Elysian Annihilator 2023
Oct 3, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #226 of 830
That's true. What I meant was, there's nothing wrong sonically with the stock LL Martini cable.
Oh nothing at all. But they're bulky and ... I gotta be frank a bit tacky for my taste. I'm not an aesthetics guy but I prefer a basic black or gray cable.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #227 of 830
Oh nothing at all. But they're bulky and ... I gotta be frank a bit tacky for my taste. I'm not an aesthetics guy but I prefer a basic black or gray cable.
Yeah, they’re a bit gaudy. I agree with you there.

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #228 of 830
Ah, ok! I don't mind the aesthetic part at all 😬

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #229 of 830
Ah, ok! I don't mind the aesthetic part at all 😬
Me neither. I like the look and feel. I have a Martini on my EVO so I’m happy to have it with Annihilator. If/when it arrives.. 😊

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #232 of 830
Hey guys, I bought an Elysian Annihilator 2023 after selling my headphones as I'm physically unable to wear them anymore. I need a portable solution for my MacBook Air and iPhone 15 Pro Max with USB-C.

I was thinking of a dongle like the Cayin RU7. This is just for listening at work and sometimes during commute or travel. Or would an apple dongle suffice? I already have a full desktop setup at home.

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #233 of 830
Hey guys, I bought an Elysian Annihilator 2023 after selling my headphones as I'm physically unable to wear them anymore. I need a portable solution for my MacBook Air and iPhone 15 Pro Max with USB-C.

I was thinking of a dongle like the Cayin RU7. This is just for listening at work and sometimes during commute or travel. Or would an apple dongle suffice? I already have a full desktop setup at home.
I recommend something more powerful to help Annihilator scale.

The EST’s require more juice in order to scale. I’ve found this to be quite important.

Consider something like a Mojo2 ahead of dongles at least

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 19, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #234 of 830

Hey there. I own both the Annihilator 2023 and the Cayin RU7.

- My honest opinion is that the RU7 is "barely just enough." (I hate it when people say this, but for this case that's really how I felt)
- Volume is not a problem.
- However, I think the Anni loses air, PRaT, and note weight when used with the RU7 compared to HiBy R6 Pro II DAP.
- I also tried it with the L&P W4, but think the synergy with RU7 is better.
- I do not have an Apple Dongle to test unfortunately.
- That said, Anni losing some of its potential is still better than many IEMs out there - so a dongle setup is still viable.
- Side note: The RU7 is my favorite dongle in terms of musicality.

ctt.jpg

Oct 19, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #236 of 830
Hey there. I own both the Annihilator 2023 and the Cayin RU7.

- My honest opinion is that the RU7 is "barely just enough." (I hate it when people say this, but for this case that's really how I felt)
- Volume is not a problem.
- However, I think the Anni loses air, PRaT, and note weight when used with the RU7 compared to HiBy R6 Pro II DAP.
- I also tried it with the L&P W4, but think the synergy with RU7 is better.
- I do not have an Apple Dongle to test unfortunately.
- That said, Anni losing some of its potential is still better than many IEMs out there - so a dongle setup is still viable.
- Side note: The RU7 is my favorite dongle in terms of musicality.

ctt.jpg
Hey thanks. I'll be able to demo both the RU7 and R6 Pro II DAP. I'm not opposed to a DAP but was wondering if a dongle is sufficient enough as I don't need to carry a DAP around. I assume you use the DAP mostly when taking them out?

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #237 of 830
Hey thanks. I'll be able to demo both the RU7 and R6 Pro II DAP. I'm not opposed to a DAP but was wondering if a dongle is sufficient enough as I don't need to carry a DAP around. I assume you use the DAP mostly when taking them out?
Anni sounds well enough with the Apple dongle, or plugged into either my Macbook Pro or Asus laptop. But it scales noticeably better with a better source like the R6Pro, or in my case RS6.

The thing is, once you’ve invested in an IEM like Annihilator, you kind of owe it to yourself to hear it at its best, at least some of the time, and at least a midrange DAP, or something like Mojo2 would do that.

You’re coming from headphones, right? If you’ve used anything planar, you’re probably familiar with how they scale up with better desktop rigs, and Anni with its DD and estats is similar in this regard. Like, my Empyrean sounds ok with the apple dongle, but it’s incredible with a proper desktop amp.

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #238 of 830
Has anyone had a chance to compare Anni2023 and Noble Ragnar ?
I did. Ragnar is a very good IEM, but I prefer the Anni. Ragnar has more resolving power, but it sounds to me less natural, dry and metallic compared to Anni.
And to me listening to the Ragnar wasn't a relaxing experience, like Ragnar always demanded my complete attention.

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #239 of 830
I did. Ragnar is a very good IEM, but I prefer the Anni. Ragnar has more resolving power, but it sounds to me less natural, dry and metallic compared to Anni.
And to me listening to the Ragnar wasn't a relaxing experience, like Ragnar always demanded my complete attention.
Thank you for your answer. I asked because I own Ragnar but ( unlike many) I don't find it too bright in the high end or even fatiguing. The only thing I would like to have (compared to Ragnar) is a little (not much) more low end and slightly a thread of warmth over the whole range. Otherwise I find Ragnar to my personal listening more " alive" than both Traillii and RN6. I wanted to see if Anni2023 could appeal to me as well as Jomo Alpha Ti. (Which I have never listened to).

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #240 of 830
Got the Anni 23 a few months back and tried tip rolling them with these ear tips:
  • DUNU S&S Silicone
  • HiFiGo x ZEOS Render Silicone Memory Foam
  • Final Audio Type E Series Silicone (Black)
  • Final Audio Type E Series Silicone (Clear)
  • DIVINUS Velvet Silicone
  • JVC EP-FX9M-B
  • AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC
  • Radius Deep Mount Clear
  • Sony EP-EX11 (White & Black) *Unable to squeeze it on due to very narrow eartip nozzle diameter
  • Spinfit W1 (Same as the included eartips)
So far based on my listen, the DIVINUS Velvet Silicone seem to be the best sounding. Compared to the W1 which I had more time with (due to it being included), the bass has more control/tighter sounding, treble (more towards the air region) sounds fuller and more present. Soundstage seems to be slighter wider as well.

A few observations I found were:
  • The narrower the eartip nozzle diameter, there is more emphasis on the bass but also reduced treble and mids.
  • The shorter the eartip nozzle length, the more open the soundstage is.
I would rate the eartips in this order (personal pref & YMMV):
  1. DIVINUS Velvet Silicone
  2. JVC EP-FX9M-B
  3. DUNU S&S Silicone
All eartips were tested was M size or similar to it.
20231017_214248.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back