Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #1,022 of 1,441
Got some genelex gold lion kt66's and some tungsram hungary 12au7s, and they sounded pretty dang good, I thought I was finally done with tubes for a while... at least until one of the tungsrams started crackling and making loud POP noises, it's definitely a dud. Great, more waiting... nos tubes are such a pain in the ass, should have just gotten some psvane 12au7's....

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #1,023 of 1,441
Got some genelex gold lion kt66's and some tungsram hungary 12au7s, and they sounded pretty dang good, I thought I was finally done with tubes for a while... at least until one of the tungsrams started crackling and making loud POP noises, it's definitely a dud and I'm surprised it got past testing. I've been ordering through Viva Tubes and I think they are a dud too, still haven't gotten the refund from my last pair of 12au7's that sounded like crap and now they send me an obviously troubled tube. Great, more waiting... nos tubes are such a pain in the ass, should have just gotten some psvane 12au7's....
I'd agree with you, the Psvane 12AU7-Ts in my TU8500 preamp are knockout and astonishingly transparent from top to bottom. I was listening to that preamp nearly all day yesterday while working on rebuilding a Marantz Model 1030, the preamp was running through a just finished Luxman SQ507X amplifier that has been completely re-capped and I was running in the refurbished power amp modules (new driver transistors too), running into a pair of old Pioneer CS-100 speakers, it all sounded amazingly alive and transparent and full of rhythmic fun.
Although I have a couple of other tubes to use in the TU 8500, I doubt very much I could improve upon the sonic balance of the Psvanes' virtual 'no-tubes in the way' of the music.
I have much more saving to come yet before I can get myself and TU 8200 or similar.

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #1,025 of 1,441
Revised TU-8200R will be displayed in AXPONA 2019
The revised TU-8200 will set another new standard for low cost SET AMP.
Please stay tuned .. Another wonderful design from Mr Fujita (Master of Tube Amp in Japan)

Stereophile Review - TU-8600
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-27-elekit-tu-8600r-amplifier-kit
I should have waited. I just purchased a TU-8200DX kit a few months ago.

Do you know if the current TU-8200 will be upgradeable to the TU-8200R?

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #1,027 of 1,441
Faith in nos tubes restored, the tungsrams are pretty legit. Good all around and not painful like the clear tops. I think I'm done rolling for a while thankfully, might even cop a few more pairs in the future!

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #1,028 of 1,441
IMG-8192.jpg

This is the New TU-8200R. PCB-Unit 2.
Better protection circuit to prevent malfunction when Tube Rolling
Lundhal option is possible in the near future

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #1,033 of 1,441
There is an upgrade kit to replace Unit 1 and 2. (the power transformer and OPT are the same for both versions)
The ALPS R27 is an option. For sure the R27 is better than the stock volume pot.
Also I am working with Lundahl to design an opt for TU-8200 .
The upgrade kit is affordable for everyone.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #1,034 of 1,441
There is an upgrade kit to replace Unit 1 and 2. (the power transformer and OPT are the same for both versions)
The ALPS R27 is an option. For sure the R27 is better than the stock volume pot.
Also I am working with Lundahl to design an opt for TU-8200 .
The upgrade kit is affordable for everyone.
Hello, Victor, might there also be any upgrades for my TU8500 preamp? Say, an Alps volume pot, for instance? I pre-bought both the Amtrans resistor kit, upgrade op-amps for the phono stage and Mundorf Evo caps for the phono coupling stage before buying the kit, so that I had everything there - unfortunately at the time not realising I also needed two quality caps for the line stage, so I used the Mundorfs in the line stage and two other very nice polypropylene caps for the phono coupling. Replacing the stock 12AU7s with two top level Psvane 12AU7-Ts have transformed the preamp from an already wonderful preamp into an even greater level of neutral transparency that I've not heard from anything even remotely approaching the price of the TU8500 with it's upgrades. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit and I'm looking forward to the TU8200R in the near future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back