Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Nov 7, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #391 of 674
Hi fellow Head Fi’ers,

After reading and watching a few videos on the topic of headphones, I’m now rocking the full Eleven Audio stack paired with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC.

They have great synergy together.

But I have noticed a humming sound develop from the Powerman similar to what I can only describe as a tiny aquatic pump at low, low volume. I can’t notice it through the Abyss when playing music but in the quiet of the night, when there is a silence changing tracks or when I take the headphones off, I can hear it. Frustratingly the sounds comes and goes and yes I sit ear level with the stack within reaching distance to the volume knob.

I have the DAC and Powerman connected to a powerboard that has 5 outlets that is then connected to its own wall outlet. Aside from the Sagra and Powerman, no other devices are connected but I’ve still noticed the humming sound.

is this a normal operating sound from the Powerman?

Thanks in advance

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #392 of 674
Hi fellow Head Fi’ers,

After reading and watching a few videos on the topic of headphones, I’m now rocking the full Eleven Audio stack paired with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC.

But I have noticed a humming sound develop from the Powerman similar to what I can only describe as a tiny aquatic pump at low, low volume. I can’t notice it through the Abyss when playing music but in the quiet of the night, when there is a silence changing tracks or when I take the headphones off, I can hear it. Frustratingly the sounds comes and goes and yes I sit ear level with the stack within reaching distance to the volume knob.

I have the DAC and Powerman connected to a powerboard that has 5 outlets that is then connected to its own wall outlet. Aside from the Sagra and Powerman, no other devices are connected but I’ve still noticed the humming sound.

Thanks in advance
It could be a mechanical noise coming from the transformer which is usually caused by dc offset. You could try plugging the powerman into other outlets and see if the sound goes away. You could also try turning off various devices in your house and see if that helps. Or you could order something that eliminates dc offset, ifi and audiolab make such devices. I have a similar issue with my dac, the Denafrips Pontus II, where I hear a hum coming from the unit if I put my ear close to it. It doesn't affect the sound and have been told that it doesn't hurt the device either but it's something I would like to resolve. I may order one of the dc blocker devices but for now I'll live with it.

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #393 of 674
Nov 7, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #394 of 674
my formula s/powerman is silent,other than when playing music lol

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #395 of 674
Hi fellow Head Fi’ers,

Thanks in advance
Mine is completely silent

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #396 of 674
Hi fellow Head Fi’ers,

Thanks in advance
Someone else mentioned plugging their Amp directly into the wall removed all noise. Worth a try.

Nov 7, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #397 of 674
Hi fellow Head Fi’ers,

Thanks in advance
I had ground loop issues with my Form S. Follow this to confirm it’s mains hum and fix. https://www.psaudio.com/ps-how/how-to-find-and-fix-hum/

FWIW I fixed mine with a HumX plug.

Nov 8, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #399 of 674
Nov 12, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #401 of 674
Thanks for all the feedback.

It’s gonna take a bit of time to go through the suggestions here. But as it’s not impacting the music through the headphones, I might just leave it.
A very reasonable approach. I think most here could not probably leave it alone knowing that it simply exists, period, even if it isn't totally audible during actual listening.

Have you tried playing a track of just silence to see if you can hear the hum? Here is one I use

https://tidal.com/track/29582002

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #402 of 674
Owner of a Formula S with Powerman.
Haven't spend too much time with it just yet but initial listens with my Abyss 1266 suggest why I didn't get it sooner.

I usually do listen decently loud, not ear bleeding levels but certainly not a quite listener.
The first thing I noticed was the inky black background, I have read about it but never really understood it before.
The music just jumps at you so is the dynamics.
I found myself listening at a much lower dB then before and it was a sonic banquet.

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #403 of 674
yes, it is a terrific combo

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #404 of 674
That amp sounds good with just about all my headphones, its a keeper, 1266 or not.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #405 of 674
That amp sounds good with just about all my headphones, its a keeper, 1266 or not.
Agreed, the FS+P may be made for the TC’s or Abyss headphones, but it sounds good with any planar headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back