Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #4,546 of 6,987
LOL BIG MINI MIX COMING!

I have to rehearse it a little more though cuz it requires some timing that I haven't quite gotten down yet. 

I'll link it as soon as it's recorded and uploaded. 

LOL Oh man. Drum and bass lovers will be in for a treat. It won't be more than 10 minutes long I don't think. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4,547 of 6,987

Not sure if this has been discussed. Release date April 8th

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #4,551 of 6,987
One of the coolest things I've heard in my life: http://danimalcannon.bandcamp.com/album/parallel-processing

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4,552 of 6,987
Quote:
One of the coolest things I've heard in my life: http://danimalcannon.bandcamp.com/album/parallel-processing

That album is very interesting, I feel like it would get annoying after a while though. Kind of like when artists drop nothing but trap in their mixes. I say that because I was watching UMF's live stream on youtube earlier and I felt like that was the only kind of music I was hearing haha.

Anyways, here are a couple tracks I've been digging this week:

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #4,553 of 6,987

Really not a chip tunes fan myself (a little Mega Man music never hurt anyone) but this song is absolutely some chip tunes I could listen to all day. It's fantastic.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #4,554 of 6,987
Quote:
That album is very interesting, I feel like it would get annoying after a while though. Kind of like when artists drop nothing but trap in their mixes. I say that because I was watching UMF's live stream on youtube earlier and I felt like that was the only kind of music I was hearing haha.

Chiptune certainly is an… acquired taste, shall we say; a niche audience for sure. I grew up with the original Gameboy and its successors so I could easily listen to bleeps and bloops all day. Funny, since my ears are typically really sensitive to dynamic compression, but the low dynamic range of 1-8 bit music doesn't bother me in the least.

Talking of bleeps and bloops, here's a piece from Kyohei Akagawa who is one of my go-to artists when it comes to peculiar sounds as part of modern electronic music.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #4,555 of 6,987
Sorry my posts have been nothing but my own excitedness over my own mini mix (and ensuing promo) niether of which have been fully rehearsed. The mini mix in particular only takes 10 minutes, but I got a lot of quick mixing to do for that one, and every time I record it, I mess it up. But if I don't record it, it's flawless.... ugh

Well anyways, as I'm sure many of you are already well aware, UMF happened this weekend in Miami. I watched the livestream for HOURS yesterday just waiting for Sub Focus. Ended up he didn't come on the live stream til 9:35pm EST or something, and I needed to sleep for a new shift, so I missed it. But it's no huge loss, I can just download it anyways. 

Well I caught Rusko's set. I wish I had the effort to quote myself from a while back in the thread when I said how many times I've seen Rusko in the past, and that he's actually a really amazing DJ. I've missed seeing him a few times over the last bunch of months, for the soul reason that I haven't really cared much for dubstep at all, but I will always tell people who do like dubstep that he's one of the best dubstep DJs and knows how to mix a proper party. He's an entertainer, as well as a performer, so it's always a great show.

Let me say, Rusko threw down some really nice liquid dnb when I locked into the livestream. Took me by surprise. Like VERY surprised. Didn't expect him to put down so much 170+ bpm that WASN'T drumstep. Many of the dnb tracks were new Rusko releases forthcoming, so it's safe to say I'll be more interested in seeing him next time he comes to town. 

Also caught Tiestos set..... What's the appeal in Trance? There's so much build up, and it keeps going, building up, and up, and up, then 'drops' (no bassline) away to some vocals and melody for another build up and up, and up.... and then drop.... Which doesn't even have the same energy as the build up, and only lasts for 8 bars.... Then white noise, and synths from 1999.... That's Tiesto's UMF set in a nutshell. I'm sure there's a download of it somewhere, but really, unless trance is your thing, I'm pretty confident you'll want some basslines and drum tracks for more than 8 bars

Oh, and this track was in Rusko's set. Again, I'm not the biggest fan of trap, but the bird whistles are just so darn catchy. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba_PFU81zFU

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #4,556 of 6,987
I somehow agree with You on modern trance. The stuff to me sounds the same it did when Spice Girls were the thing. Tiesto and van Buuren both. Not to say there aren't others. Edit: This paragraph was dumb, I apologize. of course there are newer and much better acts. I just expressed my own disappointment in these two.

I'd like some tasty trance from time to time. Apothecary, you needn't worry about anything. This is a perfect place to share the enthusiasm and mixes.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #4,557 of 6,987
Bandcamp is an interesting place… Check out track two; dubstep done on a NES! (It's free as well.)

http://chibitech.bandcamp.com/album/moe-moe-kyunstep

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #4,559 of 6,987
I'll be recording my set tonight, I think I'll just call this my promo mix... It's gonna be mostly rehearsed/planned out unlike my last set.

This is only because it's my first time playing a 11-12 slot, so I wanna impress. I'm gonna do what the 11-12 slot should do and build intensity through out the mix, and let the 'headliner' (in this case another local who's got much more experience than I) slay it. I hope to someday play the closing slot, which imo should be no holds barred givin'er to the late night dance crew.

Still, I've been keeping up with new tunes, so this set will be mostly current drum and bass from the last 18 months. I'm gonna try to keep it all current, but I have some dirty tricks to pull out that go back to the golden era of dnb. Should be fun. 

Still gotta make a mini mix though. But to be honest, it's part of a contest so I don't know if I'll post it here, but it's gonna take some work, and lots of fun to cater the mini mix for the particular contest.

Honestly, anyone here who doesn't DJ, do yourself a favour, and save up for the gear (you probably have enough headphones :wink: lol). I never intended to play out, but after a while it was kind of an itch to want to hear my own set on a big system. It's satisfying, but I still am not in it for recognition. It's just REALLY FUN. I don't even own decks and a mixer, I use a Traktor Kontrol S4. It's ~$1000 and comes with the Traktor 2.6 software, the controller itself has 4 decks, effects, and built in soundcard (I've been meaning to find out the specs of it, but I haven't cared enough to be honest, it's professional grade sound, so I'll go with that). The software gives you ability to map the mixer, record your sets, auto-adjust gain etc. It makes beatmatching really easy. If you intend to DJ purely for the hobby, it's a great starter kit. I intend on getting a 3 deck set up in the near future, but at the time of wanting to start DJing myself (instead of flailing on my friend's decks, and libraries), I decided this was a great way to get the hang of 'the mix'. Oh and money. $1000 got me 4 decks, software, an effects board, and soundcard. My upgrade will be ~$5000. I hope less. 

Anyways. This has nothing to do with music...lol soooooo...

Here's a fresh one, came out yesterday, will be in my set tonight. 

Another one form Cern, well, at least a collab WITH Cern.

And this is a sweet liquid track I've been vibing lately

Users who are viewing this thread

Back