Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jun 27, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #18,196 of 40,730
Yes You are right saying this, it is true that we humans only have a hearing range from 20hz to 20 khz. My self I did a test and barely hear the 17k hz note anything over that I was just pretending lol.

But for an instance when I had my tia fourte I could feel more sub bass and tia has a range from 5 to 22 000. My phantom are rated at 10 to 45 000. So I am guessing I can hear the difference between 5hz and 10hz ???
If so also my 1z is capable of delivering some low hz notes I guess. Hence even sonny relesed ier-z1r rated at 3hz to 100 000hz lol.

It is also probably a marketing thing about all this high res nonsense in music files, but they claim there is beyond hearing feelings. Like in those ranges that you cant hear alas you can feel ! So they try to replicate it as truthful as possible with sonic waves. Then its all converted by your brain and you experience unique feeling and emotions :)

But I dont know how that would work for me since I listen to spotify which is a compress 320 kbps mp3 and probably stop at 17k hz :)

My hearing is only about 16kHz these days, and a good 3dB less in in my left ear. :L3000:

Some report hearing frequencies down to 14-15Hz or so, even if 20Hz is often given as 'normal lower limit'. A large limit is at these lower frequencies there needs to be a much higher SPL for the same perceived volume so sound fades to oblivion where it's more of a 'feel' on the cusp - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure , https://opentextbc.ca/physicstestbook2/chapter/hearing/

While I have no doubt that the Z1R and Fourte are amazing bass/sub-bass capable monsters, and tuned so, such simplified 3Hz-x ranges are still largely just marketing numbers. A very modestly-spec'ed 15Hz-22kHz driver "could" technically deliver the same relevant sound range and quality. Most arguments (which I'll accept) is that having a slightly larger frequency envelope allows drivers to deliver the target range while avoiding issues that may be encountered driving 'near the technical edge'.

Also, numbers sell :deadhorse:

(To see how slow 3Hz is, click a ballpoint pen really fast with your thumb: do it 3x/second to win! :D)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #18,197 of 40,730
Anyway, back OT.

I'm glad to see many more hybrid designs from all sorts of manufacturers, each with slightly different takes on the same goal (to make money, hehe :p)

Hybrids were almost 'taboo' early 2018 (I fiddle the time a bit) and now mid-2019 it's one of the hottest moves.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #18,198 of 40,730
Anyway, back OT.

I'm glad to see many more hybrid designs from all sorts of manufacturers, each with slightly different takes on the same goal (to make money, hehe :p)

Hybrids were almost 'taboo' early 2018 (I fiddle the time a bit) and now mid-2019 it's one of the hottest moves.
I think the emergence of electrostats in IEMs is what pushed them into the mainstream. BAs tend to have problems in the bass and treble regions. The use of DDs fixed the bass problem but still left the treble issue high and dry. Personally most hybrids were too much in the bass for me.

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #18,199 of 40,730
Personally most hybrids were too much in the bass for me.

Error: Does not compute.

I'm thinking of buying the Legend X, so this kind of response is only to be expected :)

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #18,200 of 40,730
Does anyone here know how I might order the Japanese LX SE from here in the UK?
I can speak about 10 words of Japanese and read a few hiragana, but that's not much help :p
https://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shop...=000000231243&search=Legend+X&sort=price_desc
This is the link to buy it, and I've used a built-in translate function on Google Chrome.

But I have zero experience of ordering something from Japan, no idea if/what customs fees might be (talking tax, not custom fittings here) etc.

If any wise hands here have experience of this, it would be helpful.
I'd heard reference to websites that offer a service to help people like me to order things from Japan; can anyone recommend one?

Finally, my only other concern is that what if I love them but can't get a great seal or simply would like to go custom?
Decisions, decisions..

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #18,201 of 40,730
The Phantoms are here...

I have to admit I'm perplexed.. They are the most unusual iems I've heard. The combination of thickness with detail... I find the effect track dependant. Sometimes these are perfect but other times less so. In Sara Bareilles cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, I find the piano stronger and her vocals weaker than on other iems which isn't my preference.
I do find though that the timbre of instruments is better than with probably any other iem. Other than the Noble Katana and Encore, I haven't heard other totl iems so i don't have much to compare to. Any new sound signature takes a while to adjust to and supplant the held notions of what's "right" so I'm looking forward to how these develop with my ears. I do find myself longing for a bit of the "air" of the Noble Encore though. Those were so open and clean sounding. I'd love a hybrid of these two.
I've heard that these take a little time to adjust to but I know that timbrally they suit me.
My DAP is the Fiio M11 and has a fair amount of hiss. I imagine another source could elevate the Phantoms.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #18,202 of 40,730
I like the 64 Audio Tia Trio, so if anyone heard the Valkyrie at CamJam and heard the Tia Trio, do you hear any similarities?

The Tia Trio has one each of a DD, BA and Tia while the Valkyrie has one each of a DD, BA and Estat.

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #18,203 of 40,730
I had been happy with Massdrop Empire Zeus driven by Chord Dave and Mscaler for the last 2 weeks.

But I felt the need for headphone and more transparency.

I pulled the trigger for Stax 009S with Carbon Amp.

It will be my end game headphone.

But I expect to receive it on July 9th.

After I get Stax009S, I will compare it with Massdrop Empire Zeus.

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #18,204 of 40,730
I like the 64 Audio Tia Trio, so if anyone heard the Valkyrie at CamJam and heard the Tia Trio, do you hear any similarities?

The Tia Trio has one each of a DD, BA and Tia while the Valkyrie has one each of a DD, BA and Estat.

Yes I did. Tia Trio was the best IEM at 64 audio booth I had experienced based on my taste. However, in order to compare Tia Trio with EE Valkyrie to my ears Valkyrie has more focus and details in all spectrum especially the bass.

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #18,205 of 40,730
Yes I did. Tia Trio was the best IEM at 64 audio booth I had experienced based on my taste. However, in order to compare Tia Trio with EE Valkyrie to my ears Valkyrie has more focus and details in all spectrum especially the bass.

Which had more bass?

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #18,208 of 40,730
Valkyrie has more intriguing bass.

More and more Valkyries proving them self's a really worthy Iem. I dont know how tia trio compare to tia forte regarding the bass performance and if its better or equivalent. I assume Valkyrie is the clear winner in here, from your perception.

The Weapon IX strikes again!

You seemed to be very lined toward the Lx, so whats holding you back? You like it you buy it. But I would prefer Valkyries I think its a wiser choice. I did preferred Phantom over Lx too.

The Phantoms are here...

I have to admit I'm perplexed.. They are the most unusual iems I've heard. The combination of thickness with detail... I find the effect track dependant. Sometimes these are perfect but other times less so. In Sara Bareilles cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, I find the piano stronger and her vocals weaker than on other iems which isn't my preference.
I do find though that the timbre of instruments is better than with probably any other iem. Other than the Noble Katana and Encore, I haven't heard other totl iems so i don't have much to compare to. Any new sound signature takes a while to adjust to and supplant the held notions of what's "right" so I'm looking forward to how these develop with my ears. I do find myself longing for a bit of the "air" of the Noble Encore though. Those were so open and clean sounding. I'd love a hybrid of these two.
I've heard that these take a little time to adjust to but I know that timbrally they suit me.
My DAP is the Fiio M11 and has a fair amount of hiss. I imagine another source could elevate the Phantoms.
to be very leen on the Lx, so what is holding you back so far? You like it buy it ! :) But Me I think Valkyrie would be a better choice.

Thanks for sharing with us that fiio m11 is another hisser nightmare as is Ibasso. I ihad dx200 and now I switched to sony 1z dap it has a very little amount of hiss. Fortunately so little I barely notice it if forget about it. Desktop dac and amp I had before had 0 hiss thought.

About phantom not being able to provide the best experience in all genras is quiet normal. Its very thick and warm and has tamed down highs. Like you said its an amazing iem it warm lush thick but never miss a single detail and resolution, that is what impressive about it. But in music like classics you do get low airiness and no zingy shimmery bells effect. But for me it was never a problem seriously, I hate high peaky treble, phantom is a perfect solution for that.

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #18,209 of 40,730
Thanks for sharing with us that fiio m11 is another hisser nightmare as is Ibasso. I ihad dx200 and now I switched to sony 1z dap it has a very little amount of hiss. Fortunately so little I barely notice it if forget about it. Desktop dac and amp I had before had 0 hiss thought.

About phantom not being able to provide the best experience in all genras is quiet normal. Its very thick and warm and has tamed down highs. Like you said its an amazing iem it warm lush thick but never miss a single detail and resolution, that is what impressive about it. But in music like classics you do get low airiness and no zingy shimmery bells effect. But for me it was never a problem seriously, I hate high peaky treble, phantom is a perfect solution for that.

Yeah the M11 is quite hissy, even during quiet tracks it's clearly audible. I can live with it though for now. I used to listen to a lot of vinyl so I can deal with a little noise.

I bought the Phantoms with a silver cable that at first I did not like. It seemed, particularly on vocals, to rob them of their "body" but after first getting used to the Linsoul copper/silver cable I went back to the silver and that subtle sense of a "hangover" is mitigated and I'm getting a cleaner sound without losing too much body. The sound is less "thick" but not less natural.
I very briefly tried tip rolling but the Final E's still seem to work out the best.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #18,210 of 40,730

Not really. Trio is fuller and has more bass imo. It was only like a 10 min listen, but Valkyrie was strangely kind of laid back even though subbass was rumbly. Just didn't have the thump you would expect

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back