Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
May 7, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #181 of 1,441
JK-47,

Glad to hear the Hickok tester is working for you, I really like that model for many reasons and it will allow you to better check the various types you end up purchasing.  I'll have to try to pick up a Sylvania manual in the near future as well, I do have an RCA, but I found the GE to be a bit better than it; thanks for the Sylvania suggestion!

As always, thanks again for all your tube impressions!  They are very helpful to others who are contemplating on branching out and away from the stock set.  You've also tried several variants that I have not had the pleasure of hearing yet, so they have been very helpful to me as I consider new/different types to try.  I'll admit though, I've slowed down quite a bit with my tube purchases as of late, but I'm getting that itch again! 
biggrin.gif

I agree, the NOS KT66s are simply amazing tubes, some of the best, if not the best, power tube I've tried in the Elekit thus far.  Deals can be found and several seem to popup from time to time, but they're not cheap; I haven't tried the NOS Genelex KT88s yet though, as they are said to be the very best, better than the KT66s.  The originals are just so rare and thus so very expensive... maybe one day I'll get lucky.

Keep us up to date on how things progress!

May 8, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #183 of 1,441
I ended up not getting the Elekit TU-8500 preamp. I contacted Elekit, asking them for specs on the phono portion (specifically the capacitance). They responded by asking why I needed to know, and that they wouldn't disclose the specs for the phono portion. I told them my cartridge required a capacitance of 150-300pF and I was interested in purchasing the TU-8500, but would not if I didn't know the capacitance. They would only tell me that the TU-8500 would not be recommended for any cartridge with those requirements. I was some what disappointed by the whole email exchange. I ended up buying a Pro-Ject Tube Box S phono preamp, and it has 12AX7 tubes to roll!!! I will pick it up when I get off work in 10 days.

I sent the Hickok 533A to Roger Kennedy for a Refurb/Calibration, as the power tubes were reading OK, but any 9 pin tube would read really high.

May 9, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #185 of 1,441
Oh well, it doesn't really bother me too much. The TU-8500 is more of a preamp with multi-inputs (which I don't really need). A phono preamp with more adjustments is what I really need, to be able to tune to any future cartridge upgrades...

There wasn't an issue with the language barrier, and Elekit was polite about everything. I have been to Japan many times in the last 15 years and my best friend lives there. It's just a different culture, and everything isn't always clearly defined... So no hard feelings.

Let us know how the PSvane KT88's sound when you get them.

I came across an interesting review of our TU-8200, and the fellow takes multiple measurements during his lengthly detailed review. The Elekit holds its own, and actually beats a McIntosh MC275 in one test!!! One interesting result was the level of distortion was lower when the amp was set to the 4ohm output setting and run to a 8ohm speaker vs the 8ohm setting to a 8ohm speaker!!! Very very fascinating  ...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/elekit/tu-8200.htm

May 10, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #187 of 1,441
Actually it's compared to the MC275...
wink_face.gif

May 11, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #189 of 1,441
Actually, poindexter, its compared to both

Touche ,lol...you almost got me there
, but it appears you have also made the same oversite, Pointdexter :wink:

May 14, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #191 of 1,441
It seems hard enough to find anyone who has taken the time to build one of these world class amps, let alone compare it to many other amps. But if someone wants to send me a Leben I'd be happy to do a comparo :)

May 15, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #192 of 1,441
Hmm, I might have to take the HD800s, Ethers and HE10000s 'round to the Elekit factory sometime.

May 15, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #193 of 1,441
Hmm, I might have to take the HD800s, Ethers and HE10000s 'round to the Elekit factory sometime.

Wow, that's quite the All Star line up
gs1000.gif

May 16, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #194 of 1,441
Psvane kt88s arrived in the next city over today, gotta wait til Monday to get them! I wouldnt call my power tubes the "bottleneck" (get it?) in my system but the Mullards are definitely the lowest grade equipment in the signal path.

May 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #195 of 1,441
Psvane kt88s arrived in the next city over today, gotta wait til Monday to get them! I wouldnt call my power tubes the "bottleneck" (get it?) in my system but the Mullards are definitely the lowest grade equipment in the signal path.

I'm eager to hear your take on the New Tubes...
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back