Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #40,471 of 40,577
Same here with the Odyssey, came back to the stock final E. I must add I have now paired the Odyssey with the code 24 and oh my what a difference, I never gave cable swapping much credence until the 24 and it has opened the Odyssey right up now to a point that I'm not even curious about trying anything else......for now 😉
I was supposed to replace this PW cable with the FiR Electron 12 version of their cable on my EVO but now with that deal I'm eyeing a purple Code with that give-away 👀

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #40,472 of 40,577
I really liked the EVO take on sprucing up the LX with the new drivers and tuning knowledge gained through R&D... I can honestly say though that I get an immeasurable amount more of overall enjoyment from Raven. It is truly a large leap between the two *IF* you enjoy EVO quality bass with more lush but defined mids and farrrrrr more extended treble in comparison. If you like bassy, dense-r, baseline treble with a sprinkle of new-age technical prowess, the EVO is a hard one to topple. I know many people swear by the Xe6 but for me that bass bloat didn't work with my library.

For me though, Raven surpasses everything EE has released. It just works, it's dialed in. It is their showcase of everything they have done well and put it into one product. The wonky issues at release probably didn't stoke the flame but in typical EE fashion, I see it being a staple down the line as its experienced more and more.
Having the RN6 THIS is why I directly replaced the LX with the EVO, it has more low-end. If I didn't have the Radon I would have kept the LX when I A/B'd them side-by-side. I was *THIS CLOSE* to getting a gold launch edition Raven and held-off a couple of months and ended up with a launch edition Evo and selling my LX to someone who could enjoy it more than me trying to justify having them both.

I even had to get my Evo's BCD repaired, but I would never turn someone away from EE because I personally had an issue with a unit. Been happy with EE since November 2020.

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #40,473 of 40,577
Having the RN6 THIS is why I directly replaced the LX with the EVO, it has more low-end. If I didn't have the Radon I would have kept the LX when I A/B'd them side-by-side. I was *THIS CLOSE* to getting a gold launch edition Raven and held-off a couple of months and ended up with a launch edition Evo and selling my LX to someone who could enjoy it more than me trying to justify having them both.

I even had to get my Evo's BCD repaired, but I would never turn someone away from EE because I personally had an issue with a unit. Been happy with EE since November 2020.
It’s all about that works for you. RN6 is great but I understand your logic seeing as the RN6 has more overall balance and extension.

I enjoyed the RN6 and Traillii but when I heard Raven, I knew it was it for me.

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #40,474 of 40,577
I really liked the EVO take on sprucing up the LX with the new drivers and tuning knowledge gained through R&D... I can honestly say though that I get an immeasurable amount more of overall enjoyment from Raven. It is truly a large leap between the two *IF* you enjoy EVO quality bass with more lush but defined mids and farrrrrr more extended treble in comparison. If you like bassy, dense-r, baseline treble with a sprinkle of new-age technical prowess, the EVO is a hard one to topple. I know many people swear by the Xe6 but for me that bass bloat didn't work with my library.

For me though, Raven surpasses everything EE has released. It just works, it's dialed in. It is their showcase of everything they have done well and put it into one product. The wonky issues at release probably didn't stoke the flame but in typical EE fashion, I see it being a staple down the line as its experienced more and more.
What kind of wonky issues occurred at launch? I'm coming to all this late. :)

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #40,475 of 40,577
What kind of wonky issues occurred at launch? I'm coming to all this late. :)
There were a few units that had strength issues at the two pin connector causing them to break under moderate pressure. Others had swirl marks in the faceplate finish that the team at EE found unacceptable. This prompted a refinishing design from mirrors to satin. These issues delayed a smooth rollout.

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #40,476 of 40,577
Makes perfect sense.

Triton may challenge the LX lovers like myself. It’s really hard to argue with its balance and execution while still being fun. At least, that’s where the demo was last at tuning wise.
Thank you, that's supportive of you, good to know a fellow LX lover.
Yeah... lookin forward to listen the final product of Triton.
Thank you for your comparison!
U welcome, last night I tried classical with the Raven, and indeed it is well presented.
Pretty much nailed what I was saying with the Raven path :wink:
I couldn't justify hanging on to the LX with the too similar role to play but between those two, you're gonna want to keep the LX.
I guess LX has its own turf well covered for know.
As I've had more time with the set now this has been my take as well. The amount of bass they've managed to cram into these things while still keeping everything else so clean, well separated, and generally normal sounding is just insane. Don't know if I've heard much else like it.

I will say that after some time really experimenting with tip rolling, I am back on the final E's. I think Raven really needs those narrow bores, and most of the wide bore stuff in the end seemed like it was messing with vocal presentation a bit - making some female vocals sound a bit peaky to my ears. Totally brings things back in line switching over to the narrow bores.
I am doing some tip rolling as well, tried the azla sednafit earmax, sony's hybrid, xelastic, etc. I agree with you that I liked it with the narrow bores. Although Coreir brass sounds great, but I havent tried it with all the genres.

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #40,477 of 40,577
Thank you, that's supportive of you, good to know a fellow LX lover.
Yeah... lookin forward to listen the final product of Triton.
Here’s my LX babies…
EELX.jpeg

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #40,478 of 40,577
Here’s my LX babies… EELX.jpeg
Looks great, isnt that the abalone? Looks much better in real than the rendering in the website.
Can you recall whether there's improvement in sound in CIEM than the universal?

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #40,479 of 40,577
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #40,481 of 40,577
You guys reckon it's safe to purchase a gold launch edition Raven?

They are still being sold locally here in South Korea. I'm wondering if the issues have been fixed, or if I would be better off buying the black ones for durability.

Was able to audition the black ones today in store, and having taken a look at the construction it's really hard to imagine cracking near the 2pin. Everything felt super solid, and the 2 pins went in and out without a huge deal of resistance.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #40,482 of 40,577

They are still being sold locally here in South Korea. I'm wondering if the issues have been fixed, or if I would be better off buying the black ones for durability.

Was able to audition the black ones today in store, and having taken a look at the construction it's really hard to imagine cracking near the 2pin. Everything felt super solid, and the 2 pins went in and out without a huge deal of resistance.
As long as your dealer has complied with EE’s recall and replaced all their old stock, there should be no difference in durability between the Gold and Black Ravens. You’re good to go for either.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #40,484 of 40,577
Looks great, isnt that the abalone? Looks much better in real than the rendering in the website.
Can you recall whether there's improvement in sound in CIEM than the universal?
Thank you. Yes, it’s the abalone. The configurator does it no justice, I agree.

The only thing I can say about custom vs universal is that you might get an improvement in sound. This is because you’re eliminating all the variables with tip size, bore size, seals, etc. If the fit is right you’ll get 100% correct performance from the IEM. The biggest advantages for me come from the comfort and isolation.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #40,485 of 40,577

If it's the satin/matte gold version and not the shiny gold version, it's for sure the completely updated version with the stronger shell. By the time the satin/matte gold was in production, they had already made all the updates to the design.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back