Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 28, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #39,781 of 40,718
Coming from the business world, I imagine they have to be bleeding money at this point just to get this thing right for the customer base. Frustrating for the customers and especially frustrating for them I am sure.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #39,782 of 40,718
I’d like the glossy black faceplate. I’d happily take a prototype off Jack’s hands.
The glossy black faceplate shouts "Raven" ! Not a fan of the new "semi-matt" black.
On the other hand, EE could have kept their house faceplates like their other IEMs.

At first I thought Odyssey was too flashy. But now I'm spoiled by it.
Anything that is too bland in design is not so appealing anymore lol.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #39,783 of 40,718
Yeah the black does look better in gloss.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #39,784 of 40,718
IMG_8132.jpeg

😎

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #39,785 of 40,718
Coming from the business world, I imagine they have to be bleeding money at this point just to get this thing right for the customer base. Frustrating for the customers and especially frustrating for them I am sure.
I noticed in your signature you have the Raven. You enjoying it? I don't see any other IEMs in your sig, if you have heard more where would you rank Raven and compared to what?

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #39,786 of 40,718
The "official launch" was August 2023. It crashed and burned.

I've noticed that there are now Launch Edition Ravens apparently sitting on shelves at retailers, but no one's really advertising it in their email ads.

Still no Standard Edition Ravens. I think EE weren't satisfied with the original matte black finish and have been trying to find an alternate. Funny how EE were plenty satisfied with the shiny versions when they released Raven, but after the recall they decided it wasn't good enough. They could have easily seen that from the get-go. Another FAIL.

You are correct. I remember EE saying at one point it was estimated late May - early June 2023 release.
Not to be judgmental, but you sound a little angry as if EE personally did something to you.

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #39,787 of 40,718
Well to bring a little light to the situation to maybe help those reluctantly accept the unfortunate delays. Everyone is aware of the shellgate which required an engineering feat to be certain there was no possibility of this in the future. Then, the faceplates alone were custom machined in a facility where Jack spent a month in-house to oversee quality control and attempt to produce consistent results. Upon the arrival, they did not meet acceptable standards as they deviated from a mirror polish and somehow introduced swirls and scratches under the coating. Then in a scramble the challenge was finding out if the bead blast would meet the design goal and be repeatable unlike the previous attempt. Now, these have to be created and affixed to the IEM to see what changes are introduced to the sound. This then requires tuning parameters to be adjusted for every unit to meet the already agreed upon and preferred signature. During this time Jack had to fly to various regions of the globe to oversee launch protocols and tend to his network to streamline everything, oh and attend audio shows in other countries as well. He may have traveled the entire world these past 2 months. After allllllll that he is at the mercy of supply chain breakdowns.

Yea it sucks but I get it and give the dude a pass. He has been getting after it like a maniac without enough time in the day to deal with it all.
1703858862744.png

Why???

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #39,790 of 40,718
Not to be judgmental, but you sound a little angry as if EE personally did something to you.
Yes, a little miffed... that EE claimed 5 months ago to have an IEM worth almost $4k that would be ready to ship within a few days/weeks and could be preordered. I paid the $4k. They sent a few out to some customers. Then they said the IEM had a small easy to fix problem, so they were holding it back, but it would be shipped "soon".

Then EE decided the original Raven didn't meet their quality standards after all and apparently wasn't worth $4k, but needed a redesigned shell to make it so. But it would be shipped in a few more weeks. Then they also decided the faceplate wasn't worthy of a $4k IEM (as if they couldn't have seen that to start with), and it, too, needed to be remanufactured. But it would ship in a couple more weeks.

So they've now been stringing me along going on 5 months, all the while giving out later and later ship dates that never happen. 5 months later, I still don't have anything for my $4k. And it appears that even though they haven't fulfilled the preorder for the now months behind schedule product, they're gone on holiday, and will not be back before 2024 to fullfill their end of the deal.

Yeah... I'm a little miffed. I personally paid $4k for an IEM 5 months ago that was purported by EE to be flagship quality, and ready to ship within a few days/weeks. It still hasn't been delivered. I still don't know when it will be delivered. That makes it personal to me.

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #39,791 of 40,718
Yes, a little miffed... that EE claimed 5 months ago to have an IEM worth almost $4k that would be ready to ship within a few days/weeks and could be preordered. I paid the $4k. They sent a few out to some customers. Then they said the IEM had a small easy to fix problem, so they were holding it back, but it would be shipped "soon".

Then EE decided the original Raven didn't meet their quality standards after all and apparently wasn't worth $4k, but needed a redesigned shell to make it so. But it would be shipped in a few more weeks. Then they also decided the faceplate wasn't worthy of a $4k IEM (as if they couldn't have seen that to start with), and it, too, needed to be remanufactured. But it would ship in a couple more weeks.

So they've now been stringing me along going on 5 months, all the while giving out later and later ship dates that never happen. 5 months later, I still don't have anything for my $4k. And it appears that even though they haven't fulfilled the preorder for the now months behind schedule product, they're gone on holiday, and will not be back before 2024 to fullfill their end of the deal.

Yeah... I'm a little miffed. I personally paid $4k for an IEM 5 months ago that was purported by EE to be flagship quality, and ready to ship within a few days/weeks. It still hasn't been delivered. I still don't know when it will be delivered. That makes it personal to me.
Yeah I'd be pretty goddamn pissed if someone was messing around with my 4K for this long and in that way. Did you ask for a refund?

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #39,792 of 40,718
Yeah I'd be pretty goddamn pissed if someone was messing around with my 4K for this long and in that way. Did you ask for a refund?
No, I didn't ask for refund. I still want what I paid for. Although this entire debacle has made it lose much of its initial lustre. But I'll get over it... eventually. If and when EE eventually delivers the Raven I preordered.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #39,794 of 40,718
I noticed in your signature you have the Raven. You enjoying it? I don't see any other IEMs in your sig, if you have heard more where would you rank Raven and compared to what?
So I am basically a life-long headphone aficionado so I spent most of my time going through that side of audio equipment. Since most of my favorites tend to be open backs I wanted to start researching a promising in ear monitor for the times sound leakage would be problematic.

I have heard a few being the RN6, a few other EE products and some I’m sure I’m forgetting. All the others were good and frankly surprised me compared to headphones. Raven seems to have a more natural but exciting sound and the bone conduction really creates a headspace that I enjoy. RN6 was close but the overall signature wasn’t quite there for me.

The reason I only have one is because it does what I want and I don’t want to get caught up in the financial spiral I often found myself in cycling through headphones and dac/amplifiers to get that extra 1%. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to though. I’ll probably find a nearby canjam and test others then and there instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back