emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?
Aug 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #61 of 148
Well after following this thread and hearing your many impressions I'm SOLD . I was thinking of getting the Focal Solo6 but for the same price I'll get the stealth and a DAC. Can't wait to pair them with my Totem Storm.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #62 of 148
 Long story short: Bought a pair. Started unboxing... One speaker had obvious shipment 'issues' with a dent next to the 8" woofer. The worst in me said, 'hey What, lets see if it works.' It didnt. But ******* if the other one didn't sound AMAZING. I filed a claim with FedEx and returned the other non-damaged speaker. I miss hearing just the one and will attempt to purchase these again sometime soon. The bass is phenomenal. Oh well....

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #63 of 148
Quote:
 Long story short: Bought a pair. Started unboxing... One speaker had obvious shipment 'issues' with a dent next to the 8" woofer. The worst in me said, 'hey What, lets see if it works.' It didnt. But ******* if the other one didn't sound AMAZING. I filed a claim with FedEx and returned the other non-damaged speaker. I miss hearing just the one and will attempt to purchase these again sometime soon. The bass is phenomenal. Oh well....

I am sorry to hear of your shipping problems. I have now bought three pairs of emotiva powered speakers and had experienced no such issues. The handler must have dropped it off a three story building or something because the stealth eights are double boxed which you can attest from unpacking them . Did you contact emotiva about the shipping damage because emotiva has very good customer service in my experience. Even though I did not have any reliability issues with any of the speakers the emotiva people answered all my questions anytime I made any type of inquiry about any of the speakers that I bought. I did have a few questions before I decided to purchase any of them and the questions were answered fairly and pretty quickly.
  The stealth eights in my experience are more revealing than the airmotiv 6s and as such I believe take more time to break in than the sixes.
While the sixes are very good the eights are more resolved and I believe more revealing of the electronics that you hook them up to.
They are probably more neutral than the sixes and given the healthy boost in onboard amplification they are probably more revealing as well. I have found them to be able to play somewhat louder than the sixes . In fact they can play loud and stay very clean.
 I hope you get your problem resolved soon. Be patient about the break in process as much as you can because the eights as I had stated before in my earlier impressions was not an easy listen at first.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #64 of 148
Emotiva is aware of the situation. They do indeed come double boxed and I have zero idea how FedEx accomplished such a feat. I even tried playing he speaker and it sounded so bad... The working speaker overpowered it by avast margin. Looking at the air motive 5s for a work setup. Too much?

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #65 of 148
Quote:
Emotiva is aware of the situation. They do indeed come double boxed and I have zero idea how FedEx accomplished such a feat. I even tried playing he speaker and it sounded so bad... The working speaker overpowered it by avast margin. Looking at the air motive 5s for a work setup. Too much?

I have a pair of airmotiv 5s for my desktop setup and they work quite admirably. I am using a peachtree decco 2 for my desk top set up and it works fine as both dac and preamp paired with the airmotiv 5s.But I have also tweaked the decco 2 with a hifi tuning supreme fuse which improved the sound noticeably along with a cable pro reflection power cable. But the headphone amp in the decco 2 has somewhat limited drive for my preferred akg 701 phone. Of course I do not use headphones usually on my desk top. I usually use the airmotiv 5s on my desk top.

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #66 of 148
 Well I have put some time on the stealth 8s now. I must say they are sounding pretty good these days. They seemed to have opened up a bit more and they are becoming more resolved. The bass is getting more detailed and I keep hearing details that I was unaware of before on a lot of cds that I have been playing lately. There is also a sense of soundstage that is becoming ever present. I also am noticing that the stability of the soundstage does not waver or change. I am actually beginning to appreciate the qualities of the stealth 8 monitors.
  I also think the midrange is becoming more resolved as well. I am thinking that the speakers take a fair amount of play time before you can actually hear what their considerable abilities are.
   There is also a sense of openness that is also becoming more apparent these days. Before I was unsure that the difference between the airmotiv 6s and the stealth 8 was worth the cost difference. But I can now put that notion to rest because the stealth 8s are really beginning to sing in ways that the airmotiv 6 can not match. They are simply a more resolving loudspeaker than the airmotiv models.
  I am still thinking that the break in process still may have some time to go before they are fully settled in at least I hope they will get better still
with more play time.
   I believe the stealth 8s are a bargain for their very reasonable cost. I think this speaker would cost a lot more if it was marketed in a retail store.
probably at least twice as much.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #68 of 148
The AMT does a great job of with the 8" woofer. I can say from personal experience that everything that burson is saying is true. It took months for my stealthy to open up. But now the sound that I'm getting from them is spectacular.

And if for some reason you are really afraid of the 8" just get the stealth 6 :)...

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #69 of 148
You may not need the storm. I am amazed at the amount of body that the stealth 8s produce. I have to say that these speakers take a fair amount of play time before they show their considerable abilities. I do have to add that I have replaced the stock fuses in the speakers with hifi tuning supreme equivalents.  I am also using some aftermarket power cables with them as well. I am using the Teflon jacketed cable pro reverie power cables.
  I have very much become smitten with the stealth 8s. They are by far the most resolute speaker I have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few including a pair of smaller harbeths and a stand mount proac. Neither come close to the stealth 8 in ability.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #70 of 148
 I feel it is time for some more comment about the stealth 8. I am finding that this speaker has a uncanny ability to pick out unheard details in the sound mix on cds. They are almost microscopic in their resolution ability. I can understand why these studio monitors are used by professionals to monitor their work, it is like nothing gets by speakers like this. They really get you involved in the music. A lot of so called audiophile speakers just do not separate all the aspects of a performance like professional monitors. A lot of things get lost in the sound put out by a far amount of these audiophile speakers. There is a clarity and a matter of fact aspect that audiophile speakers can completely miss.

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #71 of 148
Nice to see an update in here. I hope all Stealth 6/8 owners keep them flowing from time to time.

As for me, I'm not sure what to do. I'm a closet basshead, so I'm getting a sub for my monitors. In fact, probably 2 because I really want that enveloping and zero-node bass. That means that I don't need anything with a bigger woofer (Airmotiv 5S vs. Airmotiv 6S vs. Stealth 6 vs. Stealth 8). So what do you guys recommend? Is there still a reason to go Stealth 8 + subs, or would the new Airmotiv 5S + same subs meet my needs? Or one of the other 2 alternatives?

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #73 of 148
Nice to see an update in here. I hope all Stealth 6/8 owners keep them flowing from time to time.

As for me, I'm not sure what to do. I'm a closet basshead, so I'm getting a sub for my monitors. In fact, probably 2 because I really want that enveloping and zero-node bass. That means that I don't need anything with a bigger woofer (Airmotiv 5S vs. Airmotiv 6S vs. Stealth 6 vs. Stealth 8). So what do you guys recommend? Is there still a reason to go Stealth 8 + subs, or would the new Airmotiv 5S + same subs meet my needs? Or one of the other 2 alternatives?

A sub for the 6s or 8s? Lol I think my airmotiv 6s have plenty of bass if not too much some times.

Btw does you feel the purifier is worth it?

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #74 of 148
I'm struggling to decide whether I should go for the Stealth 8's or the LS50's since they are around the same price.

I would definitely give the stealths a shot before the LS50s. The ribbon tweeters are incredible!!,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back