Electrostatic headphones
Sep 22, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleheadMay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes me want to think twice about the KGSS, boomy bass is not at all to my taste.

Since you have a very specific sound you are looking for, you will simply have to try these things out and see. Judging a product based on people's opinions (especially when it comes to bass, which is probably the most opinionated of the bunch) is not so good since it can lead to the wrong conclusions.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #50 of 54
As I experienced myself yesterday night, a lot depends on the music you're playing too.
I listened to Ars Arcana: The Savage Tongue yesterday.
While I usually prefer my HD800's and value them for their clarity, they just didn't seem to do this album justice.
They did nothing wrong, it's more what they couldn't do: bring life into this music.
Playing something like Rob Wasserman's Duets makes me take out the HD800 since these bring out the detail that just has to be heard on a CD like this.
The D7000 on the other hand made the experience much more intimate, more musical and enjoyable. I played the CD twice over with them.
The HD650 simply couldn't cope with this music, it was too much for it.
I wouldn't really say the bass was distorted, rather it tried hard to give me bass that it couldn't handle. The kind of bass that I refer to as boomy, blooming, muddy.

I think the Stax will be a wise choice, as they seem to have characteristics I value in both the HD800 and D7000, from what I learned from this thread.
I must thank you all for the many replies and the very helpful info.
I will certainly audition them at a dealer, and probably order them in the US.

Has anybody heard a 727II amp yet? Or had a chance to compare it with the KGSS?
And I believe the KGSS DX is a special version of a previous KGSS, not the current one?

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:
awesome bump

and what are the best vintage electrets?

For the sound, Aurex (Toshiba) HR-V9 is the best. It has a high resolution and electretsly soft sound, although the impedance is 4,000 ohm.
confused_face.gif

and for the design, I love Trio (Kenwood) KH-800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back