Elemental Watson Class-A Valve/Mosfet Hybrid Headphone Amplifier (Review added)
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #316 of 333
Hmm, thanks for the help - I appreciate it.

I'll be patient with pulling it, and maybe there's some dust or otherwise making it hard taking it out for the first time. I really do want to switch out tubes and see if there's a less-noisy type I can substitute instead with good sound. If I get that to work I'll let y'all know.

Thanks!

Hi @avitron142,

No problem, the tubes are just tight in the socket so as long as your're gentle, there should be no issue with tube rolling.

Just remember to pick correct equivalent &/or variant for stock 6AK5 tube.
Reducing the gain will also help with noise but depends on tube, stock & some variants prefer some gain otherwise may not sound great or opitmal, your mileage will vary.

Look forward to what you find.

Hope you have a great day !

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #317 of 333
So the iematch makes this silent to my ears. Wiggle the tubes, don't try pulling them to take them out. After switching out tubes (taking off the glass cover also helps with this), I'm definitely liking the Jan 5654W's - lean sound that sounds great with the 6XX's and HE400S's, and good with the K7XX. Bit of a weird soundstage (more oval than anything, if I'm hearing correctly) but still with a good sense of space.

I didn't like it as much with the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, sounded fairly bloated, and more so with a colored headphone like the 6XX. Maybe with an extremely lean headphone (K702) the Vokshod would come in handy.

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #318 of 333
Yesterday turned on the EWII, plugged in my R70X (POP and painless static feeling on my ears)
Same thing happen last year when I tried plugging in Ath-im03, got a shock like an ant bite to my ears.
Never tried putting iems in amplifiers again.

Could someone explain what is going on.

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #319 of 333
Yesterday turned on the EWII, plugged in my R70X (POP and painless static feeling on my ears)
Same thing happen last year when I tried plugging in Ath-im03, got a shock like an ant bite to my ears.
Never tried putting iems in amplifiers again.

Could someone explain what is going on.

Hi @James Shoegazer,

Unfortunately, the EWII in particular, can't be used with IEMs, especially sensitive IEMs or any headphones with low impedance, this is a known & not limited to the EWII as some tube amps also have this same occurence.
Though in the EWII's case, this has to do with how the contact plates on PCB are wired & grounded as well as sensitivity of the 6AK5 tubes as they are based on the original military comms spec which required high power for communications.
Tube rolling will not necessarily 'fix' this either but can't comment as I have no access to alternative tubes which work for the EWII.

In general terms, depending but not limited to several factors, amplifiers are all affected by the following in no particular order :

SNR
Sensitivity
Impedence
THD
Frequency Response
Output Power
Sound Tuning

As a further point but not limited to, Impedence is usually the primary determining factor what head gear can be plugged into an amplifer as not every amplifier can support every head gear for various reasons on top of the ones already mentioned.
So based on your own experience, I would suggest be more careful what head gear you plug into what amplifier in the future.

Hope this makes sense.

Feel free to ask more if necessary.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #320 of 333
I would wager those pots are for bias adjustments.
I suspect that you are correct as it appears as though the trace from the pot connects to a tube pin. A tiny bit of rotation results in large changes of voltage at the two test points marked T1 and T2 located on opposite sides of the circuit board just inboard of the heat sinks. Normally, bias voltage is adjusted to allow the tube to operate in its most linear range. I will try to find the recommended bias voltage for the GE tubes that came installed in mine. For now, I set both of mine at 15.0 vdc. (one-half supply voltage)
Sounds really fine listening to Tidal MQA.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #321 of 333
I've been away for a while, i had a quick read to the latest pages and seen people complaining about interferences, to all of you please keep in mind that this is an open design which keeps the costs very low, this amp in an aluminum enclosure should be sold for $800 and not less. To other people trying to pair this with iem's.... well sorry you should read what the company stated from the very beginning about this amp, pls see first page of this 3d. This is a power amp tuned to match some of the best headphones not iem's... Is like buying the milk and complining that doesn't taste sour cream....

And an update from me, just bought the FostexT60 RP, yes the hardest headphones to drive, feel free to tell me about a headphone which is harder to drive than this. The T50rp is the base of mods such as argon or mad dog. Well they drive the T60RP with ease and i'm blown away buy how good they can sound togheter, and as the company said "We made a fantastic power amp CLASS-A for the best high-end cans on the market"

For all of you owning this amp, get you're hands on a T50/T60rp modded or stock T60RP and then pls come back here and call me a liar.

Hope that helps.... this is an amazing amp and yes he just past the hardest test.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #322 of 333
I've been away for a while, i had a quick read to the latest pages and seen people complaining about interferences, to all of you please keep in mind that this is an open design which keeps the costs very low, this amp in an aluminum enclosure should be sold for $800 and not less. To other people trying to pair this with iem's.... well sorry you should read what the company stated from the very beginning about this amp, pls see first page of this 3d. This is a power amp tuned to match some of the best headphones not iem's... Is like buying the milk and complining that doesn't taste sour cream....

And an update from me, just bought the FostexT60 RP, yes the hardest headphones to drive, feel free to tell me about a headphone which is harder to drive than this. The T50rp is the base of mods such as argon or mad dog. Well they drive the T60RP with ease and i'm blown away buy how good they can sound togheter, and as the company said "We made a fantastic power amp CLASS-A for the best high-end cans on the market"

For all of you owning this amp, get you're hands on a T50/T60rp modded or stock T60RP and then pls come back here and call me a liar.

Hope that helps.... this is an amazing amp and yes he just past the hardest test.

Good for you, glad to hear it's working out. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a $300+ amp not to have interference on a 300 ohm headphone... but to each their own I guess. Just people should know that if you're bringing this into an office, have an IEMatch handy, even for high-impedance headphones. Otherwise you should be okay.

I've since upgraded from mine, but it's a great sounding device.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #323 of 333
Good for you, glad to hear it's working out. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a $300+ amp not to have interference on a 300 ohm headphone... but to each their own I guess. Just people should know that if you're bringing this into an office, have an IEMatch handy, even for high-impedance headphones. Otherwise you should be okay.

I've since upgraded from mine, but it's a great sounding device.

My friend, it's unreasonable to put diesel in an gasoline engine ?! i think yes, then why should u try to use iem's with this amp when he is not meant for this ? On the other side due to his open design you must pick with care the location where you decide to put this amp and even so regardless of the headphones or ohms you are still going to pick up some interferences, same amp in an aluminum enclosure was way more expensive but sure thing we were all experiencing zero interfences.... perhaps a small trade in the end ?! Hope this helps all of you owners or ex owners or new owners.

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #324 of 333
My friend, it's unreasonable to put diesel in an gasoline engine ?! i think yes, then why should u try to use iem's with this amp when he is not meant for this ? On the other side due to his open design you must pick with care the location where you decide to put this amp and even so regardless of the headphones or ohms you are still going to pick up some interferences, same amp in an aluminum enclosure was way more expensive but sure thing we were all experiencing zero interfences.... perhaps a small trade in the end ?! Hope this helps all of you owners or ex owners or new owners.
Do we have an example of this amp in an aluminium enclosure? Right now I'm enjoying another amp, not terribly expensive (definitely not $800), that is comparable with no interference.

Again, I don't advocate using iems with this amp. The interference was with a full blown AKG K7XX.

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #325 of 333
Do we have an example of this amp in an aluminium enclosure? Right now I'm enjoying another amp, not terribly expensive (definitely not $800), that is comparable with no interference.

Again, I don't advocate using iems with this amp. The interference was with a full blown AKG K7XX.
perhaps one day; i wish to build an enclosure even rough but effective when comes to shield the amp. which one is ?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #326 of 333

@avitron142,

Basically the answer to what you're asking is it's Big Brother :

Elemental Sherlock

Pretty much exactly the same but unlike EWM2 can be bridged mono block style if you feel so inclined.

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #327 of 333
anyone able to tell how many volts outputs the amp ?

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #328 of 333
Hi. Does anyone use the 6HM5 tubes in Elemental Watson II? My friend has two EI 6HM5, but I'm afraid to try them :)

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #329 of 333
Dec 17, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #330 of 333
Thank you for your response. I'd rather not risk it.
For my friend, the 6HM5 tubes work very well in Little Dot in the EF95 mode. They have a very good sound.
But EW may have a different design. I would rather try only the EF95 / 6AK5 tubes.

I like the EW sound with JAN 5654 tubes very much with the LCD-3. More than Burson Soloist sound.
But on Soloist is better bass extension, playing deeper. I'll try to find tubes with similar bass to Soloist, if at all possible :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back