Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Aug 13, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #38,266 of 40,601
It’s worth noting that the vast majority of measurement rigs are utterly incapable of measuring the impact the bone conduction drivers have on the sound signature.

Agreed.

Edit: someone just kindly showed me that some BC drivers have actually been captured on squigs. So still up for debate 😊.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #38,267 of 40,601
I have a question about the sound impressions so far.

Back a few months ago, it seems like a person or two suggested the Raven sound signature might be described as being closer to a Legend X with better mids and highs more so than it's an extended EVO. That seems to me to describe ample sub and low end but better, more revealing mid & high detail. But now the production version is being described more as an Odin with slightly more low end, smoothed upper mids and low-treble, better highs extension, but not as much sub-low end as Odyssey.

That seems like the sound signature may be a little different on the production Raven than the prototype version that was being demoed around. So has the sound signature changed a little from demo to production?... or it's relatively similar but just being described differently now?

I really liked Odyssey (but no longer have a functional set due to puppy shredded one earpiece), but felt they were a little light in the lower mids/mids sometimes, and maybe a little hot sometimes in some trebles. The impressions of Raven so far seem to be indicating the lows and especially sub low end now being less than Odyssey (and opposed to the original Raven descriptions being a better Legend X) have me wondering if it's gonna be enough low / sub-low impact and fullness for some electronic music to suit my taste.

Is the low and sub-low end really that much less quantity than Odyssey?

Odyssey has 2 less Est drivers also made it more easy to drive.

Raven's low and sub low is around 1/3 plenty of weight and punch compared with Odyssey.

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #38,268 of 40,601
I am thinking how the staging and space of Raven compares to the other BC IEMs in the market, I understand it is suppose to help create better spatial imaging

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #38,270 of 40,601
Aug 14, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #38,271 of 40,601
I am thinking how the staging and space of Raven compares to the other BC IEMs in the market, I understand it is suppose to help create better spatial imaging
For Raven, I can't think of an IEM that outclasses it in terms of soundstage depth, width and overall three-dimensionality. I felt like Odyssey lost a little something in the vividness of the imaging compared to Odin, but Raven seems to improve on the soundstage and imaging of both.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Aug 14, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #38,273 of 40,601
I of course read the specs of the Raven cable, but could anybody comment on its ergonomics? As I see it so far, Stormbreaker cable seems vastly superior in terms of sheathing and handling. Thanks

It’s just fine. The original one was a thicker less pliable cable so they pivoted to something that sounded on par but was more user friendly. As per the usual, EE went through several cables and had one made specifically for it.

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #38,274 of 40,601
For Raven, I can't think of an IEM that outclasses it in terms of soundstage depth, width and overall three-dimensionality. I felt like Odyssey lost a little something in the vividness of the imaging compared to Odin, but Raven seems to improve on the soundstage and imaging of both.
so , im just wondering if raven is an completly upgrade from odin on any aspects or just an odin with more bass? may i know your opinion?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #38,275 of 40,601
so , im just wondering if raven is an completly upgrade from odin on any aspects or just an odin with more bass? may i know your opinion?
It’s an all around upgrade. Staging, space, bass, tonal balance, treble extension, lower mid weight.

Even without these other, simply putting a W10 into an Odin would improve it vastly so it’s really in a different class altogether.

Aug 15, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #38,276 of 40,601
That's a really challenging statement for me as a soundstage feticist. Please excuse my skepticism: have you ever heard or even compared UM Mason FS, UM Mentor, The Bird and Xe6 for example? And how does the soundstage compare between Raven and Ronin (which also has a fantastic soundstage) or Raven and Viking Ragnar (which has an even better soundstage)?

Another question: can you please post pictures of Raven compared to Ronin? That would be very important to know.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #38,279 of 40,601
Stephen is from Bloom Audio. He is a good guy and fun to speak with at shows and on the phone. However he does not sell UM, Fir and Oriolus so no comparisons to the Bird or Mentor.
I’ve heard them all, side by side. I have an affinity for EE products (besides phantom) so I’m just waiting and hoping someone else can answer these comparison questions.

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #38,280 of 40,601
That's a really challenging statement for me as a soundstage feticist. Please excuse my skepticism: have you ever heard or even compared UM Mason FS, UM Mentor, The Bird and Xe6 for example? And how does the soundstage compare between Raven and Ronin (which also has a fantastic soundstage) or Raven and Viking Ragnar (which has an even better soundstage)?

Another question: can you please post pictures of Raven compared to Ronin? That would be very important to know.

Thanks to Tom (audioessence) I did an a/b/c between raven, mentor and ronin. Ended up ordering raven.

All three are pretty impressive. Stage wise they are all comparable, raven was not burned in so it can get a bit ahead as it opens up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back