Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 19, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #8,701 of 40,613

Great.

I listen to all the style of music, a bit of blues, country, pop rock, Southern Rock, even symphonic metal thanks Within Temptation and Delain, I even have to listen to synthware, but it's not trip .

But, great love is Southern Rock, I discovered through Lynyrd Skynyrd and then other artists arrived like:
Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blackberry Smoke, Gov't Mule, Hogjaw, Lynyrd Skynyrd and many others.

There was a time, I discovered thanks to Mudcrutch, the famous Tom Petty.

I rediscover the music through my K10, but with the Zeus, it's another world for its style of music.

I enjoy a max of its zeus, it is possible that they must leave, because the budget will be too important for me, I make my max to keep them.

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #8,702 of 40,613
All these talk about awesome artists...

Yet here I am enjoying Johnny Denver FLAC...did no one ever have his songs? :frowning2:

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #8,703 of 40,613
He was a great singer. I just chose the Eagles over him... :wink: or James Taylor, lol. He's a local New England guy for me and I got to see him live years ago when he would play locally. Many give me a hard time about that, but music is music. Anything live it usually great to go listen to. Free concerts in teh nice weather are great. Hartford CT still has one of the great Jazz Fest weekends and even friends of mine who don't love Jazz will go and enjoy.

Another Jazz artist, who's a friend of mine, is Bill Drummond. He's a drummer and has a bunch of cool albums out. I had no idea Billy was big time until my best friend growing up told me that he loves his stuff, lol. Bill and I shop at the same audio store in New Jersey and we both own Vandersteen speakers and have similar tastes. He was written up in Stereophile a couple of years back. You can Google it as it's a great read even though it's 2 channel stuff.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #8,704 of 40,613
He was a great singer. I just chose the Eagles over him... :wink: or James Taylor, lol. He's a local New England guy for me and I got to see him live years ago when he would play locally. Many give me a hard time about that, but music is music. Anything live it usually great to go listen to. Free concerts in teh nice weather are great. Hartford CT still has one of the great Jazz Fest weekends and even friends of mine who don't love Jazz will go and enjoy.

Another Jazz artist, who's a friend of mine, is Bill Drummond. He's a drummer and has a bunch of cool albums out. I had no idea Billy was big time until my best friend growing up told me that he loves his stuff, lol. Bill and I shop at the same audio store in New Jersey and we both own Vandersteen speakers and have similar tastes. He was written up in Stereophile a couple of years back. You can Google it as it's a great read even though it's 2 channel stuff.

You have an artist or a piece of jazz to advise me so I can see what gives with Zeus.

Thank you

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #8,705 of 40,613
Try Jazz in the New Harmonic with David Chesky. He also toured with Sonny Rollins for three years back in the 90's I think it was. Now playing a lot in NYC and the surrounding area with Steve Kuhn band.

Oct 19, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #8,706 of 40,613
Finally received the letter needed to pay the invoice. £21.00 in total, so could have been worse. What really sticks in the throat though is the £10 "handling fee". Still paid up and should get them tomorrow at some point. Knowing my luck I'll come home to a "tried to deliver" card instead!

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #8,707 of 40,613
Finally received the letter needed to pay the invoice. £21.00 in total, so could have been worse. What really sticks in the throat though is the £10 "handling fee". Still paid up and should get them tomorrow at some point. Knowing my luck I'll come home to a "tried to deliver" card instead!

At least the delivery is getting closer and closer.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #8,708 of 40,613
You have an artist or a piece of jazz to advise me so I can see what gives with Zeus.

Thank you
Try HDTracks' Dave Brubeck "Time Out" remaster. Nice recording of an old classic. "Take 5" has a drum solo that is a good reflection of the percussion timbre of a phone.

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #8,709 of 40,613
On Macy Gray - 'Stripped', the rendition is top.

I find Dave Brubeck with "Take 5" is even better, it makes the Zeus better and it gives their potential.

The saxophone comes out very well without superfluous.
I had a fear of skull sickness because of it, but no, the Adel system has to help.
One feels well the percussions especially during the solo of the middle of the piece, or the low ones well.

Compared to my K10.

the saxophone is well done, but lacks a depth and space.
The rest is very poor, too far, no bass, an analytic and lifeless sound.

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #8,711 of 40,613
Afterwards, some will say that the M2s is not suitable for the zeus, but on the other hand, it fits very well with no more breath.
Who will say this? I will be finishing my Shanling M2s review by next week and I think its tinge of warmth pairs well with the Zeus. The M2s is a fine lower priced DAP.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #8,712 of 40,613
Who will say this? I will be finishing my Shanling M2s review by next week and I think it tinge of warmth pairs well with the Zeus. The M2s is a fine lower priced DAP.

lol He might be thinking of my Spartan review. I may have commented on how the M2s didn't quite do justice to Spartan's resolution and transparency. :angel:

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #8,714 of 40,613
lol He might be thinking of my Spartan review. I may have commented on how the M2s didn't quite do justice to Spartan's resolution and transparency. :angel:
Ugh...Pinky you are the culprit :k701smile:

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #8,715 of 40,613
Nobody mentioned Taylor Swift? :laughing:

But seriously, go with what you like and are familiar with, even the badly-recorded ones. Then you'll see how forgiving or merciless your IEM can be. I grew up with the loudness wars being a thing, so most of the albums I listened to growing up are horribly recorded. Then I dig into classic rock records and Chesky stuff... and hear my IEMs finally shine. My go-to albums are Hotel California and Rumors.

The last time I mentioned Taylor Swift, I got absolutely blasted on Nic's thread. You Belong With Me is my torture test for separation. :D

Thank you

I love listening to Jacob Collier's In My Room album with the Zeus (particularly the track, You and I). Most of his stuff is comprised of intricately-arranged and musically-impossibly-complex harmonies that take utmost advantage of the Zeus's top-class midrange presentation. If you wanna hear just how realistically the Zeus can portray drums and percussion, Benny Greb's Grebfruit 2 and Cleverson Silva's Just In Time are great places to start. They're produced differently too; the former has a more analogue, modern-tube-like sound, while the latter is more crisp, airy and energetic.

For a fine jazz tune that shows piano, excellent drumming and bass...try Hiromi Alive, it is always one of my test tracks.

Hiromi is in a class of her own, dude; fantastic music. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back