Electronic Drums with a catch... Appreciate help with Headphone / Amp selection
Jan 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

oscillation

New Head-Fier
Hi.  I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 555's I've always found to be more than serviceable.  I recently purchased a Roland TD 11 electronic drumkit (not my first electric set) and I'm having issues....   The volume output on the drums through my cans I'm finding to be inadequate.   Whats more, when I bring the volume to the point of being acceptable there is very loud and noticeable distortion on the low end in the form of clipping through my headphones.   I've researched this a little bit.  I was completely ignorant of how impedance will impact volume.  I've since tried a set of Beyerdynamic 770 pro 80 ohm, and while the clipping was no longer present at the low frequencies, there still seemed to be some present at mid frequencies and volume is still not there.    I've tried some cheap sony earbuds and while sounding poor in general there is no noticeable clipping and the volume does get to a useful level, the problem is there is essentially no bass.   Can anybody recommend an over the ear headphone or over the ear/ amp combo that would bail me out?   There are only a few requirements.  Ideally there would be some noise isolation (preferably not active) OR enough volume to overcome the sound of sticks hitting rubber/plastic.  They would be comfortable, over the ear.  The total of the solution i would like to keep under 400.  Thanks for your time.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 2
Heya,

Keep the DT770's. Get a simple little amplifier. It sounds like the output of the set you're using either has high impedance output, or like no voltage/current output, essentially weaker than a basic ipod it seems. You can output from your set to a little amplifier and plug your headphones into that. Look into a Fiio E9, Schiit Magni.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back