Electro Heads: Best 'Phone? Looking at W5000, AD2000, SA5000, more...
Apr 7, 2007 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ionblastoid

New Head-Fier
Hello, Head-Fi community! I have been an avid reader for a while, but this is my first post. I hope you will receive me kindly
basshead.gif

I am looking to get a top of the line headphone but I want to get one that is best suited for electronic music, including House, Trance and Synth-pop. I am very interested in a headphone with deep, textured bass.

A month ago, I bought the Ultrasone HFI-700 and I think the sound is incredible but I want to leave these phones at work and step it up another notch and get an even better pair for home listening.

I have been reading through many threads and I think I'm currently trying to choose between the Sony SA5000, Audio-Technica W5000 and Audio-Technica AD2000. My interest has also been piqued by the A900 and AKG K701.

I have no idea which to buy! Open/closed is not an issue, either will work for me at home. I just want to get a well respected, near top of the line headphone that will be completely banging for electronic music. I'm REALLY into the bass but don't want to compromise the overall quality of the headphone just to get something with good bass. I want an overall awesome headphone that just might excel in the electro department.

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions. Most of the time, I will run the headphone directly out of the 1/8" jack on my Powermac. I don't quite understand amps yet and want to save that upgrade for the future. my Ultrasone HFI-700 sounds unbelievable right out of the computer. And WAY loud enough.

I was also looking at the Ultrasone Proline models, but I feel like I don't want something that similar to what I just got.

Let me know if you need any more info. Of the models I listed above, which do you think would be the best for me? I would love to keep the purchase in the sub-$500 realm, but if i just have to, I would probably be willing to pay the $700 - $800 for those Audio-Technica models.

Help me out!

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 32
Hey ion, welcome to Head-Fi sorry about your wallet. Anyways, of the hps you suggested alot of people feel that the SA5000 does electro, trance fantastically, although it seems to be a bit of a bright hp at times. The AD2000 however seems to get top marks across the board. I guess I would suggest the AD2000 with out a doubt.
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 32
You've got a lot of phones there with very different signatures.

I have the AD2000 and it's spectacular for that type of music (and an extremely solid choice as an 'all-around' phone also) -- it's signature is very airy and open which you'd have to experience to know if it's your thing. Some of the other phones you're considering, namely A900 which I also own--is closed and possesses a much bassier signature--but at the same time is nowhere *near* as refined or detailed as the AD2000.

I think amplification comes into play also. W5000 seems to be a phone people choose to use high-end amps (though I still haven't heard the W5000) with--A900 and AD2000 though from experience I could say you could get by OK without an amp. The other phones you mentioned outside of A900 and AD2000 also should be powered with a headphone amp.

So what type of signature you're after, plus if you're willing to invest in an amp are the obligatory questions people will request to help you make a decision. I suppose there's a clue in the fact that you like the Ultrasone signature--but as I haven't heard those headphones, I couldn't be of more assistance there.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 32
I'd shoot for ad2000, but the sa5000 can perform very well if given a good source/amp. Best impressions of them come from kubba who balanced them and uses them out of Benchmark DAC1. If such a type of expense is not feasible (DAC1 = $1000, SA5000 = $450, Balanced Recable = $220), then ad2000 is the way to go.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 32
I've been enjoying my AD2000's for months now, and am actually listening to the Flasbulb as I'm writing this. They're a fantastic headphone; intimate, detailed, and with a bass response that isn't aggressive in its presentation but sneaks up on you with it's low frequency extension and quietly punchy response. I have only used them through a modest system, and am still quite impressed, and think you would be as well, given your music preferences. They're also not overly expensive, coming in around 500USD from Pricejapan.com and even less if you're lucky enough to find one in the F/S forum.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey ion, welcome to Head-Fi sorry about your wallet. Anyways, of the hps you suggested alot of people feel that the SA5000 does electro, trance fantastically, although it seems to be a bit of a bright hp at times. The AD2000 however seems to get top marks across the board. I guess I would suggest the AD2000 with out a doubt.
wink.gif

That's pretty much my read on it. I'd definitely agree in terms of the SA5000 doing a great job with this type of music in an overall sense, but the tendency to be bright is a big distraction for me. The AD2000 provide an even greater sense of air and a mroe realistic bass response. The SA5000 have also have a very clean bass, but it's just not nearly as impactful relative to the AD2000 (or a bunch of other phones). To me, the SA5000 bass comes across as being clinical and doesn't really stir my emotions.

The W5000 will also do the trick with this kind of music, but I really like the AD2000's since they're so open and airy.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus Alphonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been enjoying my AD2000's for months now, and am actually listening to the Flasbulb as I'm writing this. They're a fantastic headphone; intimate, detailed, and with a bass response that isn't aggressive in its presentation but sneaks up on you with it's low frequency extension and quietly punchy response.

I agree with that too. Nice description of them in general and your bass comments in particular. It never owverpowers you and takes over but it's there when it needs to be in a very pleasant way. The way I like to describe the AD2000 bass is to say that it sounds natural yet lively, not overly aggressive, but not at all laid back.

When I get done listening to a CD with the AD2000, I always shake my head in total contentment and think, "I need to do that again, and soon!" They're smooth and inviting and never give me listening fatigue. I try not to be a "fan" of any headphones, but somehow keep coming back to these. At their price point, there is nothing out there that I like better.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 32
Perhaps consider the new Denon D5000s? I don't want to add complexity, but given the impressions of the sound posted in this thread maybe it will fit your needs as well.

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I get done listening to a CD with the AD2000, I always shake my head in total contentment and think, "I need to do that again, and soon!" They're smooth and inviting and never give me listening fatigue. I try not to be a "fan" of any headphones, but somehow keep coming back to these. At their price point, there is nothing out there that I like better.

Holy ****... This is coming from a guy who owns almost every headphone out there, guys!

Hmm... Maybe I should search some threads for info on the AD2000....

Hey Wayne, how do your AD2000 compare to the Ultrasone PROlines?

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

I am looking to get a top of the line headphone but I want to get one that is best suited for electronic music, including House, Trance and Synth-pop.

SA5000 it is then. I've heard/owned all of those headphones except AD2000 and out of the ones I've heard, SA5000 is definitely the best one for electronica. Fast, detailed and punchy sound. W5000 comes very close but purely for electronica, I'd still go for SA5000.

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read Asr's full review of the AD2000. It's thorough and well-written.

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202020

Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif
That *was* a very good review. However, I was a bit worried by the part about how "The genre it did least well with is rock, as to be expected - it just didn't give the transients and bite that make Grados so much better to use to listen to rock."

This is very important for me because some of my favorite music is rock. Time to search for more AD2000 info!

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ionblastoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the time, I will run the headphone directly out of the 1/8" jack on my Powermac.

Based on this, I suggest the AD2000. I think it performs better with a laptop's headphone out or with an iPod than the SA5000 or W5000.

I haven't heard the A900, but the A950LTD also did well directly from an iPod.

The AD2000 is one of my favorite headphones, the one that got me into the headphone listening hobby. I'm still not sure if that was fortunate.

I liked the Proline 2500 well enough, but don't think its as good as the HD650 or K701. And I prefer the AD2000+HA5000 over the HD650/K701+Raptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back