ELE DAC Thread
Feb 22, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #78 of 151
Here is someone else RMAA result on Xonar DG: http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/asus-xonar-dg-audio-card/6/

Seems to behave well enough. Of course RMAA result from different measurement really ain't comparable, but it is an indication that your Xonar DG might not at its best during measurement while the card itself might be fine.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #79 of 151
I noticed that using the ELE DAC with my Xiaomi Piston makes them sound worse and there's a huge Hiss.

I wonder if it is the DAC impedance output + the low Xiaomi impedance. I did not hear that with my other headphones. 681 Evo (32 Ohm), 668B (56 Ohm) and KSC75 (60 Ohm).

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #80 of 151
  I noticed that using the ELE DAC with my Xiaomi Piston makes them sound worse and there's a huge Hiss.

I wonder if it is the DAC impedance output + the low Xiaomi impedance. I did not hear that with my other headphones. 681 Evo (32 Ohm), 668B (56 Ohm) and KSC75 (60 Ohm).

More likely the DAC chip runs out of current. PCM2704 is never meant to driver a load directly.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #81 of 151
Today I tried to measure the DAC output impedance, I tried... I couldn't get any proper results, when I try to get 1V my DMM goes crazy, it starts to measure 0.2V and 2 seconds later it is 3.5V xD. apparently the Hiss does not let the DMM works properly.

I also measured my Xonar DG output impedance, (that one was easy) It is 20.14 Ohm.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #82 of 151
  Today I tried to measure the DAC output impedance, I tried... I couldn't get any proper results, when I try to get 1V my DMM goes crazy, it starts to measure 0.2V and 2 seconds later it is 3.5V xD. apparently the Hiss does not let the DMM works properly.

I also measured my Xonar DG output impedance, (that one was easy) It is 20.14 Ohm.

What kind of setting, load and test tone do you used?

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #84 of 151

I used a 60 hz sine wave file (made with audacity), my DMM, and a 46 Ohm resistor. I also tried with a 100 Hz tone and these online calculators to make sure.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-InputOutputImpedance.htm
http://www.raltron.com/cust/tools/voltage_divider.asp

Seems alright. Since ELE doesn't have a gain stage, the PCM2705 DAC might not actually able to output 1V. I'll suggest you use 0.1V instead, as the actually voltage is less important. It is the ratio between load vs. unload that is important.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #85 of 151

Seems alright. Since ELE doesn't have a gain stage, the PCM2705 DAC might not actually able to output 1V. I'll suggest you use 0.1V instead, as the actually voltage is less important. It is the ratio between load vs. unload that is important.

Yeah but my DMM can only measure one digit after decimal point. I tried to measure the Xonar with 0.5V and the first result was 0.4V and sometimes 0.3V. that's a huge difference. At 1V the result was always 0.7V. However the ELE Dac at 0.5V goes crazy anyway. xD

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #86 of 151
Greetings to all :)

I do not have any pair of headphones that require the 600ohm output of the amplifier to power and thus the volume setting on through my ele-d02 is 3-4 on windows and I do not have much choice in volume variance.

How could I lower the output impedence? I have done research on making my own ER4P to S style adapter but have no idea what value of resistors or how should I even solder them?
2 serial and 2 parallel connected to ground?

Thanks in advance for any guidance by the experts here :D

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #87 of 151
Hi, bumping this thread cause i got this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-5V-USB-Powered-PCM2704-MINI-USB-Sound-Card-DAC-decoder-board-/361275171146? 
from an auction at 3.8 euros, if i am right this is a diy ele d00, any recommendation on what mods should i apply on this?
My soldering skills are "ok" but i am bad with choosing what resistor/transistor etc i should replace(I am more of a software guy :p ).

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #88 of 151
  Hi, bumping this thread cause i got this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-5V-USB-Powered-PCM2704-MINI-USB-Sound-Card-DAC-decoder-board-/361275171146? 
from an auction at 3.8 euros, if i am right this is a diy ele d00, any recommendation on what mods should i apply on this?
My soldering skills are "ok" but i am bad with choosing what resistor/transistor etc i should replace(I am more of a software guy :p ).

If there are any mods available, your soldering skills have to be better than "ok". This board has all SMD components which are tiny. No regular caps to replace like the other boards. I would say, use it the way it is as the performance/price factor should be good if you paid only 3.8 Euros.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #89 of 151
  If there are any mods available, your soldering skills have to be better than "ok". This board has all SMD components which are tiny. No regular caps to replace like the other boards. I would say, use it the way it is as the performance/price factor should be good if you paid only 3.8 Euros.

Well, my 1st intention was to use it as it is, i will hone my soldering skills and use it as an experiment board when i get a more "premium" dac.
Thanks for the advice.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #90 of 151
  Well, my 1st intention was to use it as it is, i will hone my soldering skills and use it as an experiment board when i get a more "premium" dac.
Thanks for the advice.

If you want to hone your soldering skills, I would get Starving Student PCBs from Fred (here on this forum) and build yourself the 12AU7 version of Starving Student headphone amp. I just finished mine in a cigar-box and it is a sweet-sounding small amp. Slightly off-topic but still relates to headphones and you can use your DAC to feed the SS amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back