Elemental Watson Class-A Valve/Mosfet Hybrid Headphone Amplifier (Review added)
Oct 17, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #271 of 333
Yep, it was just generally just a comment to the thread about Watson/Sherlock.

Re: ES9038PRO, I will have my hands on that in the next few weeks....the ES9038 Pro is a 'note to self' in my sig. in my audio chain....I'm still running ES9018 right now away from home base.
I'd go for something very linear and transparent Dac-wise vs something multibit which I'd imagine would be just too Phat across-the-board.

well i'm thinking to buy an smsl su-8 which is based on that dac in dual mono, that's why..

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #272 of 333
guys just found out that elemental besides the Watson 2 had revealed the Elemental Sherlock as well, i'm wondering how compares against the Watson

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #273 of 333
guys just found out that elemental besides the Watson 2 had revealed the Elemental Sherlock as well, i'm wondering how compares against the Watson
Yes, I was saying further up. It's more refined, puts out less power than Watson 2 with LCD2CB anyway, almost to get you to buy 2 to go dual-mono to really get at the full potential.
Could not really get any info out the seller on internals differences or who the designer is based in OZ.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #275 of 333
Hi @grig,

As @Lohb already stated, Sherlock is a more refined version when compared to Watson 2 tuning wise but essentialy the same with a few differences though I would say power is relative & depends on headphone pairing & synergy.
Personally, despite the added power, I find the Sherlock a little quieter but not by much & dual mono certainly has potential if the price together was more enticing for the Sherlock.

Both Watson 2 & Sherlock use 6AK5 tubes (old school military communications tubes) which are too noisy for sensitive IEMs unless something like the IFI IE Match is used though that pairing doesn't work for me for various reasons.
When I feel like using the Watson 2 I use headphones/IEMs less sensitive.

For me, Sherlock is certainly worth considering & is on my maybe list, as aside from price for the pair, let alone one is pushing it, sourcing quieter good quality tubes is annoying in the southern hemisphere, let alone anywhere in the world.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #276 of 333
Hi @grig,

As @Lohb already stated, Sherlock is a more refined version when compared to Watson 2 tuning wise but essentialy the same with a few differences though I would say power is relative & depends on headphone pairing & synergy.
Personally, despite the added power, I find the Sherlock a little quieter but not by much & dual mono certainly has potential if the price together was more enticing for the Sherlock.

Both Watson 2 & Sherlock use 6AK5 tubes (old school military communications tubes) which are too noisy for sensitive IEMs unless something like the IFI IE Match is used though that pairing doesn't work for me for various reasons.
When I feel like using the Watson 2 I use headphones/IEMs less sensitive.

For me, Sherlock is certainly worth considering & is on my maybe list, as aside from price for the pair, let alone one is pushing it, sourcing quieter good quality tubes is annoying in the southern hemisphere, let alone anywhere in the world.

you talk like you used the sherlock ? you tried the one in person ?

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #277 of 333
you talk like you used the sherlock ? you tried the one in person ?

Hi @grig,

I own the Watson 2 & have auditioned the Sherlock in mono extensively, Jaben did not have two to try at once which would have been interesting to say the least.
As stated, I would certainly be interested if I could find good equivalent tubes as not a fan overall of 6AK5 tubes for sensitive gear which isn't really an issue in itself & the price was more appealing, even just for one unit.
But maybe one day, will have to see, there are other more interesting & potentially 'better' amps than Sherlock for the price & value which use easier to source tubes.

Hope this makes sense.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #278 of 333
Hi @grig,

I own the Watson 2 & have auditioned the Sherlock in mono extensively, Jaben did not have two to try at once which would have been interesting to say the least.
As stated, I would certainly be interested if I could find good equivalent tubes as not a fan overall of 6AK5 tubes for sensitive gear which isn't really an issue in itself & the price was more appealing, even just for one unit.
But maybe one day, will have to see, there are other more interesting & potentially 'better' amps than Sherlock for the price & value which use easier to source tubes.

Hope this makes sense.
gotcha, i'm happy with the watson and the tubes that i have on it right now, i think i can potentially improve a bit the sound with better capacitors and a better power supply or maybe not.... i'm thinking to try...

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #279 of 333
gotcha, i'm happy with the watson and the tubes that i have on it right now, i think i can potentially improve a bit the sound with better capacitors and a better power supply or maybe not.... i'm thinking to try...

Hi @grig,

Try it, see how you go, be interested to see if there are any changes on your end.
Personally, the search continues for something other than stock tubes, sometimes don't feel like the high noise floor.
Not a lot of choice for tube equivalents I feel worth trying where I am & the exchange rate & sometimes ridiculous shipping, not really worth it.

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #280 of 333
Hi @grig,

Try it, see how you go, be interested to see if there are any changes on your end.
Personally, the search continues for something other than stock tubes, sometimes don't feel like the high noise floor.
Not a lot of choice for tube equivalents I feel worth trying where I am & the exchange rate & sometimes ridiculous shipping, not really worth it.

for sure soon i will do a video review of this one, planned this long time ago but never had time, and yes i think i will mod the little one, cheers !

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #281 of 333
Anyone able to do a comparison between the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp?

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #282 of 333
Hi @James Shoegazer,

Depends on your usage & what you looking for between the Elemental Watson M2 & the CTH.

I have both EW M2 & CTH & I like them for different reasons, both still have stock tubes as where I am due to exchange rates & the like, it is annoying to tube roll & since overall I am more than happy with their respective sound, I feel no real strong compulsion to change out the tubes.
If you have sensitive IEMs, the CTH is a better option as hiss is minimal to non existent once any sound plays.
EW M2 is generally better for headphones or any IEMs with impedence above 30 ohms.
EW M2, personally, due to nature of stock tubes used, have a slight crispiness after long usage (more than 8 hours) on any headphone which favours the high frequencies.

Both offer excellent sound otherwise on stock tubes.
Personally & subjectively, CTH sits on my desk more often than EW M2.

Hope you find this useful, feel free to ask me anything regarding either if necessary.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #283 of 333
Thanks @PaganDL, I curiously bought the EW M2 eventually at a steal. I agree with you the EW gives more punch and resolution in bass and overall sounds more forward in every way. While they sound the best out of my HD650s, I found them producing too much buzz especially on my lower imp ATH cans.
Wonder if tube rolling rectifies the annoyance...

The CTH, more laid back and smooth, shines with my K3003s and surprisingly the T1.2s though

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #284 of 333
Thanks @PaganDL, I curiously bought the EW M2 eventually at a steal. I agree with you the EW gives more punch and resolution in bass and overall sounds more forward in every way. While they sound the best out of my HD650s, I found them producing too much buzz especially on my lower imp ATH cans.
Wonder if tube rolling rectifies the annoyance...

The CTH, more laid back and smooth, shines with my K3003s and surprisingly the T1.2s though

Hi @James Shoegazer,

As mentioned in my previous post, nature of AK 5 stock tubes installed on the EW M2 to be slightly sensitive with a high noise floor & gain as per military spec back in the day which was the tube's original use.
This is why I also stated anything with low impedence, headphone or IEM, most likely be hard to listen to.
Yes, tube rolling should correct this but have yet to verify as I don't have access to any other AK 5 or equivalent but will endeavour to hunt some down but don't like my chances but I will see.
For that reason, CTH is the better overall performer & definitely benefits from tube rolling but once again, till I can get the tubes I'm after, I can't say which is 'better' or provides a more enjoyable experience.

Hope you find this useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back