Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #16,652 of 40,591
Be reading an AK SR15 review when suddenly:

ARGGGGGH IT HISSES

Most people probably won't hear it, but to me the hissing is more audible on the SR15 than on the SP1000.
On the SP1k it's just very mild though, so that one shouldn't be a problem.

Best would be to see for yourself, take the Zeus and audition an SR15 if you can. Just because I hear that doesn't mean you do too.

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #16,656 of 40,591
My Hermes hisses on my AK70ii, but use the IFI IEmatch!
I'm not sure what triggered me more, hissing or the IEMatch....

Im kinda glad that I didnt get that demo model AK70II in that case.

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #16,657 of 40,591
I found the IEMatch not so good. It may reduce perceived hiss, but it altered the bass on my Phantom and didn't do anything for my Zeus. I guess if you bought things that hiss it would be a way around that, but mine is sitting in a drawer.

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #16,658 of 40,591
I'm not sure what triggered me more, hissing or the IEMatch....

Im kinda glad that I didnt get that demo model AK70II in that case.

I found the IEMatch not so good. It may reduce perceived hiss, but it altered the bass on my Phantom and didn't do anything for my Zeus. I guess if you bought things that hiss it would be a way around that, but mine is sitting in a drawer.

Hmm? I found it probably the most viable solution given that my DAP was hissing in balanced. It didn't alter the sound what so ever.

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #16,659 of 40,591
I wasn't saying it didn't remove hiss. I DID say that it would I just found that using it on my equipment made one iem sound less good and the other had no effect. That was using gain switch in both positions. The Zeus could be played at higher volume but it still sounded the same. The bass on the Phantom changed. On YOUR equipment it seemingly works fine.

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #16,660 of 40,591
I wasn't saying it didn't remove hiss. I DID say that it would I just found that using it on my equipment made one iem sound less good and the other had no effect. That was using gain switch in both positions. The Zeus could be played at higher volume but it still sounded the same. The bass on the Phantom changed. On YOUR equipment it seemingly works fine.

Yes I understand it didn't alter the sound for your Zues but it did for your phantom. In that case what did you use as a viable solution to remove hiss? I don't mean to offend you in anyway btw.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #16,661 of 40,591
Lol probably because Zeus really has no bass to change. If it did probably have changed just like the Phantom. :p

Hopefully Charles has the SE100 and SP 1000 in stock when I have the funds in December.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #16,662 of 40,591
As I've said, I don't have any hiss with my setup. I tried the IEMatch just to see if raising the volume would improve the sound. In one case it didn't, in one case it had an adverse effect. I think it makes sense to use it if you have a setup that has hiss, but other than that I don't see, from personal experience, any reason to use it. It is certainly cost effective (I bought the slightly more expensive 2.5 balanced one).

And you haven't offended me.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #16,663 of 40,591
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #16,664 of 40,591
The Zeus has tons of bass when the music has it. It just doesn't add it to songs that don't, like the Phantom does (though actually it wasn't the bass I really had issues with, it was the thickness of the notes). If I play anything with a strong bass in it, the Zeus translates it beautifully. And I did try songs with strong bass when trying out the IEMatch. I also found that I had to use the lower gain with the Phantom and the higher gain with the Zeus (I think that's right, it was a while ago).

Never tried a Spartan. I can say that the Zeus has more bass than does the UERM, another ref iem. Certainly less bass than an 846 or an Angie with the pots turned up. Although it kicks the butts of both of those in my opinion.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #16,665 of 40,591
Would you say Zeus has more or less bass than the Spartans?
Plenty more, it's just that the mids and treble tend to overshadow them. Spartan just provides an equal emphasis on bass mids and treble

The Zeus has tons of bass when the music has it.
On the XIV tuning I assume? I find the bass for the R perfectly fine where there isn't a specific emphasis on bass, it does show when the music has a bass emphasis though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back