emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?
Jan 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #31 of 148
The Emotivas definitely look like excellent value and their customer service is fantastic. Regarding a previous post: They ARE Chinese OEM (I forget the original brand) but I've had a look inside my Airmotiv 4s and the quality is very good. They also respond very noticeably to the quality of what is feeding them.  That being said, I've relegated them to the livingroom and have ADAM ARTist 3s on my desk now. I'm thinking I should have gotten one of the front-ported models instead though as I had to partially block the ports on both sets of speakers when they were on my desk to stop it becoming a gigantic subwoofer.

Wait, so emotiva didn't actually make and design the stealth 8s themselves??

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #32 of 148
I think emotiva made the stealth 8s. I remember seeing something about certain audio engineers had them for evaluation purposes etc..

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #33 of 148
I should have clarified, the Airmotivs appear to be OEM speakers. That's not to say any other range is, though I would imagine they get the drivers from the same source (at a guess!). Regardless of how they are going about designing and building them it wouldn't surprise me to find out they are good after my experience with the Airmotivs.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #34 of 148
I don't know about the Stealth 8s. I know prior Emotiva speakers were available in China under the name "QMS."

I found this link which possibly could be the manufacturer of some of the earlier models:

http://www.diytrade.com/china/manufacturer/560136/main/Tekzone_Loudspeaker_Co_Ltd.html

Like I said, I don't know about the Stealth 8s. I'm just providing a link I found so take it with a grain of salt, because I don't know where the Stealth 8s are made.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #35 of 148
Looks like they put a better front piece on and rebranded it :/

But i guess how it sounds only matters...

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #36 of 148
 I was browsing the stealth eight and comparable models from other manufacturers and came across one that looked to me to be possibly and even better value that the emotiva.Lets not forget JBL which definitely knows a thing or two about professional sound.I came across a model which costs around the same price actually a hundred dollars more but given the added flexilbilty it looks to me to be an even better
value.The JBL model is the JBL LSR4328P Pak and what makes this model more appealing is the automatic room correction capablity that the JBL has and they even include a mike for the price.With this feature you can tune the speaker to whatever room and or position you have the speaker set for maximum performance.
  I believe the power spec is the same and judging from the other specs it is very similar to the stealth 8.
I had seen a blog about the Qms company before.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #37 of 148
 I was browsing the stealth eight and comparable models from other manufacturers and came across one that looked to me to be possibly and even better value that the emotiva.Lets not forget JBL which definitely knows a thing or two about professional sound.I came across a model which costs around the same price actually a hundred dollars more but given the added flexilbilty it looks to me to be an even better
value.The JBL model is the JBL LSR4328P Pak and what makes this model more appealing is the automatic room correction capablity that the JBL has and they even include a mike for the price.With this feature you can tune the speaker to whatever room and or position you have the speaker set for maximum performance.
  I believe the power spec is the same and judging from the other specs it is very sismilar to the stealth 8.
I had seen a blog about the Qms company before.

NAH

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #38 of 148
[size=medium]I did have the opportunity to listen to the Stealth 8s at the Emotiva complex in Franklin Tn.  Here is my two cents. [/size]

Attached - my wife with the Emotiva mascot - unfortunately I had to tell her Jackson was not for sale!

[size=medium][size=medium]First and foremost, visiting Emotiva was a very pleasant and informative experience.  Emotiva sales and engineering folks are world class – knowledgeable, extremely professional and courteous.  Both my wife and I felt relaxed and were treated like VIPs.  They took their time to demonstrate all the various products and answered the many questions I had.  This was actually no surprise given the experience I’ve had with them on the phone.  [/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]My original intention was to audition their amps and preamps – not monitors.  I was interested in the UMC-200 and XMC-1 (got to see but not hear) preamps along with the XPA-3 and XPA-2 amps for my HT overhaul.  My curiosity had the best of me after reading so many positive Emotiva reviews.  I just had to hear them myself.  So I jumped at the chance to actually listen to them at the Emotiva HQ in Tennessee.  All it took was a phone call and we were given the OK to stop by.  [/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]I am writing about the Stealth 8 monitors so I won’t say much about the amps, although I am very impressed – audio craftsmanship at its finest, period![/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Again, I had absolutely no intentions of listening to Near/Mid Field monitors.  But it happened, I was given the chance to listen to the Stealth 8 monitors and they were quite a surprise.  Before I actually listened to them I had to touch, partially lift, fully examine, etc., and came to the immediate conclusion these had a solid high quality build.  OK, fire them up![/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Wow, simply amazing!  The soundstage gave the feeling the drum kit I was listening to was hovering in mid air, right in front of me.  The lows were impeccable and powerful – wonderfully palpable.  Something I’ve missed from my current HT setup using Mackie 824s and 628s.  The Mackie combination worked in a smaller room, but I have since moved and now have a larger HT room where the SPL from the Mackie monitors gets swallowed up.   I even took the surrounds (624s) and paired with the 824s to get more SPL – did not help much.  I did not have time to audition vocals on the Stealth 8s, but what music I did hear blew me away.[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Bottom line – after listening to these I’m now considering ditching my pre/pro and amp separates with new tower speakers and matching center channel design to replacing the Mackies with the Stealth 8 monitors.  New preamp and Stealth 8s – done!  This eliminates the need for new cables and separate amps.  Just my thoughts.[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Mackie 824 has a woofer size of 8.75”, 100dB SPL @ 1meter and freq. response of 39Hz to 20K Hz +/- 1.5 dB.  Low –frequency amp is 150 watts and the high is 100 watts with THD < .035%. Weight: 32 lbs. S/N > 102 dB, reference to 100 watts into 6 ohms.  The 624s are similar and smaller.[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Emotiva Stealth 8 has a woofer size of 8”, 115dB SPL @ 1 meter and freq. response of 30Hz to 23K Hz +/- 1.75 dB.  Low –frequency amp is 200 watts and the high is 200 watts with THD not specified. Weight: 41.5 lbs. S/N not specified.[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium](specs summarized for convenience only – ref actual specs at corresponding web site[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Attached - current setup with Anthem AV-2 pre driving Mackie 824s and 624s for fronts - consider replacing with the Emotiva Stealth 8s.[/size][/size]

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #39 of 148
If I could pick a second system at a reasonable cost it'd probably be a Bryston BP 26 Preamp, Stealth 8s, and my soon to be upgraded TT rig. Still may happen some day.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #42 of 148
 I am using a audio research ls2 mkII preamp on my emotiva 6s and it really works well even in single ended output from the rca jacks.It would probably work a fair amount better with the stealth 8s I am sure.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #43 of 148
 I was browsing emotiva pros website today and saw they slashed the price on the stealth 8s and the stealth 6s.The website said while supplies last I am wondering if emotiva is discontinuing the stealth line.Well I am taking advantage of the sale and I ordered a pair of eights.I am looking forward to getting them these should be a healthy step up from my sixes.
  I was interested in anyones opinion of them which I  read from at least one person.I guess I will be finding out about them myself.Tallyhoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #44 of 148
 Well darth vador has landed in my house.The stealth eights remind me of darth vader looking at its angular front panel.I just received them today and although I have not hooked them up yet they do look like a serious speaker indeed.I will probably not get the chance this weekend because I am tied up with visiting family.Besides I have to figure out what balanced cable I need for hook up with my preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back