Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 28, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #29,746 of 40,686
Well, Odins are finally here!! I’ve only had them in my ears for a couple hours but I’m simply amazed by their incredible detail and massive soundstage. They’re so similar to the LXs in some ways yet so different in others. It’s definitely an Empire Ears product and you can really appreciate the tuning.

Here’s my down and dirty comparison:
(On a scale of 1 to 10)

LX
Bass: 10
Clarity: 7
Soundstage: 8

Odin
Bass: 6
Clarity: 9
Soundstage: 10

Going back and forth, it’s crazy to hear the always present bass with the LX. Shockingly, it still lets you have excellent clarity and soundstage. I do wish the Odin bass was increased one notch to help with the extension into the mid bass but the clarity is incredible and the soundstage is nuts!! (I turned the volume up a little bit more to achieve the desired bass effect.) The Odins are truly flagship reference monitors, not fatiguing, and can to be listened to for long periods if desired.

What I did discover is that they’re not ideal for the new iPhones because of the limited power from the lightning port (I know, I know.) If I try to listen to the Odins above level 50 in high gain it shorts out the S1. I had to plug the S1 into my Surface Pro to give it a better source and more power. An android based phone, dedicated DAP, or something like the Mojo or Hifiman HM1000 will be necessary to optimally drive them.

Guess we all know what I’ll be researching for the next month now. In the meantime, it’s going to be fun listening to my entire music library with the Odins!! 😂
I’d say the DX300 would be worth checking out. It pairs well with both LX & Odin :)

May 28, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #29,748 of 40,686
I’ve been looking at the DX300 and R8 but want to understand the hardware differences, specifically the chips used and their pros and cons. If I had a sugar momma I’d just get a LPTG Ti!! 😂😂😂
Haha! Yeah I'd love to try an LPGT Ti too, but the lack of streaming is a bit of a dealbreaker for me. Hope Lotoo bring out an Android dap eventually

May 28, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #29,749 of 40,686
do we have any more Zeus XR owners who went on to Odin , besides @KuroKitsu ?

impressions ?

May 28, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #29,751 of 40,686
Id be carefull with dx300 and Odin pairing if you dont like too forward upper mids. They both emphasize that FR.
Oh does it? I haven't really noticed the forward upper mids on Odin with DX300, but tbf I haven't got an issue with Odin's upper mids in general. I will listen out for it next time :)

May 28, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #29,752 of 40,686
Oh does it? I haven't really noticed the forward upper mids on Odin with DX300, but tbf I haven't got an issue with Odin's upper mids in general. I will listen out for it next time :)
Likewise. I actually love upper mid boost. But some people reported it being too much for them. R8 however balances it out quite well. Gives it a bit fuller mid range without loosing clarity. You can also turn on turbo mode to boost upper mids but not to an extent of dx300. And ibasso have really nailed it integrating mids into soundstage.
While R8 will sound more ethereal, dx300 will have that sense of depth in the mids.
Its difficult to explain but thats how i felt it.

May 28, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #29,753 of 40,686
Likewise. I actually love upper mid boost. But some people reported it being too much for them. R8 however balances it out quite well. Gives it a bit fuller mid range without loosing clarity. You can also turn on turbo mode to boost upper mids but not to an extent of dx300. And ibasso have really nailed it integrating mids into soundstage.
While R8 will sound more ethereal, dx300 will have that sense of depth in the mids.
Its difficult to explain but thats how i felt it.
Thanks for the impressions :) I’d love to try R8 one day. The reported high noise floor/hissing was a turn off for me but I couldn’t imagine that being an issue on LX and/or Odin.

May 28, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #29,754 of 40,686
Thanks for the impressions :) I’d love to try R8 one day. The reported high noise floor/hissing was a turn off for me but I couldn’t imagine that being an issue on LX and/or Odin.
On the R8, there is very few sound difference between 4.4 and 3.5 outputs.
I solved my hissing floor problem coming from DX220Max and with Odin by switching to 3.5 output. But to be honest it is just because DX220Max is just fu**ing dark...
R8 is a great DAP for sure.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #29,755 of 40,686
Definitely not with LX. Thats what i love about EE. Their iems are well engineered and not source picky.

May 28, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #29,756 of 40,686
Definitely not with LX. Thats what i love about EE. Their iems are well engineered and not source picky.
Yep, can confirm zero hiss with LX/Bravado MkII on R8 in high-gain/turbo in 4.4 or 3.5. Properly engineered IEMs that don't hiss.

May 28, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #29,758 of 40,686
The hiss is the only drawback of the R8, for me. Other than that it is great, for SQ, software, speed, etc. I am addressing the hiss with an ifi iematch. Hoping for a 4.4 version to be released soon... With the LX the hiss is negligible to non-existent, but with Odin it was considerable, for me. (But I have bat ears.)

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #29,759 of 40,686
Well, Odins are finally here!! I’ve only had them in my ears for a couple hours but I’m simply amazed by their incredible detail and massive soundstage. They’re so similar to the LXs in some ways yet so different in others. It’s definitely an Empire Ears product and you can really appreciate the tuning.

What I did discover is that they’re not ideal for the new iPhones because of the limited power from the lightning port (I know, I know.) If I try to listen to the Odins above level 50 in high gain it shorts out the S1. I had to plug the S1 into my Surface Pro to give it a better source and more power. An android based phone, dedicated DAP, or something like the Mojo or Hifiman HM1000 will be necessary to optimally drive them.

Guess we all know what I’ll be researching for the next month now. In the meantime, it’s going to be fun listening to my entire music library with the Odins!! 😂
Congrats on the Odins!

I was also considering the L&P W2 but read about the power issues with iPhones. Currently using the Hidizs S9 on my iPhone with both the Odins & LX since I sold my A&K. Call me crazy but to me this combination sounds better than the A&K which was more expensive than my iPhone 11Pro 256gb and the S9 together! Btw. I am so glad to have the perfect UI of the iPhone back and no more software problems….

Regarding power, even with the LX wich are a more demanding than the Odins, I can’t even go halfway the volume slider with the S9. Muuuch much headroom available. This thing is a beast.

Measurements are also top notch: Hidizs S9 Review

May 28, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #29,760 of 40,686
Congrats on the Odins!

I was also considering the L&P W2 but read about the power issues with iPhones. Currently using the Hidizs S9 on my iPhone with both the Odins & LX since I sold my A&K. Call me crazy but to me this combination sounds better than the A&K which was more expensive than my iPhone 11Pro 256gb and the S9 together! Btw. I am so glad to have the perfect UI of the iPhone back and no more software problems….

Regarding power, even with the LX wich are a more demanding than the Odins, I can’t even go halfway the volume slider with the S9. Muuuch much headroom available. This thing is a beast.

Measurements are also top notch: Hidizs S9 Review
The power issue with iPhones is such a disappointment. Sometimes I wish I had gone the Samsung Galaxy route but I’m so invested now in iCloud that the transition would be brutally painful. If only they made a Mojo Mini with 3.5/4.4/USB-C ports!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back