EMM Labs DAC2X slays all comers - and wallets .....
Feb 11, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #76 of 125
Okay, it appears that I am the only one here with this dac. Well worth it to buy used and get it updated and re certified by Emm Labs at a very reasonable price.
I guess most people who would buy the DAC2X V1 and get it upgrade to V2 used might be buying the Meitner MA3 outright instead. Not sure to be honest.

I'd still like to hear an EMM/Meitner DAC, haven't had the chance yet.

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #77 of 125
I guess most people who would buy the DAC2X V1 and get it upgrade to V2 used might be buying the Meitner MA3 outright instead. Not sure to be honest.

I'd still like to hear an EMM/Meitner DAC, haven't had the chance yet.
Emm Labs dealer is nowhere to be found near me. If it weren’t for the few years I spent in Asia I would never have gotten the opportunity to hear them in a non-trade show setting. I got the Dac2x because I heard it in person and it was love at first listen. I have never heard MA-3. At the time I decided to go with Linn Klimax because I believed network streaming is where the future is - I think I got that right.

I think for US folks it may be easier to hear Playback Designs which is a San Fran company. They were part of the Emm Labs team and their gear have a similar sound signature to those of Emm Labs.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #78 of 125
I also own the EMM Labs DAC2X V2 as well as the EMM TSDX Transport. I use to own a Playback Designs MPS-5 DAC but borrowed the DAC2X and found I prefered it to my PBD. The PBD I owned for about 8yrs and was very happy with it. And had I not head the EMM Labs probably would still be happy with it. I sold the PBD to buy the EMM Labs DAC.

May 18, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #79 of 125
I sent my dac2x to Emm Labs for service and general maintenance and it came back with upgrade power supply and upgrade analog output stage - free of charge. Looks like I will be burning in the new analog stage and posting some impression.

Love these little (probably not so little in reality) surprises from manufacturers - they also gave me a new outer shipping box and new dust cover ...lol. These are things that make me stick with a brand for decades. Ayre is like this (or used to not sure if they still do) which is why I love them as well.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #80 of 125
I sent my dac2x to Emm Labs for service and general maintenance and it came back with upgrade power supply and upgrade analog output stage - free of charge. Looks like I will be burning in the new analog stage and posting some impression.

Love these little (probably not so little in reality) surprises from manufacturers - they also gave me a new outer shipping box and new dust cover ...lol. These are things that make me stick with a brand for decades. Ayre is like this (or used to not sure if they still do) which is why I love them as well.
That is brilliant. I have never thought of returning something for maintenance and servicing. Especially when the item appears to be working ok. Did you already have the V2 DAC or the V1? I have got the V2 and am wondering if the upgrade power supply and analog output stage has already been upgraded as part of the V1 to V2 upgrade?

Then my other question is because I live in Australia am I best to just send it to the EMM Dealer in Australia to get it serviced & are they likely to send it to EMM Labs in the U.S themselves or can they usually do the service themselves without having to send it to EMM Labs? I guess I will just need to contact them myself. But glad to hear of the nice "little" touches you recevied from EMM Labs. I am still loving my DAC and I really do believe this is my "end stage" DAC as I have no desire to go looking for anything else because i just love the EMM Labs DAC2X V2 sound.

May 18, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #81 of 125
That is brilliant. I have never thought of returning something for maintenance and servicing. Especially when the item appears to be working ok. Did you already have the V2 DAC or the V1? I have got the V2 and am wondering if the upgrade power supply and analog output stage has already been upgraded as part of the V1 to V2 upgrade?

Then my other question is because I live in Australia am I best to just send it to the EMM Dealer in Australia to get it serviced & are they likely to send it to EMM Labs in the U.S themselves or can they usually do the service themselves without having to send it to EMM Labs? I guess I will just need to contact them myself. But glad to hear of the nice "little" touches you recevied from EMM Labs. I am still loving my DAC and I really do believe this is my "end stage" DAC as I have no desire to go looking for anything else because i just love the EMM Labs DAC2X V2 sound.
You should reach out to them. I did the v2 upgrade which is just the digital board and firmware. They did the power supply and analog stage pro bono. Analog is supposed to be upgraded to current sota (based on DV2) and better than prior upgraded v2. I was told neither the power supply nor the analog stage is part of v2 upgrade if upgraded by dealer (likely for technical reasons)

I worked with Emm Labs directly and it was super easy even with international shipping.

You might want to get NS1, which is pretty good with any dac but Emm Lab specifically.

They call me after the v2 upgrade and said oh btw since we got your dac we took the opportunity to upgrade your power supply and analog output 😄

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #82 of 125
You should reach out to them. I did the v2 upgrade which is just the digital board and firmware. They did the power supply and analog stage pro bono. Analog is supposed to be upgraded to current sota (based on DV2) and better than prior upgraded v2. I was told neither the power supply nor the analog stage is part of v2 upgrade if upgraded by dealer (likely for technical reasons)

I worked with Emm Labs directly and it was super easy even with international shipping.

You might want to get NS1, which is pretty good with any dac but Emm Lab specifically.

They call me after the v2 upgrade and said oh btw since we got your dac we took the opportunity to upgrade your power supply and analog output 😄
So did they do these power supply and analog stage upgrades as part of your V2 upgrade? Or was your DAC already upgraded to V2 but you sent it in for service & as part of this service they upgraded the power supply and analog stage? Also what is the NS1? I already own the EMM Labs TSDX Transport

May 18, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #83 of 125
So did they do these power supply and analog stage upgrades as part of your V2 upgrade? Or was your DAC already upgraded to V2 but you sent it in for service & as part of this service they upgraded the power supply and analog stage? Also what is the NS1? I already own the EMM Labs TSDX Transport
I sent it in for V2 upgrade. V2 upgrade consists of the digital board and firmware - as you can verify with your dealer. The power supply and analog upgrades were thrown in because they have the machine in the factory. NS1 is Emm Labs' network bridge - probably not relevant if you still spin discs, but it is one of the best network bridges/servers I have heard.

When I spoke with them I got the impression that they would update the power supply and analog if any owner sends their machine in for service and maintenance.

If you want to know if your unit has the upgraded power supply, you can just reach out and they should know.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #84 of 125
I sent it in for V2 upgrade. V2 upgrade consists of the digital board and firmware - as you can verify with your dealer. The power supply and analog upgrades were thrown in because they have the machine in the factory. NS1 is Emm Labs' network bridge - probably not relevant if you still spin discs, but it is one of the best network bridges/servers I have heard.

When I spoke with them I got the impression that they would update the power supply and analog if any owner sends their machine in for service and maintenance.

If you want to know if your unit has the upgraded power supply, you can just reach out and they should know.
Thanks. I'll take a look at what exactly was involved in my V2 upgrade. As I did my upgrade in 2017 and perhaps the power supply and analog was also done. But given that it sounds like it was something additional to the V2 upgrade perhaps not. Or perhaps the power supply and analog were not even available as an upgrade back then? I'll email them and find out.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #85 of 125

mind if I ask how much the upgrade cost? Asking cause the pruice difference between the V1 and V2 is quite large on the used market

May 23, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #86 of 125
mind if I ask how much the upgrade cost? Asking cause the pruice difference between the V1 and V2 is quite large on the used market
$1800 IIRC. V1 is a tough find these days.

May 23, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #87 of 125
Mine was $AU2,700.00 ($US1,900.00) back in 2017.

I have also emailed EMM Labs & the Australian Company who did my V2 upgrade in 2017 & asked about the power supply upgrade & the analog output upgrdae as per our previous discussion. Haven’t heard back yet but will keep you in the loop when I do.

May 23, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #88 of 125
I am also curious to know if anyone on this thread has heard a comparison of the DAC2X V2 v’s their newer DA2? I am expecting to be an improvement given the price differential between the 2 units. But the mind boggles how it could be better. I love the DAC2X V2 so much I have considered it my “end point DAC”. Up until I purchased this I kept on listening to other DACS when I had my PBD MPS-5. But I feel no need too now having had this for a few years now

May 23, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #89 of 125
I am also curious to know if anyone on this thread has heard a comparison of the DAC2X V2 v’s their newer DA2? I am expecting to be an improvement given the price differential between the 2 units. But the mind boggles how it could be better. I love the DAC2X V2 so much I have considered it my “end point DAC”. Up until I purchased this I kept on listening to other DACS when I had my PBD MPS-5. But I feel no need too now having had this for a few years now
I wouldn’t worry about it. More is not always better. More could just mean more of something you probably don’t care about.

May 23, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #90 of 125
I wouldn’t worry about it. More is not always better. More could just mean more of something you probably don’t care about.
Haha ... yes don't disagree. But aren't you just a little bit curious? I know I am. Chances are I will never get the opportunity to hear something this expensive. And I would always think that if someone spends this sort of $$$ on digital only to sound more and more like an analogue source chances are they already own a great analogue rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back