Electrostatic headphones
Sep 20, 2009 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

AppleheadMay

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I read electrostats should be great for classical/opera.

Are there other brands than Stax that are commercially available in Europe, because I really need to hear them first before I take that expensive route.
So I don't mean vintage Senns that cost a car and stuff like that.

If not, I'd go listening to a Stax SR-007, which I suppose is the same as an Omega2?
I choose the top model, because if I like it I want it to be a keeper instead of upgrading later on.
Since I want a SS amp to go with that, it would be the SRM-727, but I read that Stax amps are not that good.
Are there any other high quality SS amps that work with electrostats?

I searched the forum, but couldn't really find the info I'm after.
Usually there is a referral to the stax thread, but that one is 700+ pages
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 54
i actually prefer the HE60 for classical over the O2. i think the O2 is better for rock. i think the Jade sounds very good too and is a stat to consider.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 54
I wouldn't fart around with the mid range Stax, & just end the upgraditus.. There's also the HE60/HE90, depending on funding. But the higher end electro's can't be beat for speed, intricate seperation of strings, clarity, & life like, effortless, natural presentation.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 54
Thank you for your answers.

I read about the HE60, but understood it's no longer sold anymore?
Can these be easily found second hand?
The HE90 is out of my league
wink_face.gif

I found one thread about the HE Audio Jade, but can't seem to find it on the net.
Is there a website for HE audio?
I wonder if these would be available in Europe.

And with both of those, what SS amp should I use?
I know the HE60 usually comes with an amp, but I believe it was considered it's weak point.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 54
Can you possibly make it to the UK meet in November? I'd be happy to talk to you about the O2 and let you listen to my O2 rig (even though I'm not an opera guy).

If not, then I'll have to do all the typing out to post here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 54
if you are big with classical and opera, i would hunt down an HE60/HEV70 combo. the HE60 is my favorite headphone for this genre. there are better amps out there for the HE60 but the HEV70 is not as deficient as some threads suggest. i actually think it is more than capable to drive the HE60.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 54
vcoheda:
In brief, how would you compare the HE60 to the HD800?
What other amps are there for the HE60, SS I mean?
And I found two of the combos already:
New I guess
Second Hand
Is the HE60 still in production btw?

Duggeh:
Thank you for the invite, but I'm afraid I will have too much on my plate in november, having our store repainted during the weekends and my new cat arrives beginning november, for which we take a week off. After that it's double the work ...
I didn't even know there were meets in Europe too, but would love to join one later, if it's not too far.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 54
There is no going wrong with the 007's. They have far more bass extension and control than the he60's, the he60's are sweeter (colored) while the o2's are neutrally transparent. I can understand vcoheda since the sweet sound pairs well with the genre, however, the o2's are imo better for any genre, plus they are readily available.

For a non-stax amp, I would recommend the Woo GES, tubes benefit classical. You could also look at the headroom kgss. Both are around 2k.

Simply put, the o2's are imo the top top of the headphone world, good luck

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 54
Thank you for all the fast replies all.

Tough choice I see.
The Senn combo is a lot cheaper, so a nice entry in electrostatics.
I'm a bit afraid of the "sweeter" description though, since I associate it with warmer, which for me means rolled off bass, a bit muddy.
I'd rather have a little less bass than muddy bass.
I like my sound clear, revealing, tight, fast, detailed, spacious, ...
That's how I would describe my HD800.

How would you compare the Stax to the HD800 GuyDeBord?

And as I see, the price of the Stax amp matches the headamp KGSS.
Would you recommend the KGSS over the Stax SS amp?
I don't want to start on tubes, so those would be my two choices if I go Stax, as far as I know.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleheadMay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vcoheda:
In brief, how would you compare the HE60 to the HD800?
What other amps are there for the HE60, SS I mean?
And I found two of the combos already:
New I guess
Second Hand
Is the HE60 still in production btw?

I have the HD800 and HE60.

I will echo Vcoheda's comments.
I simply love the way Sennheiser's reproduce classical music. The stax O2 is a little too bass heavy for my tastes (some love this though!). The HE60 / HEV70 combo does classical music wonderfully.

They are not made anymore, sadly.

In a nut shell, the HE60 has a more personal listening experience with a smoother sound, as well as being slightly darker. They disappear when I listen to them. They are never sibilant, which is a joy when it comes to vocals! The HD800 is more technical, and is a wonderful experience to hear the absolute detail. The HD800 have a spike in the frequency response range, making them sibilant at times with vocals. The HD800 have a wider sound presentation.

I love them both. My HE60 + HEV70 cost less than my HD800 + GS-1. (A good 300-500$ less). A HE60 + other amp would cost more though.

If I could be so rude, I would say the HD800 typifies Solid State, and the HE60 typifies a tube sound. They both serve a purpose.

You have the stax amps, and another popular amp builder for electrostatics is both HeadAmp and WooAudio, both US based amp builders.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck finding a wonderful headphone!
~Drew

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleheadMay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my sound clear, revealing, tight, fast, detailed, spacious, ...
That's how I would describe my HD800.

In those respects, I don't think you can get better than the HD800..............
normal_smile .gif

Pretty much all of the top of the line electrostatics I have heard have a smoother sound than the HD800, but in terms of technical detail and spaciousness, I have yet to hear anything that I would say is a clear improvement over the HD800.
My personal opinion, of course.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 54
Hi Drew,

Yes your first post was very helpfull, it explained the differences to me with things I can relate to.
And I did experience the sibilance in the HD800 this afternoon with some female vocals. The HD800 is not perfect to my ears neither, it can be too analytical at times. In Joss Stone's Tell Me 'Bout It, there is a noise throughout parts of the song when I played it from my harddisk that made me take the CD to see if anything went wrong during ripping. But at other times it lets me hear instruments so clearly separated, which I love very much.

Your second post convinced me of doing what I already had in mind.
Go listen to an electrostat (Stax, since there are no HD60's at the dealers anymore) and bring my HD800 to see if I think the Stax lives up to my expectations. To see if the Stax can give me another kind of experience, or if I don't find it any match for the HD800.

The only problem is: there is a nice HD60 for sale with European adaptor atm. Take this opportunity or let it go by? ... Headphones, headaches ...
wink_face.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 54
I have some strong opinions to post here, but at this time, am far too tired and drunk to write them up. I'll come back tomo.

Short surmise though would be that the HE60 is a superb headphone, but that the O2 is the better of the two.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some strong opinions to post here, but at this time, am far too tired and drunk to write them up. I'll come back tomo.

On that note, and since it's already one hour later here, I think I'll light me a quick robusto to go with a cognac and head for bed afterwards.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back