EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Nov 1, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #917 of 1,752
Right..except don't think i have any 3.3k resistors lying around.

Okay..switched to the MJE devicces..I read 0.5V between the test pointss and Out.

However, positive rail is getting slammed is being pulled down to 1V. Positive regulator gets real hot.
Negative rail is steady on both boards.

Output DC Offset is reading ~ -27V wrt SG.

Its on both boards.

**facepalm**  How could i forget..indeed the pinouts are reversed on the toshibas..
Will switch the back..but will need to figure out why the positive rail is getting hit so bad. .

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #918 of 1,752
okay..switched the toshibas around..the half way mark on the trimpots nearly is perfect to bias them up. Glad i installed the transistor sockets..so much easier to these things.

Everything is kosher now.

However strange thing about the MJE devices..once i grounded the input the DC offset on the out put went away. With the toshibas even with the inputs ungrounded DC offset is at 0V.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #920 of 1,752
If the Toshibas have exacty the opposite pinouts from the MJEs they should work in the mosfet positions. If so, then all you might need to do is spread the pins apart a bit.

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #923 of 1,752
I just fully powered up my first board.  BJT (mounted on the MOSFET pads).  Power up was smooth.  Initial bias was .9V.  Was able to trim it out to 1V with a number of turns of the trimpot.  My first test of offset showed 0.01mV.

Other board will be powered up on Wednesday and hopefully I'll get sound after I fix the e12 I smoked during setup.

I should say that with 5600uF on each rail on the PS, the time to discharge is surprisingly long.  The functioning e12 doesn't release immediately when the power goes done so I'm going to have to test to see what power off behavior is.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #928 of 1,752

I should say that with 5600uF on each rail on the PS, the time to discharge is surprisingly long.  The functioning e12 doesn't release immediately when the power goes done so I'm going to have to test to see what power off behavior is.

I am sure you already know this, but, the AMB website has a suggested wiring scheme to immediately release the relay by putting one of the DC supply lines through a pole of your power on switch. I did not use this technique, but, it would eliminate thump, which is slightly present upon amp power down.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #930 of 1,752

I am sure you already know this, but, the AMB website has a suggested wiring scheme to immediately release the relay by putting one of the DC supply lines through a pole of your power on switch. I did not use this technique, but, it would eliminate thump, which is slightly present upon amp power down.

Yeah it was pretty quick to figure out that is what I needed to do. Only thing is to figure out where to put another relay as I'm using a e24 to switch power for my amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back