Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
May 17, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #196 of 1,441
One interesting result was the level of distortion was lower when the amp was set to the 4ohm output setting and run to a 8ohm speaker vs the 8ohm setting to a 8ohm speaker!!! Very very fascinating  ...

Is there any danger of damaging the amp listening to 8ohm speakers at the 4ohm setting?

May 17, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #198 of 1,441
May 18, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #200 of 1,441
Just got the new tubes (psvane kt88 mkii premium matched pair). I will post detailed impressions later but they are simply a cut above the new production Mullards I was using. Soundstage width, depth, and placement is immediately improved. Timbre is so much more natural. Speed is incredible, the exact opposite of what I expected from the fat bottle KT88

May 23, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #201 of 1,441
Just got the new tubes (psvane kt88 mkii premium matched pair). I will post detailed impressions later but they are simply a cut above the new production Mullards I was using. Soundstage width, depth, and placement is immediately improved. Timbre is so much more natural. Speed is incredible, the exact opposite of what I expected from the fat bottle KT88

Any updates??? I've been tube rolling for the last several days trying different combinations of pre and power tubes together. I have the Amperex 7016 and Gold Lion Kt88's working very nicely together right now.

May 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #202 of 1,441
that sounds like an awesome combo. I'll write some more about the PSvane tubes next week. they took the Elekit to such a different level, though, that it sounds more like a new amp than new tubes. So I need to start collecting more top tier tubes so I can compare the subtle differences :)

May 27, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #203 of 1,441
Ok I've spent some more quality time with the PSVane. Highs are represented beautifully with a bit of "sparkle" without being bright at all. My speakers have a ribbon tweeter and theyre now resolving a lot more of the speed and clarity that they're capable of. The inner details of vocals and guitars really contribute to the lifelike sound. I do prefer to hear the band in the room rather than from monitors in the mixing booth, and thats exactly what these tubes give me. The unique tone of every instrument shines through. Bass is much more controlled compared to the Mullard new production el34. I was afraid I had issues with my room or speakers but the flabiness has been cleaned up considerably.

Compared to the Miniwatt N3, the PSVane Elekit is much more resolving of fine details, places sound more accurately, and has more authority and extension across the frequency range.
With that said, the N3 has a really nice tone that surprised me. I listened to it hooked up to my Scansonic for a couple days and didnt find myself enjoyjng the music any less. Very nice, classic tubey sound thats easy to listen to.

I have compared the speaker section of the Elekit directly to the Miniwatt, a T-amp, and an IcePower amp in the $1500 range. I absolutely prefer the Elekit. The fact that it's marketed as a headphone amp shows me what an overachiever this amp is. As I said I hope to build a Elekit 300b speaker amp next. If anyone would be interested in buying a TU8200dx with tubes for a good deal please pm me!

May 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #204 of 1,441
Has anyone compared Elekit TU-8000 DX to Fosgate Signature and to Woo Audio WA6-SE amps? I am considering either of those tube three to add to my collection and am not sure which one would be better choice to drive HE-560 in terms of sound quality and performance. Any recommendations?

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #205 of 1,441
Just a quick pic nothing fancy
f0c324ec72e3dd4b018c2579f35ed122.jpg

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #206 of 1,441
  I ended up not getting the Elekit TU-8500 preamp. I contacted Elekit, asking them for specs on the phono portion (specifically the capacitance). They responded by asking why I needed to know, and that they wouldn't disclose the specs for the phono portion. I told them my cartridge required a capacitance of 150-300pF and I was interested in purchasing the TU-8500, but would not if I didn't know the capacitance. They would only tell me that the TU-8500 would not be recommended for any cartridge with those requirements. I was some what disappointed by the whole email exchange. I ended up buying a Pro-Ject Tube Box S phono preamp, and it has 12AX7 tubes to roll!!! I will pick it up when I get off work in 10 days.

I sent the Hickok 533A to Roger Kennedy for a Refurb/Calibration, as the power tubes were reading OK, but any 9 pin tube would read really high.

Sorry to hear that about your cartridge and the TU-8500... it's a bummer that they don't make these preamps more adjustable.  As a side note, I remember back when I was researching adjustable load capacitance, etc. for proper cartridge matching, I found quite a few DIYers who were saying that they hooked up volume pots attached to some kind of internal attenuation and essentially made the load completely variable by use of the pot.  I really have no idea how to do it or specifics, etc., but I found it very interesting indeed... if one was so inclined.  Talk about fine tuning! 
wink.gif

Have you received the Tube Box S yet?  Unfortunately, the 12AX7 are not the same specs as the 12AU7; trying to remember off the top of my head, but something is doubled in the X version.  That's not to say you absolutely can't use 12AU7s in your preamp, as some are designed to handle both, but better to check with Pro-Ject first to make sure you won't have any potential issues.  If I remember correctly, sometimes a circuit for the X can handle the U, if it is built correctly to, but generally not the other way around.  Would be better to check first, but just think if it does, you've already got some nice 12AU7s for the Elekit!

Good idea on the Hickok, Roger is an amazing guy and I'm willing to bet he is the most knowledgeable person when it comes to Hickoks, even other testers, period.  Unfortunately do to his recent surgeries, repairing them has been more difficult than in the past... it's too bad as he is a really great guy who takes a lot of pride in his work.  I just hope his health has improved a little since I last spoke with him and that he is starting to feel a bit better.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #207 of 1,441
LingLing1337,

Nice pic
beerchug.gif

Effusion,

The Tube Box S was made a very noticeable improvement over the Schiit Mani... Smoother, richer, wider soundstage, and almost no background noise unless cranked way past 2 o'clock !!! I emailed Pro-Ject about replacing the tubes with the slightly lower gain but a touch higher in the heater current department 5751 tubes. They suggested I stick to 12AX7's only (12AX7 apprx 90 in the gain department vs 70 in the 5751's and 17 in the 12AU7's). I rolled out the stock made in China 12AX7's for some Canadian made Amperex 12AX7's, again the music took a turn in the right direction and opened up even further with more detail and clarity.

Roger confirmed he received the Hickok at the end of April, and said it could be anywhere from 3-9 weeks before he gets a look at it, so I will wait a little longer before contacting him and asking for updates. He made it clear I would be looking at least several months before I sent it to him, and I get the impression he doesn't like to be pestered or rushed. I'm in no hurry to get it back, the Maxi's are doing just fine. I just want it calibrated properly by a professional.

I have a TEAC UD-301 DAC on the way... So when I get home at the end of June, I will be having a Vinyl vs DSD showdown featuring Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album...lol

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #208 of 1,441
Hi JK-47

I ended up not getting the Elekit TU-8500 preamp. I contacted Elekit, asking them for specs on the phono portion (specifically the capacitance). They responded by asking why I needed to know, and that they wouldn't disclose the specs for the phono portion. I told them my cartridge required a capacitance of 150-300pF and I was interested in purchasing the TU-8500, but would not if I didn't know the capacitance. They would only tell me that the TU-8500 would not be recommended for any cartridge with those requirements. I was some what disappointed by the whole email exchange. I ended up buying a Pro-Ject Tube Box S phono preamp, and it has 12AX7 tubes to roll!!! I will pick it up when I get off work in 10 days.

I sent the Hickok 533A to Roger Kennedy for a Refurb/Calibration, as the power tubes were reading OK, but any 9 pin tube would read really high.

I will discuss with Mr Fujita about your questions.. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #209 of 1,441
  Hi JK-47

I will discuss with Mr Fujita about your questions.. 

Thanks Victor. It would really help potential buyers with turntables in their system.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #210 of 1,441
Here is the loading table for TU-8500

There is no need to use 2 resistors for R1 and R3 . User can use just one resistor for R1.

Cartridge Loading
MM (L/R)   
MC
R5 ,  R6

R1, R2      
47Kohm
500ohm

200ohm

100ohm

Remark
No resistor for R3 and R4
No change

When you consider the capacitance,
You always need to take the wiring  into consideration.
Please check the SHURE site below.

http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/1049/us_pro_m92e_ug.pdf

Optimum Load: 47,000 ohms resistance in parallel with 200 to 300 picofarads capacitance per channel. Load resistance can be up to 70,000 ohms with almost no audible change in frequency response. Total capacitance includes both tone arm wiring and amplifier input circuit.

Also, for MC, there is no need to change the resistor.  Changing the resistor does not affect much.

If you need anything, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back