Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 18, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #16,771 of 40,579
Purchased the phantom here on headfi and am really enjoying them with the janus d playing out of se100. Took some getting used to the sound at first but now I really appreciate the sound.

Also have the thor 8wire but I think it changes the sound too much, though I can see why others would enjoy it. Much prefer the Janus D. It's a wonderful pairing.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #16,772 of 40,579
Purchased the phantom here on headfi and am really enjoying them with the janus d playing out of se100. Took some getting used to the sound at first but now I really appreciate the sound.

Also have the thor 8wire but I think it changes the sound too much, though I can see why others would enjoy it. Much prefer the Janus D. It's a wonderful pairing.

yes the Janus D is my own fav pairing with the Phantom. Good choice.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #16,773 of 40,579

yes the Janus D is my own fav pairing with the Phantom. Good choice.

How is the sound of the Phantoms paired up with Janus D compared to Leonidas II?

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #16,774 of 40,579
Nov 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #16,775 of 40,579
I’ve been auditioning the Phantom for the last week. Man, what a fun pair of monitors. Lively, detailed, full sounding. I can certainly understand why so many people rave about them.

However, they don’t quite fit with what I want in my next ciems. Here’s what I’m looking for:
  • Less bass. The Phantom’s bass is wonderful, but there’s too much of it. To me, the bass is not in the right proportion with the rest of the FR.
  • More treble. The Phantom’s treble is very easy to listen to, never fatiguing. But it is much too subdued for me. I’d like much more presence and air.
  • More open midrange. While the Phantom’s mids are very smooth, they sound congested to me.

A cold shiver runs through his wallet as he asked, “Did I just describe the Zeus XR?” :fearful:

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #16,776 of 40,579
I’ve been auditioning the Phantom for the last week. Man, what a fun pair of monitors. Lively, detailed, full sounding. I can certainly understand why so many people rave about them.

However, they don’t quite fit with what I want in my next ciems. Here’s what I’m looking for:
  • Less bass. The Phantom’s bass is wonderful, but there’s too much of it. To me, the bass is not in the right proportion with the rest of the FR.
  • More treble. The Phantom’s treble is very easy to listen to, never fatiguing. But it is much too subdued for me. I’d like much more presence and air.
  • More open midrange. While the Phantom’s mids are very smooth, they sound congested to me.

A cold shiver runs through his wallet as he asked, “Did I just describe the Zeus XR?” :fearful:

Depending on the extent to which you want these three changes to occur, either you're looking at a Zeus-XR or a Leonidas II. :wink:

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #16,777 of 40,579

You can also try a silver or copper/silver cable. It adds some extension to the upper range and makes the lower range thighter by reducing the attack and decay, it will definitely help to reduce the congestion.

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #16,778 of 40,579

Pretty much my reasons for choosing Zeus R over Phantom after testing on a Lionheart.

Nov 18, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #16,779 of 40,579
You can also try a silver or copper/silver cable. It adds some extension to the upper range and makes the lower range thighter by reducing the attack and decay, it will definitely help to reduce the congestion.
@rwelles also mentioned the bass is too strong on Phantom, maybe a copper silver hybrid or silver plated copper would be better suited. Silver really doesnt do favours for toning down the bass IMO

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #16,780 of 40,579
Having owned both the Phantom and the Zeus XR, what you describe on your wish list is the XR. I don't see a cable bringing the Phantom to where you want to go. If you want less bass/more treble/more open mids get the XR.

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #16,781 of 40,579
Here’s what I’m looking for:

Υes

btw , there is not yet a cable that can do all these 3 things simultaneously you asked , usually a cable tweaks the sound slightly while focusing on one of the 3 sonic areas

so yeap , you just described Zeus XR

speaking of Zeus , Ares II (8 wire) pairs very nicely with it , definitey happy with it

the only problem is that my cable appetite has come back with a vengeance

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #16,783 of 40,579
Thanks to all for this valuable feedback!! In my (limited) experience, cable rolling will only produce minor changes/improvements. The changes I'm looking for over the Phantoms are more significant. My wallet has been whimpering while I write this, but my ears are salivating!! (Yeah, I know it's a weird mixed metaphor...)

Nov 18, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #16,785 of 40,579
Υes

btw , there is not yet a cable that can do all these 3 things simultaneously you asked , usually a cable tweaks the sound slightly while focusing on one of the 3 sonic areas

so yeap , you just described Zeus XR

speaking of Zeus , Ares II (8 wire) pairs very nicely with it , definitey happy with it

the only problem is that my cable appetite has come back with a vengeance
With the 8-wire and your Zeus you should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back