Electric Shaver
Jan 17, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #46 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
I use the Norelco T900 which apparently has been replaced with this model. Works well, runs forever and even runs corded should it run out when you need it. I've had it a couple of years now, use it weekly I guess and it still runs (and looks) as new. Think it listed around the same as the newer model, but I found it on-line for around $35...

THanks, that's just the kind of thing I need.

Jan 18, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #47 of 75
I had a phillips shaver , but since my beard grows fast enough
( well for me anyway :) then I always have to use the trimmer first if it is to long .

Well the trimmer broke midway in the process...can you imagine the feeling :frowning2:
Since then I have used razors :)

Jan 18, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #48 of 75
Quote:

Dang, I worked through that entire giant thread and didn't find a single recommendation for a dedicated beard trimmer!

What by definition is a dedicated beard trimmer? Is that the little pop-up thing on my shaver?

Jan 18, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #49 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
What by definition is a dedicated beard trimmer? Is that the little pop-up thing on my shaver?

A dedicated beard trimmer is just that... a full time implement that exceeds in fit & function the "afterthought" pop-up trimmers on most electric shavers. Of course you can't shave with it, but it's the best thing for trimming your beard/moustache... They usually have adjustable trim lengths which facilitate grooming your beard or moustache at different lengths, which "pop-up" trimmers do not...

Jan 18, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #50 of 75
Those things are good for trimming around your ears when the hair gets too long or on the upper sideburn where the stuff is pretty thick and rough.

Jan 18, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #51 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Those things are good for trimming around your ears when the hair gets too long or on the upper sideburn where the stuff is pretty thick and rough.

Yeah, or until you find the werewolf that bit you...
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #53 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
I use the Norelco T900 which apparently has been replaced with this model. Works well, runs forever and even runs corded should it run out when you need it. I've had it a couple of years now, use it weekly I guess and it still runs (and looks) as new. Think it listed around the same as the newer model, but I found it on-line for around $35...

Here are my problems with beard trimmers: they need to be oiled regularly, but then the oil causes the cut beard hairs to stick and then makes the trimmer hard to clean (and further slows down the trimeer.)

Jan 19, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #54 of 75
I'm on my second try on an electric razor. First time was 2 years with a cheap Remington my mother gave me for Christmas. It worked reasonably well but wasn't near close enough so I had to fall back to blades. I have been using Mach 3 (not Mach 3 Turbo, those don't shave close enough and cut my skin more) for a couple years and they work quite well but my main problem with blades is that no matter what I always get cuts every single time I shave. I have very thick facial hair and it grows very fast despite my young age. This time I am trying a low-end Norelco 6613X 3-head razor and it seems to be working pretty well so far even if I skip shaving for a day (which makes me look like I haven't shaved for 5 days). Not as close as a Mach 3 blade still, but much closer than the Remington I have and closer than most 2-blade razors. I have only had it less than a week but I have already noticed the results improving each day. I might just keep using this one since I haven't gotten cut by it yet and it actually does a better job on my chin than even a Mach 3. I think I can sacrifice a small amount of closeness for convenience and having no cuts.

Jan 19, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #55 of 75
I just ordered the Norelco Spectra 8894 XL. Should arrive within the week.

I'll be sure and let you know what I think about when it arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #56 of 75
mine philishave sensotec 8894 arrived last week..

i haven't shaved that smooth..perhaps "wet-shaving" is a better option..

you know, i've ordered mine 8894 in germany, it's price is 100 euro less than in the netherlands where those philishaves are being made....strange...

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #57 of 75
I've been happily using the Norelco/Phillishave 7825 XL for a bit over a year now. If I keep it cleaned and lubed it shaves remarkably close for an electric (certainly closer than I thought was possible!), so I definitely recommend regular cleanings/oilings. The only place that isn't as close as a conventional razor is the middle of my neck, but I deal for the amount of time saved with an electric.

Lou, I'm under the impression the only difference between my (7825 XL) and your shaver is in color, or am I mistaken?

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #58 of 75
I don't know what to do. The electrics I've tried don't what it takes to power through my facial hair, and the manuals leave my face looking like ground meat. When I'm shaving every other day with a Mach 3 my face and neck are continually scabbed over in the same spots, and the irritation is terrible.

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #60 of 75
SumB

i think you need a lotion...not alcohol...i have the same thing..
i also have sensitive skin..with my 8894 i have less irritation..and i use a lotion..i think the lotion is crucial..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back