Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 27, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #38,881 of 40,713
Good evening from Atlanta! I see the posts and I understand the concerns. I just want to quickly point out a few things:

1. Cable Rolling Technique - Prior to my recent update, we had not provided specific guidance on cable rolling with our products. We recognize this oversight. Rest assured, those affected will receive a replacement unit either from their dealer or us directly.

2. Guidance Included - From here on, each RAVEN unit will include a detailed guide on proper cable handling. We encourage all users to familiarize themselves with this guide, which encapsulates the points discussed here.

3. Breaking in the socket - We will be pre-enlarging the sockets on all forthcoming units and will also undertake a few rounds of cable rolling to confirm overall integrity. This adjustment in our Standard Operating Procedure is designed to minimize potential challenges for future owners.

4. For Current Owners - Dealers have been instructed to return any RAVENs in their inventory for the socket enlargement. Current owners can also avail of this service at no cost, including ground shipping. Interested parties should email me directly at Jack@Empireears.com with Leasah at support@empireears.com, accompanied by a purchase receipt.

5. For Secondhand Owners - We understand that circumstances vary but we're here to assist. Please reach out with warranty-related concerns, and we'll endeavor to support you. However, we do urge users to treat their units with care and not test their limits.

6. Socket Design and Shell Wall Thickness:

The issues some users have faced with RAVEN aren’t indicative of a design flaw. As mentioned the wall tolerances, a standard we've upheld for nearly a decade, have been tweaked slightly to be even slightly thicker in the RAVEN to accommodate the stainless steel faceplate. The main challenges arise from cable rolling and I totally get it.

image (1).png

Take a look at the RAVEN’s design specifics: the socket, which you can see highlighted in red above, is anchored solely by the shell walls. This particular design choice was deliberate, marrying acoustics, ergonomics, and the strategic use of the interior space for components. From the feedback we’ve gathered over its developmental phase, it was evident that alternatives like a protruding socket or an even larger shell wouldn't sit well as the unit itself is already large enough. It is 3D printed resin and as such this design necessitates mindful handling. Any forceful or off-angle actions can jeopardize the unit.

I want to highlight that our comprehensive tradeshow tests, conducted across China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and London with multiple RAVEN units, experienced no issues. If you are attending the SoCal CanJam event this weekend, we warmly invite you to personally test out cable rolling with RAVEN.

Regarding the launch delays, I deeply regret the setbacks we've encountered. As I write this, I am surrounded by over 5XX RAVEN units awaiting their final touch with a faceplate. We are commencing production for the standard edition and are determined to expedite the shipment of as many units as possible.

I genuinely thank you all for your unwavering support. I'm profoundly sorry for the delays, and I deeply regret any disappointment we may have caused. Your patience and understanding are truly appreciated.

Thank you for this post! This gives me more confidence in my purchase.

Based on @Jack Vang's post, it gave me some confidence to try and cable swap. To my surprise, it came out like butter which was very different than the pair that imploded on me. So let's chop that one up to bad luck and legitimate mfg defect.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #38,882 of 40,713
Thank you for this post! This gives me more confidence in my purchase.

Based on @Jack Vang's post, it gave me some confidence to try and cable swap. To my surprise, it came out like butter which was very different than the pair that imploded on me. So let's chop that one up to bad luck and legitimate mfg defect.
That’s why I offered a voice of reason after seeing a few catastrophic failures. I tested a few of them without lacquer which theoretically should be weaker, without issue. Hopefully this remains the case because I’m not sure that sound can be achieved any other way than it was engineered.

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #38,884 of 40,713
Ok, I now, listened to the Raven now for full 2 days while working and consciously when not working. in the latter case probably louder than I should. I found a noticeable increase in the upper region, not in a bad way but making all even more airy than before.

For me, the Raven sounds like the Odin and Evo had a baby which carries the best of both parents. The Evo contributes the visceral and full-bodied bass, the Odin gives the overall extremely detailed and dynamic presentation. However, the negatives of both are gone - Evo’s all over-the-place bass and Odin’s piercing treble (the reason why I sold it). A special new is the super-wide and also high soundstage. Super delighted so far.

Regarding cables: of course one should be able to cable roll if somebody wants to, but I personally find the stock cable remarkably good.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #38,885 of 40,713
Ok, I now, listened to the Raven now for full 2 days while working and consciously when not working. in the latter case probably louder than I should. I found a noticeable increase in the upper region, not in a bad way but making all even more airy than before.

For me, the Raven sounds like the Odin and Evo had a baby which carries the best of both parents. The Evo contributes the visceral and full-bodied bass, the Odin gives the overall extremely detailed and dynamic presentation. However, the negatives of both are gone - Evo’s all over-the-place bass and Odin’s piercing treble (the reason why I sold it). A special new is the super-wide and also high soundstage. Super delighted so far.

Regarding cables: of course one should be able to cable roll if somebody wants to, but I personally find the stock cable remarkably good.
Awesome I had a very similar experience! Which version did you get?

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #38,887 of 40,713
The shiny one ☝️. Looks better in real than pics, like the looks as well.
Awesome! If it wasn’t for the damage issues, this might be the most hyped Iem out there the sound is just stupid good the raven and ve aura Took a nice step forward in sound quality over most of the competition imo

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #38,888 of 40,713
Awesome! If it wasn’t for the damage issues, this might be the most hyped Iem out there the sound is just stupid good the raven and ve aura Took a nice step forward in sound quality over most of the competition imo
Have you listened to the aura? How would it compare tot he Rn6 or even the Raven? 😄

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #38,889 of 40,713
Have you listened to the aura? How would it compare tot he Rn6 or even the Raven? 😄
Yes, I just got my aura after testing it alongside Many TOTL iems including xe6/UmMason/Phoenix /annihilator,/ and many others for hours, and it really stood out as a push forward in pleasurable musical engagement especially within the mid range compared to all the totls I’ve tested with the annihilator 2021 as a main reference point . The Raven was also a push forward within engaging sound stage and bass presence while maintaining clarity

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #38,890 of 40,713

If you get a chance try Chiron… it worked remarkably well with Odyssey and I have a sneaky suspicion it would work marvellously well with Ravens cavernous sound 😜

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #38,892 of 40,713
I asked another person in the community that owns the rn6 and aura and prefers the aura

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #38,893 of 40,713
This is what another one of my friends said to me, which I find pretty accurate lol

“ Emm, probably both if money allows. I prefer the timbre from VE over any other brands, I like the bass from Raven. It is really hard, man. If I have to pick one now, it would be Aura, cause VE usually has higher resell value, and there are no potential quality issues.”

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #38,894 of 40,713
I preferred Raven to both, Aura was warm and lush sounding overall and not as attention grabbing as Raven while RN6 came across as more reference-y in signature.
Yeah, undeniably Raven is an attention grabbing monster🔥 aura also hitting a sweet spot, especially in that lush mid range

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #38,895 of 40,713
yeah I'm a little split :p
I have funds for 1, and I already have the Rn6 and Trifecta. So no lack in bass.
Another option would be to let go of the Rn6, but I dont know about that yet.

Trifecta will stay in the collection for a long time, that I do know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back