Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #1,070 of 1,441
I spoke too soon, I already lost the right channel again with red led. Voltage not passing through Q4. This was with a new set of 6L6 output tubes. So, today I replaced Q4 again along with Q6. I also replaced D4, ZD2, ZD4, Q2, PC2, C3, C4, C5 & C6. I installed a new set of input and output tubes and hooked to a different set of speakers. I powered up the amp and the led was blue again. I played it for about 15 minutes and checked the output tubes temperature with a laser thermometer. The left channel was around 330 degrees Fahrenheit and the right channel was about 450 degrees Fahrenheit. I turned it off. Obviously the right channel is drawing too much current. After a cooling period I powered on the amp again and red led again and dead right channel. I guessing there is issue with the auto bias circuit. Could it be the op amp? Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 29, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,076 of 1,441
we can whatsapp's

I've not seen such a helpful amp representative. Thanks Victor. You're a gem to this community.

This is my first post here because today I brought home a Elekit 8200, bought a mint condition unit from the local classified. Seller was ultra friendly and helpful in explaining to me the functions of the amp. I got it home and started listening with my favourite headphones, He1000se and LCD-3f.

It is an amazing tone with Psvane 12au7 and Genalex Gold Lion KT88. Side by side with WA22. The latter is warmer and smoother while the 8200 is brighter with those tubes but at no time did I feel it is glaring or sibilant. In fact it is a great tone with LCD-3f. I love it and dare say even at this early stage, more than the Wa22.

Will try it out with my speakers later but for now will roll in the Electro-harmonix 6L6GC and Sylvania 12au7 for a change.

IMG_1775.jpg

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,077 of 1,441
Stock tubes of EH 6L6GC and Psvane 12au7. Sound is now warmer and very nice. KT88 is more forceful and a more aggressive tone. I'm using Bifrost 2 as dac.

There's a bit of throbbing from the right driver, it's audible but when I place my finger on the metal plate in front of it, it disappears. Beautiful tone !!! I have been through a lot of tube amps but this is a bargain and might be the best sound I have heard so far.

Previous and current tube amps:- Feliks Elise, Euforia, La Figaro 339i, Glenn OTL amp, ALO Studio Six, Ultrasonic Studio Oblivion, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Woo Audio Wa22.

Staggering value this Elekit 8200 and I've just started listening to it. Having gone through so many tube amps, I can pick out which sound good, well to my ears. That's the disclaimer.

6L6GC is on socket saver and that raise the height. I can see the days ahead will be very engrossed with tube rolling. :wink:

IMG_1776.jpg

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,078 of 1,441
If headphones wow me with the Elekit 8200, speakers even more. I'm using Axis LS88 floor standers rated at 150w RMS and 4 ohms 92db sensitivities. Usually I use my Sansui au alpha 907mr at 160w to drive these speakers or my Redgum Rgi120enr black series that can output 265w into 4ohms. Now I'm using Elekit 8200 in triode mode 4w, set to 4 ohms and it's driving the Axis LS88 to astounding levels - loud. Bass is really good.

With the Boston Acoustics VR-2, it's a no brainer for 8200 to drive it. BA is 8 ohms 93 dB. Drive it to it's peak. Bass is thumping and clarity and details abound.

Some pictures and my puppy is enjoying it.

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1779 (1).jpg

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #1,079 of 1,441
There's a bit of throbbing from the right driver, it's audible but when I place my finger on the metal plate in front of it, it disappears.

I've now move the amp further away from the dac and the noise disappeared. Happiness. :) I can't believe how good this amp sound with either KT88 or 6L6GC with Psvane or Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7.

I'm making plans to get GEC KT66, Mullard EL34 xf2 next.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #1,080 of 1,441
I recommend you to replace the driver tube to Psavne Mark II 12Au7 or Brima 12AU7/ECC82. I like EH6L6GC..

That's the combination I'm digging now. Psvane 12au7 with EH 6L6GC. Very good combination. Slight warm and organic. Gold Lion KT88 is more aggressive but also fun and punchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back