Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 8, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #1,006 of 40,656
@Jack Vang does customer service right. All companies should be taking notes. After mistakes were made with my order causing the customs to not fit me, he gave me a call and is taking care of things, and is covering any expenses to get new impressions sent, throwing in the btg starlight cable, and even upgrading my faceplate design to the black carbon fiber that I had been eyeballing. Now this negative experience has flipped around and I'm feeling very positive! Empire Ears definitely puts the customer first.

Cannot agree more with Jack's awesomeness and the company's standard and innovation. 
k701smile.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,012 of 40,656
Jan 11, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #1,014 of 40,656
And Jack's shells continue to look incredible! I find that wiping them down with an antiseptic wipe makes the shells look better than new, allowing the clear-coat to shine through, looking like some magical liquid flowing over the shells. Pictures don't do it justice:

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #1,016 of 40,656
  Hi, I have a Legend Omega. I am wondering if the Zeus has a better bass than the Omega?

And anyone tried the Zeus with the Sony Walkman ZX2? Do they pair well? TIA.

My ZX2 is a japanese unit, so no volume cap. I listen at 10-20% volume bar. I just love how I don't have to raise the volume above because of how good isolation is, and this is even if I'm in a tram or in my car on the highway.

I appreciate it that the Sound Adjustment's EQ also carries over apps like Youtube and Spotify, so I can keep my desired sound sig at all times.

Used to have 3 custom EQs for my Noble Savant/ZX2 pairing. Now I just use the one below for my Zeus and I haven't touched my Savant case for 4 weeks.

Clear Bass +2
400 Hz  +0
1k Hz     -2
2.5 Hz    -2
6k Hz    +3
16k Hz   +7

I've settled on this EQ for 2 weeks now. Up to this point my audio journey, it's my wishes realized. Sublime micro detail retrieval. No sibilance, no explosive aggressive voices (had this with the Omega) . Everything presented on an equal footing. My Zeus is open and airy, with a superbly deep headstage. The astounding spacial volume cues the Zeus reveals reminds me of bats' echolocation. Tracks I used to skip because were of poor quality or sounded congested are now an intriguing rediscovery. Be it multiple voices singing/screaming different lines at the same time and/or 3 amped guitars, there's no chaos, the distinction is beautiful. I find my Zeus analytical in the best sense possible. I remember using the term 'crap forensics'. If you guys remember Jurassic Park 1. The moment when our protagonists first encounter a real living dinosaur, the sick triceratops. You had the kids who were disgusted by the mucus and the dung. But the Dr Ellie was enthusiastically finding clues:

No track is restricted so far. My Zeus is like the Incredible Dr. Pol haha

I've grown very attached to my Zeus and ZX2 pairing. I've cancelled my plans to go to London for the Headroom show at the end of this month. I no longer want to hear the KSE1500, I'll wait for CanJam to do it.
The SQ of the KSE1500 would have to be tremendously above the Zeus. Not a mere 5% upgrade, but 10-25% which a priori I find unrealistic to expect that. Only then could it make these
3 majors issues bearable:
- dac/amp is heavy and big, forces to brick stack, kills mobility. Zeus/ZX2 is light and lasts longer than anything out there.
- 7 to 9 hours amp's battery is not enough for me. If no juice in the amp, the KSE1500 sits uselessly dead in the water; would have to buy a spare SHA1500 if they ever release it separately. Can't carry a powerbank to recharge because there's only 1 usb port on either my device or the amp
- due to the android situation, if connected by usb, would drink the juice out of my dap as if was recharging it

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #1,018 of 40,656

I've grown very attached to my Zeus and ZX2 pairing. I've cancelled my plans to go to London for the Headroom show at the end of this month. I no longer want to hear the KSE1500, I'll wait for CanJam to do it.
The SQ of the KSE1500 would have to be tremendously above the Zeus. Not a mere 5% upgrade, but 10-25% which a priori I find unrealistic to expect that. Only then could it make these
3 majors issues bearable:
- dac/amp is heavy and big, forces to brick stack, kills mobility. Zeus/ZX2 is light and lasts longer than anything out there.
- 7 to 9 hours amp's battery is not enough for me. If no juice in the amp, the KSE1500 sits uselessly dead in the water; would have to buy a spare SHA1500 if they ever release it separately. Can't carry a powerbank to recharge because there's only 1 usb port on either my device or the amp
- due to the android situation, if connected by usb, would drink the juice out of my dap as if was recharging it

I'm interested in trying the KSE1500, too. I think that it's one of the few true contenders to the best of the best crown. One of the others is of course, the Zeus. 
smile.gif

Anyway, nice impressions. I can tell that you are very enamored of the Zeus, and frankly, I can't say I blame you. I'd feel the very same way too.

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,019 of 40,656
And Jack's shells continue to look incredible! I find that wiping them down with an antiseptic wipe makes the shells look better than new, allowing the clear-coat to shine through, looking like some magical liquid flowing over the shells. Pictures don't do it justice:

Yeah, they do look great! I've always wanted a nice, purple CIEM. My wife though, never stops teasing me regarding my apparent Bieber fever. 
wink.gif

But to hell with it! I'm determined to make my Zeus purple and proud!

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,020 of 40,656
The KSE1500 is a veryyy special iem. I honestly think the Zeus is one of the most worthwhile totl flagships on the market as its price and sound is very competitive with other flagships.

KSE1500 is just in a different league though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back