Elite TWag Micro Prototype
Jan 14, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #48 of 136
Just sent paypal for the TWag micro w/ switchcraft connector. Thanks!

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #49 of 136
looks like it should fit perfectly with iphone 3gs and the new pico slim...i know no one has the pico slim yet so cannot verify, but with the pico slim's input on the left side, i'm assuming the cable is long enough so the switchcraft plug fits in perfectly. does this sound right?

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #50 of 136
Craig, any update on when these are going to start shipping?

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #52 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like it should fit perfectly with iphone 3gs and the new pico slim...i know no one has the pico slim yet so cannot verify, but with the pico slim's input on the left side, i'm assuming the cable is long enough so the switchcraft plug fits in perfectly. does this sound right?

From what I can see, it should fits perfectly.....

Craig

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #53 of 136
I got mine today, Thanks Craig. The good: It's silver and flexible, the LOD is low profile.

The not so good: The LOD isn't *quite* compatible with the iPhone 3G or 3GS it will give you the "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone" message every time and ask you to put it into airplane mode. I know that's fairly normal with DIY/small production devices though and to be expected. It also gives the "GSM Chirp". For fit: using it with an RSA Shadow amp, the right angle is coming off of the wrong side (Right) if you want to strap the Shadow to the back of the device. What happens is that with the length of the cable and the way it WANTS to lay, you have to put the top of the Shadow against the iDevice. The switchcraft plug is too wide (sticks above the top of the amp) and therefore the amp won't sit nicely against the back of your iDevice. It clears the bottom just fine, but it's not possible to set it up this way (try touching your nose to your elbow). the Right vs. Left exit is probably due to how the low profile plugs come though.

This seems like a good cable, just not ideal for use in the Shadow/iDevice config if you want your stuff to be neat/tidy.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #54 of 136
The product shot is with the Shadow and it fits fine.

Umm. Left side is not possible since all of the termination is on that side. The message is only with the iPhone and its because of the airplane mode.

The switchcraft is a larger connector. There is nothing I can do except use the Neutrik right angle which I do have. If you want me to switch it out, than let me know!!!

Its really the connector......To me, its barely too big and can be accommodated. However it is SLIGHTLY larger when using the shadow and I see your point. I always go for SQ vs shape and size. BUT, I do offer the Neutrk which is the standard connector and fits well.

Let me know if you want me to switch the connector out...

thank~~~
craig

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #55 of 136
Hi Craig, Thanks for the quick response. I agree with you about "SQ vs. size and shape" but I'm trying to build a "single device" that I can put in/pull out of my pocket easily w/o much catching. I do like the switchcraft connectors more than nutrik.

Since pictures show this better than words, I've attached a few. The first shows the clearance. Yes, this can be solved by moving the amp down to the bottom where it will clear with the taper, but that's not "balanced." The second picture is about how I was going to line it up/attach it. Another option (but will probably catch coming out of a pocket) is the last photo.

Since the clearance is fairly close, I'm going to try to see if velcro will fix the problem, as that might give the amp enough overhead height. I'll update with my findings
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #56 of 136
OK, I did some velcro work and things seem better. Sorry for the crappy photos, but I had to use the 3G w/ crappy camera to take pics of the 3GS w/ shadow. As 2 added benefits, the iPhone now has a built on landscape mode dock
wink.gif
and if I run the IEM cable down the center of the velcro, it gives extra strain relief.

With the velcro, there isn't a clearance issue anymore.

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #57 of 136
^ looks much better. dammit, I'd told myself I DONT NEED THIS........

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #59 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound is.......

After I got the fitment issues worked out, I was able to listen a bit more. The initial impressions are very good. Nice smooth sound, clear and open sound stage. Big improvement over the headphone jack -> Shadow, as expected!

I've got the portable rig (iPhone 3GS -> TWag Micro LOD -> RSA Shadow -> JH13) running to do some burn in overnight and should have a better sound review tomorrow and later this week.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #60 of 136
Let me add my two cents ... this is my first foray into purchasing higher end LOD. I was blown away by the difference in sound... much warmer and less harsh. I purchased this to go with the soon-to-be released pico slim which will drive my 530s and fit quite nicely from what I can tell. Right now using the 530s with a cheaper amp and Cmoy and even with that it is quite amazing.

Quality product and top notch service from Craig!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back