Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 30, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #18,811 of 40,587
Boomy or anemic don't mean anything without some kind of context and I used the former to show how worthless the term is. It's not really descriptive just standing there by itself. Many folks here love the Legend X and don't find it boomy at all. Many people love the Zeus and don't find it anemic. There are better descriptive words that can be used. And if I use the term boomy, and I don't like hearing music the way you do, or listen to the type of music you listen to, does my use of the word have value? What do you gain from my describing it in that manner? When I discussed the Legend X briefly last year, I simply said the sound signature was not for me while the Zeus was. I didn't say it sounded like my head was in a fishbowl filled with soup and I couldn't hear anything beyond the thickness of its bass. That really doesn't help anyone. I was much more descriptive of how I found the Phantom, even though in the end I decided I didn't like it. Anyone reading my thoughts there could understand exactly what my points of reference were, and why. And that would hopefully aid them in making a choice to buy one or not.

And yes, as I've been saying, listing what you listen to and with what source matters as well. I found the Wraith review incredibly helpful because the reviewer actually described in appropriate language what was happening in each area (though I don't recall music being discussed). Every time I've planned to buy a TOTL item, I've read multiple reviews, read comments here, and, most importantly, pm'd people who have what I am looking at to find out what they are listening to. That helps me determine whether to purchase something or not. I bought my Zeus without hearing it first, based on multiple reviews and comments here. I knew it wasn't bass-centric. I knew it had loads of detail. I knew it had forward mid (well, it does in X). I knew it had a lot of treble. Flickernick's review/shootout was incredibly helpful because he used descriptive language (in all of his iem reviews) that made sense to me.

Jul 30, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #18,812 of 40,587
To weigh in on the review topic, balance is the key (as with all things in life). For me, a review should be able to describe the sound someone hears, along with giving the reader enough reference points to have a rough guess at what it will sound like to them.

Technical descriptions are great, but I find comparisons and descriptions of how the IEM handles specific parts of tracks really useful, which is why I try and write all my reviews in that manner. I'm also a technical kind of guy in my day job, but not remotely technical when it comes to understanding the finer intricacies of frequency response and phase coherence, so will leave that to more learned fellows like our Deezel or Nic.

I also agree the most important thing is finding a few reviewers (not just one) who share the same preferences as you, and hear IEMs the same way you do (or describe them the same way you hear them). ALL reviews are subjective, and ALL reviews are essentially someone's opinion. Working out whose opinions match yours in any shared points of reference you may have then using them as a reliable sounding board for your next sonic adventure is definitely the most sensible was to do this.

On a final note, even though the output of some of the reviewers on here is phenomenal in both quantity and quality, remember that the vast majority are still hobbyists at heart - there are only a handful of "Pro" reviewers in the Audiophile world, so the bulk of what we all read is written by guys doing it out of passion. No one owns the truth when it comes to something as emotive and subjective as music.

Just my 0.02c! :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #18,813 of 40,587
There are better descriptive words that can be used
It's not really descriptive just standing there by itself

This is the problem. You can't have it both ways. "Boomy," "anemic," and "like being stuck in a fishbowl full of soup" are all good descriptive words/phrases. They're unique and do a good job of communicating specific and complex characteristics of the sound. However, you're absolutely right that they don't mean much in a vacuum unless you're very familiar with the speaker's preferences. That said, "X's bass is boomy compared to Y" is perfectly valid, as are "Z's treble is anemic compared to A," "Coming from B, the mids on C make vocalists sound like drill sergeants in disguise," etc. The issue isn't diction; it's false objectivity.

Jul 30, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #18,814 of 40,587
Back to EE land but still on the topic of comparisons: I own the Phantom and love it (paired with a Janus D and the AK SP1000Cu). I have no complaints. But, as it goes, I'd love another headphone or IEM just to mix it up.

Does anyone own both the Legend X and Phantom and find that owning both provides different but pleasing experiences for the same genres? I'm debating getting another EE IEM, or getting something like the HD800 headphone.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #18,815 of 40,587
IMG_20190731_093752.jpg

Zeus-XR is so impressive. You hear so much more from every single track in your library.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #18,816 of 40,587
Back to EE land but still on the topic of comparisons: I own the Phantom and love it (paired with a Janus D and the AK SP1000Cu). I have no complaints. But, as it goes, I'd love another headphone or IEM just to mix it up.

Does anyone own both the Legend X and Phantom and find that owning both provides different but pleasing experiences for the same genres? I'm debating getting another EE IEM, or getting something like the HD800 headphone.

So yes, the Phantom and Legend X are very different listening experiences. The Phantom and HD800 are also very different listening experiences, as would the Legend X and HD800.

I think you have to first decide whether you want to get a second IEM or go full-size.

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #18,817 of 40,587
On a final note, even though the output of some of the reviewers on here is phenomenal in both quantity and quality, remember that the vast majority are still hobbyists at heart - there are only a handful of "Pro" reviewers in the Audiophile world, so the bulk of what we all read is written by guys doing it out of passion. No one owns the truth when it comes to something as emotive and subjective as music.
I think this is really important to understand. That people who write reviews are more likely than not just head-fiers enjoying the hobby (excluding the really dodgy ones) and that everyone will have their own ways and means of enjoying that hobby. This translates into the reviewer's style and, importantly, also what the reviewer can and can't do. Sometimes it feels to me like people assume a reviewer can do it all. Like people asking me how a multitude of apps and streaming services work on a certain DAP. How am I supposed to pay for that all? I actually had an angry response to my review of the FiiO FH7 because I did not have a comparison to the FH5. Where am I supposed to get those? And that then ties in with the constant accusations that a review based on a review sample means the reviewer can't be trusted because the gear was "free". So am I supposed to have all the IEMs, DAPs, cables, apps and time in the world, without any way to cover the costs (being an academic my time is actually expensive as well)?

I am honestly struggling with these things at the moment and I still have no idea how I want to balance it all. I enjoy writing reviews, I want them to be of a high quality and trustworthy (avoiding conflict of interest), but as a hobby there is a limit to what I can do. (Not meant as a rant, btw, just thoughts that have been going through my head lately.)

I have the Phantom and had Legend X on loan from a friend, and I found them to be very complimentary. I have thought about buying Legend X a few times already, although I would use them and my Phantom for different types of music/moods. That said, the HD800 are also very high on my "I need to hear them before I die"-list. :D

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #18,818 of 40,587
Just saying...My anxiety is killing me at this point. @Devon Higgins :)

Can't wait to put my hands on my Legend X.

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #18,819 of 40,587
Just saying...My anxiety is killing me at this point. @Devon Higgins :)

Can't wait to put my hands on my Legend X.
It's so exciting! :D
source.gif

(Always hard to have to wait... and wait... and wait... I empathise. :wink: )

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #18,820 of 40,587
It's so exciting! :D
source.gif

(Always hard to have to wait... and wait... and wait... I empathise. :wink: )
This dog is me now... :)

A couple weeks feels like eternity. Even having the A12t on hands, my Hip-hop playlist is urging for the LX lower end rumble.

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #18,821 of 40,587
I think this is really important to understand. That people who write reviews are more likely than not just head-fiers enjoying the hobby (excluding the really dodgy ones) and that everyone will have their own ways and means of enjoying that hobby. This translates into the reviewer's style and, importantly, also what the reviewer can and can't do. Sometimes it feels to me like people assume a reviewer can do it all. Like people asking me how a multitude of apps and streaming services work on a certain DAP. How am I supposed to pay for that all? I actually had an angry response to my review of the FiiO FH7 because I did not have a comparison to the FH5. Where am I supposed to get those? And that then ties in with the constant accusations that a review based on a review sample means the reviewer can't be trusted because the gear was "free". So am I supposed to have all the IEMs, DAPs, cables, apps and time in the world, without any way to cover the costs (being an academic my time is actually expensive as well)?

I am honestly struggling with these things at the moment and I still have no idea how I want to balance it all. I enjoy writing reviews, I want them to be of a high quality and trustworthy (avoiding conflict of interest), but as a hobby there is a limit to what I can do. (Not meant as a rant, btw, just thoughts that have been going through my head lately.)

I have the Phantom and had Legend X on loan from a friend, and I found them to be very complimentary. I have thought about buying Legend X a few times already, although I would use them and my Phantom for different types of music/moods. That said, the HD800 are also very high on my "I need to hear them before I die"-list. :D

Well put. It's impossible to please all the people all the time in this hobby, both from manufacturers and reviewers perspective. Some people get angry a reviewer didn't compare to THEIR favourite sounding gear, or using THEIR specific portable or home rig. Some people get angry a reviewer didn't pay for the gear themselves (in some cases) or spend 20+hrs writing and photographing it but didn't spend an additional 10 hours of their spare time (in between holding down a job, looking after their family and finding time for a life) to do the extra comparisons, or say what they wanted to hear at the end. Some people get angry a reviewer DID pay for it, as they may now be subject to confirmation bias.

From the manufacturers side, people get angry that new models aren't tuned specifically for THEIR preferences, or don't sound exactly like the previous version (but better, obviously). They get angry when a manufacturer tried something new, or makes a model that is a departure from their "house sound".

To relate this to EE, I've read some interesting takes on the new models in various threads. Some people love them, some prior with they had been tuned with more/less bass, or more or less like the other favourites in the EE lineup. For me, the Wraith and Valkyrie both impressed me in certain aspects. If I had to choose, it would be the Valkyrie, but that doesn't means the Wraith NEEDS any adjustment, just because it doesn't fit my ideal sound. Out of all of the EE models, I'd probably still choose the Nemesis if I had the spare cash to buy one at the moment, as that is the model that really resonated with me (literally - my teeth are still shaking). The "reference" line isn't my ideal sound, and the Phantom is too thick and warm for me. That's good - it means EE are catering for a lot of different sonic preferences, none of which are inherently "better" or "right", just different. Things like the Harman curve exist to show what the "average" listener prefers, but people aren't average. Guys like @Wyville love the Phantom, and that's cool - I share a lot of sonic preferences with him, but not all. Other users love the Zeus - I'm one of them, despite being pretty much a basshead at heart these days. As people keep saying, it's down to preference and context, and I for one am glad there are a lot of different preferences out there, both from listeners and manufacturers.

This isn't meant to be a rant - there are a load of amazing people in this hobby, and in the main, it's a great time to be "in" this hobby, with all the new innovations and models hitting the shelves. Long story short - pick your own sound, pick some people who think like you if you are looking for advice, and remember to stop and just listen to the music once in a while! :wink:

Peace out.

Jul 31, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #18,822 of 40,587

Well put. It's impossible to please all the people all the time in this hobby, both from manufacturers and reviewers perspective. Some people get angry a reviewer didn't compare to THEIR favourite sounding gear, or using THEIR specific portable or home rig. Some people get angry a reviewer didn't pay for the gear themselves (in some cases) or spend 20+hrs writing and photographing it but didn't spend an additional 10 hours of their spare time (in between holding down a job, looking after their family and finding time for a life) to do the extra comparisons, or say what they wanted to hear at the end. Some people get angry a reviewer DID pay for it, as they may now be subject to confirmation bias.

From the manufacturers side, people get angry that new models aren't tuned specifically for THEIR preferences, or don't sound exactly like the previous version (but better, obviously). They get angry when a manufacturer tried something new, or makes a model that is a departure from their "house sound".

To relate this to EE, I've read some interesting takes on the new models in various threads. Some people love them, some prior with they had been tuned with more/less bass, or more or less like the other favourites in the EE lineup. For me, the Wraith and Valkyrie both impressed me in certain aspects. If I had to choose, it would be the Valkyrie, but that doesn't means the Wraith NEEDS any adjustment, just because it doesn't fit my ideal sound. Out of all of the EE models, I'd probably still choose the Nemesis if I had the spare cash to buy one at the moment, as that is the model that really resonated with me (literally - my teeth are still shaking). The "reference" line isn't my ideal sound, and the Phantom is too thick and warm for me. That's good - it means EE are catering for a lot of different sonic preferences, none of which are inherently "better" or "right", just different. Things like the Harman curve exist to show what the "average" listener prefers, but people aren't average. Guys like @Wyville love the Phantom, and that's cool - I share a lot of sonic preferences with him, but not all. Other users love the Zeus - I'm one of them, despite being pretty much a basshead at heart these days. As people keep saying, it's down to preference and context, and I for one am glad there are a lot of different preferences out there, both from listeners and manufacturers.

This isn't meant to be a rant - there are a load of amazing people in this hobby, and in the main, it's a great time to be "in" this hobby, with all the new innovations and models hitting the shelves. Long story short - pick your own sound, pick some people who think like you if you are looking for advice, and remember to stop and just listen to the music once in a while! :wink:

Peace out.

giphy.gif

... what a heart touching write up, guys (seriously). I'm deeply moved (more or less seriously)

Let's hug and squeeze each other...

giphy.gif

... and go on with burning our wallets to death. Forever.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #18,825 of 40,587
It sounded, from my reading, as if the Wraith has a bit smoother treble then does the XlV. Perhaps a better way to say it is a bit less treble presence. Or it has a more controlled treble presence. Since the treble excitement of the Zeus is what makes me love it so much, my takeaway from the review was that I am better off not getting a Wraith. When I hit the R switch on my XR, the treble seems to be a bit more controlled, and a bit more smoothed out. If I have a track that is treble-hot to the point of ouch, the R mode takes care of that. So the Wraith may still be a consideration for you. I'm just guessing, based on the review and my R experience. You'd need to listen to one to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back