Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 16, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #28,742 of 40,587
Apr 16, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #28,743 of 40,587
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #28,745 of 40,587
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #28,746 of 40,587
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #28,747 of 40,587
I can’t believe how similar yet how dissimilar the LX and LXSE are!! It’s quite a trip hearing it if you have both to go back and forth between.

The LX bass is definitely looser and more fun, mids aren’t intrusive, and highs are rich and slightly sparkly. Vocals are centered but back a little and the sound stage is huge.

The SE bass is noticeably tighter and slightly less boomy, mids are a little more audible, and highs sound rich and sparkly too but it feels smoother transitioning from the mids. Vocals are also centered but they definitely sound closer and the sound stage is slightly smaller despite still sounding great.

If sub bass is what you’re after you simply cannot beat the LX!! It comes with some sacrifices in the mids and highs but you get a great overall sound with an amazing sound stage.

If you want the sound to feel a little more intimate and prefer a cleaner bridge between the lows and highs at the cost of a little less sub bass then the SE is for you.

Keep in mind this is what my ears hear but damn are these both extraordinary IEMs!! I can totally understand now why the SEs were made.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #28,748 of 40,587
I can’t believe how similar yet how dissimilar the LX and LXSE are!! It’s quite a trip hearing it if you have both to go back and forth between.

The LX bass is definitely looser and more fun, mids aren’t intrusive, and highs are rich and slightly sparkly. Vocals are centered but back a little and the sound stage is huge.

The SE bass is noticeably tighter and slightly less boomy, mids are a little more audible, and highs sound rich and sparkly too but it feels smoother transitioning from the mids. Vocals are also centered but they definitely sound closer and the sound stage is slightly smaller despite still sounding great.

If sub bass is what you’re after you simply cannot beat the LX!! It comes with some sacrifices in the mids and highs but you get a great overall sound with an amazing sound stage.

If you want the sound to feel a little more intimate and prefer a cleaner bridge between the lows and highs at the cost of a little less sub bass then the SE is for you.

Keep in mind this is what my ears hear but damn are these both extraordinary IEMs!! I can totally understand now why the SEs were made.
By that description you can pair an LX and LX SE and call it a day. Personally the LX sounds more 'unique' at what it does. Once you give up that combination of extreme bass depth and soundstage width/technical prowess and start messing with the mids there are other IEMs that can come in and do a job. Just my 0.02 - if the spice that makes the LX so special isn't for you, the LX SE might well be.

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #28,749 of 40,587
By that description you can pair an LX and LX SE and call it a day. Personally the LX sounds more 'unique' at what it does. Once you give up that combination of extreme bass depth and soundstage width/technical prowess and start messing with the mids there are other IEMs that can come in and do a job. Just my 0.02 - if the spice that makes the LX so special isn't for you, the LX SE might well be.
My wallet couldn't stomach the LX SE when it dropped. And not being able to demo was a no no. But how I have a Odin.. So it feels kinda moot

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #28,750 of 40,587
I haven’t had the pleasure of hearing any of EE’s other flagship monitors but I’m fairly confident I’d be longing for more bass with most, it not all of them now that the LX and SE have set the bar so high. I’m with you on the “LX spice” though. There’s simply nothing out there that can match the LX and it’s my #1 for sure.

The SE is the clear champ for me with about 20-25% of my library but because I listen to extremely bass heavy music 90% of the time I find it harder and harder resisting the urge to give them a new home.

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #28,751 of 40,587
My wallet couldn't stomach the LX SE when it dropped. And not being able to demo was a no no. But how I have a Odin.. So it feels kinda moot
I want so bad to try the Odins but am worried they’ll just sit on the shelf 90% of the time like the SE are now. I’m trying very hard to behave until my customs land.

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #28,752 of 40,587
Yeah, I don’t think the LXSE is necessary if you already own Odin and LX. Odin is in another class technically (better detail retrieval, better coherency, better imaging, better dynamics etc).

Tonality wise the LXSE is warmer, with more mid bass and thicker lower mids, but less forward upper mids and treble compared to Odin.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #28,754 of 40,587
Odin bling...
3218840C-152B-40C1-AC08-F2A7AB019EBD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back