Eleven Audio XIAUDIO Formula S Headphone Amplifier
Sep 4, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #361 of 674
Got some new cables today from Audio Envy. I ended up with a pair of xlr cables and two power cables. The cables themselves are fairly lightweight and flexible and use nice connectors. Power cables are for dac and amp. I don't notice much of a difference but will let them play for a bit then swap back to what I was using before to see if I notice anything.

I also got a Furman Elite 15 pfi in the mail the other day so when I do hear something different it's hard to say what it's related to. Regardless the Formula S and Powerman still sound great with the 1266.

Here's a picture of the cables that arrived today:
AudioEnvy.jpg
Audio envy makes some great looking and sounding cables and power cords

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #362 of 674
In the most recent Abyss YouTube video, they mentioned an upcoming XIaudio product, the K-Dac. It is a new dac that will be priced around 1500 USD and will match the size of their Broadway products. I don't see any official statements about this product but you can watch the following video to see them mention it:

I know this is a bit off topic so hopefully you don't mind me posting this here.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #363 of 674
I saw the video and the K-DAC has me curious even though they say the Sagra DAC is better. I have the Sagra DAC mated up with the Formula S/Powerman and I can agree that it is a stellar combo for planars in general. My D8K Pro's sound absolutely amazing on the XIAudio stack. The Sagra DAC was the missing piece for filling in the hole and giving the Formula S some body and texture. I also added the Singxer SU-6 in front of the Sagra DAC and it has further improved the sound of the XIAudio stack.

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #364 of 674
I saw the video and the K-DAC has me curious even though they say the Sagra DAC is better. I have the Sagra DAC mated up with the Formula S/Powerman and I can agree that it is a stellar combo for planars in general. My D8K Pro's sound absolutely amazing on the XIAudio stack. The Sagra DAC was the missing piece for filling in the hole and giving the Formula S some body and texture. I also added the Singxer SU-6 in front of the Sagra DAC and it has further improved the sound of the XIAudio stack.
Yeah I am also curious on what the differences will be between the K-DAC and the Sagra DAC. And if the K-DAC is still using the Soekris R2R ladders it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Soekris dacs like the 2541 given the price is more in line with their current offerings.

I've also been interested in DDCs recently and have heard good things about the Singxer products. At some point I will probably purchase a Mutec MC-3+. It's a more pro-audio oriented device but I've seen some reviews that seem to indicate that it pairs nicely with high-end dacs.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #365 of 674
Yeah I am also curious on what the differences will be between the K-DAC and the Sagra DAC. And if the K-DAC is still using the Soekris R2R ladders it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Soekris dacs like the 2541 given the price is more in line with their current offerings.

I've also been interested in DDCs recently and have heard good things about the Singxer products. At some point I will probably purchase a Mutec MC-3+. It's a more pro-audio oriented device but I've seen some reviews that seem to indicate that it pairs nicely with high-end dacs.
There are some comparisons between the Singxer SU-6 and Mutec MC-3+ in the SU-6 thread. Check it out when you get a chance.

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #366 of 674
Yep, here’s the Powerman. I took one when I was troubleshooting my issue

D1FFC8EB-AB85-4226-B62C-EFFBAB833C81.jpeg
This looks like a hastily put together lunchbox at a kindergarten in Cybertron

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #367 of 674
This looks like a hastily put together lunchbox at a kindergarten in Cybertron
There's not much to it that's for sure. Whatever the case, it sure makes a difference in the sound of the Formula S.

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #368 of 674
You're right. I agree with you

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #370 of 674
who cares what it looks like inside...?.....it sounds wonderful...

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #371 of 674
I finally had the chance to do a volume-matched comparison between the FS/P (TT2/M-scaler on DAC duty via superconductor V RCA) and the TT2 dual XLR3 output (with Moon Audio female-to-female XLR3 adapters). The headphone is the 1266 TC + Superconductor HP cable. I struggled with whether I should sell my FS/P stack to free up some funds and try something new (maybe the CRBN?) but I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon.

I used a sound level meter and several test tones (40hz, 250 hz, 1 khz, 2.5 khz ) to make sure the TT2 and FS were matched.

Bass. The FS just gives more present and impactful bass than the TT2. You can feel the oscillations of bass tones and even more sub-bass rumble. It just seems the FS is more interested in delivering the sensation and tactile experience of bass than it is in the tonal accuracy of bass. It's on full display here and bordering on supernatural. Some people talk about bass "grip" and I've always wondered what that referred to. I think I'm starting to understand now, maybe. This doesn't appear to be related to pure power, as TT2 outputs many more watts from its dual XLR compared to the FS. The FS just does a better job squeezing out that last drop in TC's bass technicalities and prowess, and it does so effortlessly.

Mids: Vocals feel slightly warmer, and slightly more forward. Tonally, I'm hearing more body overall. The TT2 conversely does mids with a tiny bit more brightness (and probably correctness) and seems to have an edge in microdetail. The TT2 has a better ability to render actual vocalizations (word-forming, spit bubbles popping, etc). I suppose the slight loss of transparency is the price you pay.

Treble: I'd give this to the TT2, which treats treble a little more delicately. Let's take the hi-hat for example. On some tracks, the TT2 really nails the metallic vibration and coarseness of a drumstick against the hi-hat. The FS seems to focus more on the impact itself with less of the sizzle (more attack, less decay if you will). It might as well be a wooden spoon against that hi-hat. Again, not as delicate as the TT2's handling, and not as realistic. Keep in mind this is with the superconductor HP cable, which to my ears, already imparts a smoother and more subdued treble experience compared to the stock cable, which allowed a little too much energy in that region for my tastes. Who knows, maybe the Formula S actually tones down the stock cable treble juuuuust the right amount and inches it closer to the TT2's handling.

The Formula S / Powerman combo really makes a lot of sense in the context of the TC. I can see why it's been said that this amp tuned for this specific headphone, since it augments its best feature (the bass), while improving on its main two sonic flaws: the distant and slightly cold mids; and the (occasionally) excessive treble energy.

As for other factors like soundstage dimensions, I honestly can't tell the difference -- it's like comparing humongous vs enormous. Let's say it's a tie.

[edit: I went back and assessed the spatial qualities of the FS. I honestly prefer the TT2's overall abilities here. I agree that the TC does have more instrument separation and a wider stage. Also the image seems taller, as well. But the stage on the FS is sadly flatter in the anterior-posterior direction. I can offer a potential explanation for this loss of depth: maybe it's a combination of the mids being brought more forward, along with the stereo separation between instruments/sounds increasing mostly laterally on top of an already wide stage. On the song Lake Street Dive - Use Me Up and Postmodern Juke Box - Hey Ya!, the effect is that the back-up singers sound like they're at your 9- and 3 o'clock, instead of in front of you at your 10 and 2 (on the TT2). I hope that makes some sense. Overall the TT2's spatial handling seems to preserve more realism, which I do value over the stage being wider.

What all this means to me is that as long as I own a 1266 TC, the Formula S / Powerman will stay with it. The TT2 is still impressive and very capable of driving the 1266 (not to mention, being better at showcasing the TC's detail and imaging prowess) but we're talking about obtaining that last 3.298% of peak performance, and I'm fairly confident the Formula S unlocks that (without my having to pay an absurd amount for a WA33). YMMV of course

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #372 of 674
One caveat: I'm wondering if the Formula S' reduced depth of stage is an issue of the JPS superconductor V RCA that I'm using. I am trying to acquire Lessloss C-MARC RCA cables that another user (monsterzero) reviewed as having very holographic stage. The only other RCAs that I have are AudioEnvy brand, and it just sounds too bright (apparently they need 300-500 hrs of burn in).

What RCAs are people using and can anyone comment on whether they are getting great stage depth with theirs?

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #373 of 674
One caveat: I'm wondering if the Formula S' reduced depth of stage is an issue of the JPS superconductor V RCA that I'm using. I am trying to acquire Lessloss C-MARC RCA cables that another user (monsterzero) reviewed as having very holographic stage. The only other RCAs that I have are AudioEnvy brand, and it just sounds too bright (apparently they need 300-500 hrs of burn in).

What RCAs are people using and can anyone comment on whether they are getting great stage depth with theirs?
I would recommend trying Transparent Audio Cables, Excellent Imaging and Soundstage without sacrificing any detail and overall sound organic.Recommend buying something from their mid tier as that’s where you get the best bang for buck and really the Transparent Audio Goodness.

Oct 29, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #374 of 674
Thanks for the heads-up. That website has so many choices that i got mind-boggled and gave up. Which ones do you use?

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #375 of 674

I’m switching over to Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II’s XLR’s for my XIAudio stack. They also have RCA version of these cables. I was using Kimber Kable Hero RCA’s before. The difference in detail, clarity, depth and holography is amazing. They’re not cheap cables but the upgrade in sonics is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back