Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 2, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #33,001 of 40,629
@Joshyy73 , excellent recommendation on the 1960s (Stormchaser) and EVO is a great combination for classical music! It might “sweeten” the EVO to much with rock and jazz, but it sounds damn good with strings!

Oct 2, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #33,002 of 40,629
They aren't “shouty” or “peaky,” I find them forward, but (too me) in a desirable manner. First, the now cliche, “I'm hearing things I didn't know where in familiar recordings,” is very much the case. On example being James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain,” I always thought there was only a cello in the accompanying instruments, when it's actually a cello and an upright bass. A small detail, but one which enhances the overall musical experience for me.

For the types of music I listen to there's a fine line between”in your face,” and “enhancing the excitement.” I was just listening to DuPre’s “Elgar Concerto” (yes I've attained the rarified air of being old, boring, and a nerd, all wrapped into one), and thinking that the EVO was hitting that line perfectly, Dean and Jack have done a masterful job in running the EVO!
I find them in a desirable manner as well. They really needed to be elevated a bit over the LX to improve the detail retrieval. It’s tough to cut through bass as potent as EE delivers. They got it right in my opinion.

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #33,003 of 40,629
@Joshyy73 , excellent recommendation on the 1960s (Stormchaser) and EVO is a great combination for classical music! It might “sweeten” the EVO to much with rock and jazz, but it sounds damn good with strings!
@Wildcatsare1 No problem and glad you appreciate the Stormbreaker on the EVO :). For me it's definitely one of my favourite cable pairings so far with the EVO. The Genesis cable is definitley still a great option due to its pure copper build but at least there is now a great alternative to the stock option.

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #33,004 of 40,629
@Wildcatsare1 No problem and glad you appreciate the Stormbreaker on the EVO :). For me it's definitely one of my favourite cable pairings so far with the EVO. The Genesis cable is definitley still a great option due to its pure copper build but at least there is now a great alternative to the stock option.
Has anybody tried to pair EVO with Socrates? How does it compare to the stock cable pls?

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #33,005 of 40,629
I have one, I haven't hooked it to my EVO yet, I should be sleeping but I'll give it a shot!

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #33,007 of 40,629
No problem. Odin is less linear and accelerates from low to high mid much faster which is what will pull high mids closer to you and make them sound elevated. The EVO and it’s linear rise coupled with big bass make the high mids less forward and less elevated sounding.

2BFB708E-CD47-4DEB-9A48-E44D95CA5022.png
from what can be read in early reviews, EVO is using the BC in a somewhat different and "bigger/more extended" way than MESTMKII. EVO BC contribution seems to go beyond just stage/technicalities, and extend well in modifying the fr, particularly in the mids where all measurements so far show that strange "dip".
granted the graph of MKII is not including the contribution of BC, but I think the graph of the EVO is IMHO (again, only reading to reviews so far) somewhat misleading, mids are far too recessed in the graph versus hearing experience, while Odin graph could adhere more to hearing experience given it is not using the WX.
anyway, I hope I will be able to soon experience the difference by myself :relaxed:

Oct 3, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #33,009 of 40,629
from what can be read in early reviews, EVO is using the BC in a somewhat different and "bigger/more extended" way than MESTMKII. EVO BC contribution seems to go beyond just stage/technicalities, and extend well in modifying the fr, particularly in the mids where all measurements so far show that strange "dip".
granted the graph of MKII is not including the contribution of BC, but I think the graph of the EVO is IMHO (again, only reading to reviews so far) somewhat misleading, mids are far too recessed in the graph versus hearing experience, while Odin graph could adhere more to hearing experience given it is not using the WX.
anyway, I hope I will be able to soon experience the difference by myself :relaxed:
My 2 cents. At the beginning, I felt mids and treble were somewhat recessed. Bass for my personal test too much forward. This changed a lot after 40-50hrs. Now mids are nicely present and treble is finally where I need it to be including all the detail. Bass is still there but with more definition and control.

People please, forget about measurements for a while and just use your own ears to evaluate. Also, give any gear you test some time. Often enough, it's worth it. 😉

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #33,013 of 40,629
Odin has excelent depth for sure as it has excelent imaging. But i would expect EVO to be holographic, being slightly wider and a lot taller due to BC.
EVO doesn’t have EST’s… I’m not sure how the BC would effect the treble but from the impressions so far, the treble (and subsequently soundstage height) looks to be the least memorable aspect of the IEM.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #33,014 of 40,629
EVO doesn’t have EST’s… I’m not sure how the BC would effect the treble but from the impressions so far, the treble (and subsequently soundstage height) looks to be the least memorable aspect of the IEM.
Interesting i think im getting EVOs picture a bit wrong then. But i would not be surprised if ESTs contribute to height of staging.

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #33,015 of 40,629
Interesting i think im getting EVOs picture a bit wrong then. But i would not be surprised if ESTs contribute to height of staging.
The ESTs may help with creating air which in turn may help soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back