Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 12, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #29,326 of 40,591
You need yourself a Hugo 2 :wink: it'll blow your socks off.
Oi I’m broke after those Odin’s so no further loose encouragement on this thread!!!!

Enjoying both my sources at the moment - the 1A has enough customisations to play with! Of course I believe the Odins will scale well, but I’m still surprised how easy they are to drive.

May 12, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #29,327 of 40,591
Agree to disagree on that. Been plenty of earphones I've A/B'd new and burned in and they've sounded different but ok.

I just listen while it burns in.

I wonder if its deviations in the actual product than it is giving it time. I dont want to continue this debate as it has its place elsewhere but i have tried a few iems that were "burned in" vs not and they sounded the same. However, i have gone back to other iems and they sounded so completely off and never really returned while others took a few minutes to readjust. Somewhere in the chain its real but more so for others id imagine.

I did this comparison with the LX and Anole VX. Anole VX sounded god awful for a few minutes.

May 12, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #29,329 of 40,591
So the tip of choice is the Spinfit CP155?

I'm going to buy a bunch and test this theory of using a larger tip and sitting then further out. Spinfit or Xelastic
I use spinfit CP155’s with mandarin small foam inserts... can wear them for hours without discomfort. You need to twist and pull when you removed them though else tips can get stuck in your ear

May 12, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #29,332 of 40,591
I've been listening for the last hour. These Custom LX IEMs are unbelievable. The sound stage is tall and wide. I am getting the experience I was seeking. The Wild Rose Club in Athens Greece where there were more speakers than people. I like a transparent sound and these bad boys are totally clear just with deep and controlled bass. This is beating my wildest upside expectations. I did pick up a PW 1960s cable to pair with it. Custom is definitely better than Universal. Now I know why Josh took an extra set of impressions for me. If this is what happens to the LX, what happens with the Odin in custom form? I am thinking you can't just listen to reviewers. They can't know what the custom sounds like and they aren't necessarily using the right source either.
Many people unfortunately judge the LX after a quick listen. They do need time to burn in and cable / source synergy is a must for them to shine. The cable they come with does them a disservice honestly. I don't fault EE though because for what they retail for you're getting a supreme product and cost is mostly focused into IEM.

With time and a little bit of synergy searching, the LX is an a-s-s kicker.

May 12, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #29,333 of 40,591
Many people unfortunately judge the LX after a quick listen. They do need time to burn in and cable / source synergy is a must for them to shine. The cable they come with does them a disservice honestly. I don't fault EE though because for what they retail for you're getting a supreme product and cost is mostly focused into IEM.

How is it compared to Odin? Not sure I can get my hands on a pair to test :frowning2:

May 13, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #29,334 of 40,591

I agree to the portion of judging over a quick listen...it's a hard to judge IEM, it can be boomy at first listen. After some brain burn in it is well balanced and versatile.

I disagree on the cable. I haven't tried many cables, but Ares II is an ok cable to it, no need to spend many bucks for a new one, if one want it can and it will be slightly noticeable. I like my LX with Ares and Eros. After 10 min listening the brain gets used to it, the differences are gone and the enjoyment is the same.
How is it compared to Odin? Not sure I can get my hands on a pair to test :frowning2:
Get in touch with @Damz87 or @mynamesjeff , they may help you with this comparison. I would, but mine is Custom.

I remember minidisc also used to facilitate some at home auditions for a few of their products. (they offered me a few cables to try with my LX when I bought it)

May 13, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #29,336 of 40,591
I use spinfit CP155’s with mandarin small foam inserts... can wear them for hours without discomfort. You need to twist and pull when you removed them though else tips can get stuck in your ear
I'm in the process of trying to find alternatives to Spiral Dots, not because of sound or comfort (both among the best) but because they regularly stay in my ears after use. To me there's no worse feeling. If only JVC made Spirals with slightly firmer or narrower stems that gripped more, like literally EVERY OTHER tip on the market.

May 13, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #29,337 of 40,591
I'm in the process of trying to find alternatives to Spiral Dots, not because of sound or comfort (both among the best) but because they regularly stay in my ears after use. To me there's no worse feeling. If only JVC made Spirals with slightly firmer or narrower stems that gripped more, like literally EVERY OTHER tip on the market.
How long do you wear a single pair for? I usually start having that issue after using them for many months.

They must simply lose grip strength after a while. Definitely on LX nozzle. Had that not just with SDs.

Another thing. I take it nozzles of each shell is not identical size/shape with each unit. The variation there might add to it.

May 13, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #29,338 of 40,591
How long do you wear a single pair for? I usually start having that issue after using them for many months.

They must simply lose grip strength after a while. Definitely on LX nozzle. Had that not just with SDs.

Another thing. I take it nozzles of each shell is not identical size/shape with each unit. The variation there might add to it.
Yeah I use them for months and months. Other than the grip strength they look like new. If the stem was half a mm thinner it would grip the IEM much tighter and never come off. Hoping the Acoustune 07 work out, because they're very comfortable too, and I can use Sedna from time to time but only for shorter periods. May try some Tenmak Whirlwind tips which I've heard mixed things about - some love them, some don't. Ultimately I'd love to switch to customs one day, and LX is #1 in line if that were to happen.

May 13, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #29,339 of 40,591
May try some Tenmak Whirlwind tips which I've heard mixed things about - some love them, some don't.
Didn't work for me. Very wide opening and the nozzle sticks out. You need to add a spacer with 64audio iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back