Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Mar 22, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #166 of 1,441
Mr Chance,

Glad to hear that the Elekit is able to handle a 88 dB speaker load, even in Triode mode.  Do you have the amp set to a particular Ohm output setting?

As far as microphonics, it can be difficult when using speakers, not so much a problem with headphones, unless you are really jamming!  You can always try some tube dampeners, many like Herbie's, but others are available as well, such as Music Hall and various homegrown DIY.  You may find that not all tubes are severely microphonic as others, even those of the same type/manufacture will vary.

Let us know how things progress in your comparisons, either with different tube changes as well as additional burn-in time on the Elekit.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #167 of 1,441
Does anyone know if it is possible to measure the capacitors when they are mounted? Since I changed them It seems that I get more power to the left channel. The capacitors are +/- 5% so could that be the problem?

I'm so glad I can hide behind an alias when I tell you that the problem was that I had left the left channel in pentod mode and only shifted the right one back to triode after having tried out the diffrent settings. :p

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #168 of 1,441
I was a bit skeptical when you change the capacitors that fixed the channel imbalance unless there was a cold solder joint. Capacitors tolerance have very little to do with channel imbalance issues.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #170 of 1,441
Got my psvane 12au7 mkii premium pair in the mail... I really didnt expect a signal tube to make such a dramatic difference. With this tube detail is significantly improved. Soundstage placement is more accurate. Leading edge and decay are more palpable leading to a much greater sense of realism. I feel like the psvane does not add any coloration but rather lets the power tube really shine. For example I can now appreciate the smooth, organic sound of the Mullard el34 more easily.

My current input tube rankings are as follows

1. Psvane 12au7 mkii ($70 shipped, ebay seller may accept a lower offer) "wire with gain" sound, detailed, fast and holographic without beinf bright
2. Amperex Bugle boy 12au7 ($40 shipped) warm, full tube sound. Most bass impact and depth of the input tubes ive tried, at the expense of speed.
3. RCA clear top 12au7 ($20 shipped) improvement over stock but not very noticeable compared to the Amperex or especially the PSvane. More resolution and bass control than the stock Chinese tube but you will have to listen for it.

Ill start trying different families and makes of power tubes now. PSvane seems like a promising place to start.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #172 of 1,441
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to try out the Psvane 12au7s soon!  I also agree with both your impressions of the Amperex and RCA; it seems like the RCA clear tops are starting to go for more money lately, as I purschased a matched pair, out of several dozen, right after I bought the Elekit and paid ~7.50 shipped per pair.  I agree though, it should only be an option if other 12au7s feel just a little too much money at first, if to just get an idea of what the possibilities of tube rolling can do before laying down one's wallet!

I'm excited to hear your other impressions on the power tubes, especially if you get the chance to compare some NOS versions against a pair of Psvane KT-88s! 
popcorn.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #173 of 1,441
LingLing1337,

Thanks for the tube impressions.

I have a few tubes on the way and some more goodies, that will be waiting for me when I get back home from work in 2 weeks.

I scored a pair of Amperex 7316's for a song, because they were mislabelled in the auction as 7313's (I hope they test strong and are as tightly matched as the seller claimed). A quad of Sylvania 5963's with gold pins (claimed to be tested at NOS levels). A smoking deal on a pair of Genelex smoked glass KT66's (same date code, and claimed tested at 90%) with a broken key way though (octal tube replacement key way adapter ordered to assure proper orientation in my amp). A 5A Staco Variac to make my Maxi-Tester reading consistent. A mint looking Hickok 533A from the original owner is also enroute, to help compare to ebay sellers tube readings.

Effusion,

The allure of vinyl has taken hold of me again... I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Schiit Mani preamp (maybe the Elekit TU-8500 is in the future...   http://www.vkmusic.ca/TU-8500.htm), and a whole whack of LP's and 12" and 7" singles.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #174 of 1,441
Psvane KT-88 MKII  is one of the best KT88 tubes in the market.  
TU-500 is designed to match TU-8200
TU-8500 can use 12AT7 , 12AU7, ECC802,6201 and  GE 5965A (stock tube).
12AT7 has the lowest impedance with TU-8500
This is the review from Doctor John
http://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.ca/2015/03/review-elekit-tu-8500-full-function_19.html
I recommend to replace the stock OP-AMP NJR2068  with TI OPA 2227P

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #176 of 1,441
For a while I've been meaning to let  everyone know why I think when I changed my stock 12AU7's out for another pair, the improvement in sound was so dramatic. I tested the stock 12AU7's at apprx 2200/2200 and 2200/1600 Gm's. The 12AU7 triodes on the right channel's weren't even close to matching one another. None of my other 12AU7 family of tubes have triodes this far off from each other. I could be wrong, but that difference sticks out at me like a sore thumb.

Any input would be welcome.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #177 of 1,441
JK-47,

Sounds like you got some really great deals!  Let me know what you think of those KT-66s; no worries, seems like quite a few of the KT series, as well as just about every type that has a large pin (many are hollow), are also missing the guide pin because it snapped off at one time.  Just make sure you line everything up when installing the replacement adapter; if you want to make it permanent you can also use a heat resistant silicone sealant, preferably one that adheres to plastics well.  Just make sure you file down the contact pieces so they made a good adhesion, especially the adapter as they are usually very smooth.

Nice purchase on the Hickok, I think you'll like that model.  What ultimately helped me decide was figuring that it would do everything I really need it to, with some added cool factors like the listening test/headphones, etc., all at a smaller footprint than some of the higher end, and priced models.  Even though it is still a little heavy, I feel comfortable enough to be fairly mobile with it when needed.

Glad to hear about the vinyl re-surge!  There is just something about that sound...
happy_face1.gif

I'm currently using a Monolithic Sound preamp and battery supply unit that is fed by my 1200.  The only real reason I'm using this unit is that it allows one to tweak the loading of the cartridge, among a few other things.  I've found that certain settings drastically changed the sound, even more than most tube changes, and ultimately decided on the following; 44db, 1k ohms, and 270pf for my Denon DL160.  Every cartridge and stylus is different, but the crazy thing was that at the most common default setting, that is used by most preamps, my Denon sounded the worst!!

It all depends on the cartridge you're using, but for what's it's worth, there are some companies out there allowing this and more tweaks from the preamp unit.  A few off the top of my mind are units by Musical Surroundings and Fletcher-Haynes Audio; these units allow much more fine tuning of these adjustments than the Monolithic Sound.  I do believe that you can adjust this simply by putting different components in the path, however I'm far to much of a layperson on topic to know how to really accomplish it.  I do remember seeing a few charts somewhere that listed major cartridges/stylus ideal load settings... now, if I just could remember where I found them, as I do remember that it was fairly accurate in regards to my Denon (I ended up slightly different, I believe mostly do to the Elekit as well as my own preferences).  The TU-8500 looks really cool, and I bet it sounds great!  Also being able to use similar tube types as one's amplifier, does help.  Definitely keeping it on my radar!

Keep letting us all know how the newly purchased types fair and how things continue to progress!

EDIT:  In regards to your wondering about the stock Chinese 12au7s, you could be right.  While we strive for matched pairs, many over the years have come to conclusions that it is much more important for each section of a tube to be of similar emission, than between tubes/channels.  I'm not an expert, but we could probably say that this definitely wasn't helping any, however either is the make and materials of the actual tube, which does make a difference.  I guess the only real way to tell is to get another pair, with which you can make at least 1 perfectly matched pair and then compare the sound with the off tube.  Could be at least an interesting experiment...

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #178 of 1,441
Got home late last night, and the tube rolling/testing started early this morning. Found a bunch of bad 6DJ8 tubes (for my Dad's Lyr 2). The Hickock 533A is near mint!!! Tested it with a 6L6 bogey tube, and it was dead on.

Started off with the input tubes

Amperex 7316: Exceptional soundstage and detail, with a slight bump in the lower mids. Very nice indeed, but very pricey ( I lucked out and got the pair for a song). I really like the "Amperex Sound". Very similar to my Amperex orange globes, but the 7316's do everything a little better (maybe not for triple the price though).

Sylvania 5963 gold pins: Decent soundstage (not as big as either of the Amperex's or the Philco 6189's), not a whole lot going on in the low range, they sound very analytical/dry and accurate (flat frequency response). Not really that much fun

Power tubes to be con't... just started listening to the NOS GEC KT66's, so far they are simply awesome!!! Nice controlled low end, with gorgeous mids. Very very smooth and detailed. One tested very good, the other was only good (I must find more of these !!!)

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #179 of 1,441
Power Tubes

NOS Genelex KT66: Buy them now, or I will. Start hoarding these treasures if you can afford to. A real treat to listen too, simply amazing. Spectacular detail, new layers of sound will smoothly and effortlessly be unleashed upon you if you choose to let these reside in the TU-8200's sockets. A perfect blend of GE 6L6GC (warm low and mid, and Philips 7581A (tight, punchy, and controlled). The only possible downside is if you really start to crank up the tunes and put power down, they start to get a little loose. The Philips 7581A's excel at being driven hard, really hard, but at the cost of lost warmth.

RCA 7581A: A relabeled GE 7581A (GE's etched dot code and font is clearly visible), basically a late 60's/ early 70's GE 6L6GC tall bottle from what I can tell. I prefer the earlier short bottle GE's, I find them slightly less bloated and more defined. Overall a super value if you can find them on the cheap...

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #180 of 1,441
Just a quick update on the Tube Manuals I purchased (1961 GE and 1975 Sylvania). I find the Sylvania to be more informative, not just because it's newer. It has a lot more info; European equivalent, Industrial equivalent, Aviation Equivalent, a table of contents to quickly find what page the tube in question is on, and a quick reference section as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back