Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Jan 28, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #1,006 of 1,441
I ended up going with the Zu Omen MkII's as well -- so far they're an amazing pairing with this amp! Really floored by how much oomph they can put out with just 4W of triode power, and the forward sound signature balances well with the tube warmth from the amp.

I also talked myself into a pair of NOS GE 6L6GC's while they're still available... huge improvement over the stock tubes! I already have the itch to roll more (thinking I may try the Winged-C EL34's next) but I need to get my preamp situation figured out first. Still thinking a DIY solution is best for my needs since I can't afford something like the ModWright.

On that note I had a couple of questions for anyone on the board who's still paying attention:

1) I'm trying to find the input impedance spec for the Elekit. The volume control I plan to use in my DIY preamp (Joshua Tree attenuator) has a fixed low output impedance of 750R... wondering if that is suitable to drive the Elekit passively or if I would need to add an active tube buffer stage in between?

2) Once I get the attenuator preamp working my plan is to remove the volume pot from the Elekit completely since I won't need it. Has anyone done this before? I assume it would just be a matter of desoldering it and adding either fixed resistors or wire jumpers across the 2 signal paths, but are there any gotchas I should look out for?

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,007 of 1,441
Just got one of these used, sounds great! I thought my HD6XX sounded like crap, I was pretty settled on selling them once I got my next pair of headphones. This amp opens them up very well, and now they actually have nice bass! Sound stage is also better, they aren't in my ears quite as much. And I've noticed they are also less fatiguing, maybe due to the tubes? Can't wait until I get my zmf oris, they should sound incredible on this the power thirsty planars that they are. Still using my jds element for it's dac, so I'll have to look into a nice dac as well I suppose...

What kind of tubes are a general upgrade over the electro-harmonix russian 6L6EH and the 12AU7 "China"? I like their general sound, but if I could get an appreciable upgrade for all 4 tubes for around ~$200 that would be pretty neat! I do believe this is not the DX version of the amp, so I may be a little more limited in selection. I'll have to pour over all these pages, I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere

Tubes are pretty dang beautiful, I especially like the hints of blue!
I7UJg1c

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #1,008 of 1,441
I'm a newbie but have Sophia EL34, NOS RCA 12AU7

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #1,009 of 1,441
I'm gonna have to make a list, so many tubes! Research is fun though, I'm going to have to do a lot of digging to try to avoid spending all my money on tubes :joy:

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,010 of 1,441
I'm gonna have to make a list, so many tubes! Research is fun though, I'm going to have to do a lot of digging to try to avoid spending all my money on tubes :joy:
So far my favorite tube pairing is Tung-sol 6550s and Tungsram 6085s. I've had my TU-8200 for about a month so I have a long way to go roling tubes though.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #1,011 of 1,441

Unfortunately I find more research only leads me to spend more money on tubes. :innocent:

I'm still loving my NOS GE 6L6GC power tubes and have started rolling in Winged-C EL34's for variety. I want to try KT88's next, probably will go with the new Gold Lion's since there are so few affordable NOS options.

Currently looking into rolling the preamp tubes. My Gold Lion ECC82's sound good (and much better than the no-name "China's") but I want to see what I can get from NOS. It seems like clear-top RCA's and vintage Mullard's get a lot of love, but I'd be interested in hearing from others who have compared these and other NOS options! (I'm not yet quite up to the task of modding the amp to take more exotic driver tubes, but perhaps someday...)

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,012 of 1,441
Oof, I really should just get a decent pair of signal tubes for now, one of these chinese stock ones is hissing very slightly. I switched them, and the other side hisses so it must be them! A good number of posts have recommended the NOS RCA 12AU7, a little bit less than $30 for their higher rated ones. I just spent $360 for the amp, and another $550 for some new headphones so I really need to abstain for now.... this amp really brought out the 6XX, I can't imagine what some zmf ori's are going to sound like... I'm expecting some gnarly sub-bass for sure!

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #1,013 of 1,441
One of the stock tubes was a little hissy so I've been trying a few 12au7's, just some cheapies

First was a pair of RFT Germany 12AU7's, they sucked pretty bad, just muddled and boring. Sent them back, they were a clear downgrade from stock imo, they weren't expensive or anything but I expected more.

Just got some Clear Top RCA 12AU7A today off of eBay, so good so far. They are nicely detailed and tight, but somewhat bright. Keepers for sure and cheap to boot, but I might still look a little for something meatier that won't fatigue me as fast as these do.

The stock power tubes are good for now, power tubes seem to be pricier anyways and I need to cool the spending for a little bit before I try anything else

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #1,014 of 1,441
One of the stock tubes was a little hissy so I've been trying a few 12au7's, just some cheapies

First was a pair of RFT Germany 12AU7's, they sucked pretty bad, just muddled and boring. Sent them back, they were a clear downgrade from stock imo, they weren't expensive or anything but I expected more.

Just got some Clear Top RCA 12AU7A today off of eBay, so good so far. They are nicely detailed and tight, but somewhat bright. Keepers for sure and cheap to boot, but I might still look a little for something meatier that won't fatigue me as fast as these do.

The stock power tubes are good for now, power tubes seem to be pricier anyways and I need to cool the spending for a little bit before I try anything else
Hi there, I am using a matched pair of Psvane 12AU7-T's in my Elekit TU 8500 preamp, they are simply stunning! Utterly clean and neutral from top to bottom, with superb soundstage focus and vocal alacrity. They have no extra Mullard and stock Chinese 12AU7 warmth (although in saying that, the stock valves are an awful lot of fun to listen with, I had a ball while the preamp started it's run in process!), yet are musically dynamic and alive and extremely communicative. I won't be changing them out any time soon! I used to use these Psvane 12AU7-T's in my TRI TRV-88SE integrated amp and I'm very glad I kept them (the Psvane KT88-T's as well!)
I think and feel that the 12AU7-T's are quite the bargain, performing way better than some other expensive NOS valves I've heard.
While I know that the RCA Cleartops are also recommended for the TU 8500, I wouldn't want anything brighter to upset the superb balance I have now. That phono stage is a cracker, too! I have Mundorf cap upgrades, Amtrans resistor kit and the upgrade op-amps in my preamp.
Maybe you might like the Psvane 12AU7-T's too.

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #1,015 of 1,441
I'll get 35$ of store credit from the pair of tubes I'm returning so I'll probably get some nos tungsrams next, they are right on the money at $35. The store doesn't have psvane tubes unfortunately, but if the tungsrams don't work out they seem to be a good option.

I've certainly heard good things about psvane, they seem to better than most of the new tubes coming from china and russia for sure. Most new tubes these days are just mediocre tubes with older reputable names slapped on, without bringing the same quality.

Mar 16, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #1,016 of 1,441
I'll get 35$ of store credit from the pair of tubes I'm returning so I'll probably get some nos tungsrams next, they are right on the money at $35. The store doesn't have psvane tubes unfortunately, but if the tungsrams don't work out they seem to be a good option.

I've certainly heard good things about psvane, they seem to better than most of the new tubes coming from china and russia for sure. Most new tubes these days are just mediocre tubes with older reputable names slapped on, without bringing the same quality.
I've had nothing but great quality of build and sound from the Psvane tubes. I bought them from Grant Fidelity and had excellent service every time. The KT88-T's I am keeping for my next project, likely an Elekit tube amp. The Elekit TU 8500 is the finest quality kit I've come across in 45 years! Even with the instructions in Japanese :)

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,020 of 1,441
Yes..what does it do ??

Whats the diff between up position and down ?
It switches between the two sets of red/white rca ports in the back. So if you had like a computer and a record player you could plug them both in and use that switch to switch which one the amp uses as a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back