EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Nov 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #931 of 1,752

Quote:
That's a three inch high ParMetal isn't it? How is the heat? I was going to go the same way bit am worried about heat buildup in the case.

Just an update. I ran last night for almost two hours with the chassis instrumented to monitor thermal build-up. I placed the thermocouple in what I suspect to be the worst place for heat build up. You can confirm where that point is just by feeling around the top of the case. Recall the picture of my inside mounting, from back to front, I placed the thermocouple right in front of the dual e12's and behind the star ground terminal strip at a height equal to the top of the sidemounted e12 PCB. This is perhaps slightly higher than the heatsinks but underneath the top panel such that is was not touching the top panel.

Room temp was ~77 or 78F (~25C) but varies a bit as the HVAC is set at 76F, but, all the electronics, computers and lights make it vary a fair amount. After about an hour or so, the internal temp at that point was pretty solid at 55C (~131F). Toasty, but not too unreasonable. The top of the case is hot, but, you can hold your hand on it without discomfort.

If this case temp causes concern, then I would suggest those who use the 12x12x3 Par Metal have them run another row of vent slots right down the middle of the top panel. That should provide more than enough convection cooling for the case. I am  considering having that done as I have some painting errors I need to correct on that part anyway.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #932 of 1,752

Quote:
thanks sachu. may I know which transistor socket are you using?

and where did you source your toshiba from? are those from ebay trustable?

I bought mine from MCM. Everything points to it being genuine. Also regal sent me a set ex gratis.
Here are the transistor sockets..ignore the image they have on the  site for it. They got the wrong one up.

Quote:
I was going to use those Toshiba's but I'm using a set of Rohm's instead

Rohms??

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #937 of 1,752

Quote:
nice..how would you characterize the audible differences between the Rohms and the toshibas?
AM al up for rolling some different complimentary pairs on this amp.

I've never heard the Toshiba's and my listening so far with the Rohm's has been spotty as I'm having oscillation problems with the Kumisa.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #938 of 1,752
oh..ok. 

Yeah i rolled a bunch of output devices when i had the stacker and the 2232/968s sounded the most neutral and to my liking. This is the first time am using them in the EHHA so I am hoping it'll sound better than the mosfet version.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #939 of 1,752

Quote:
oh..ok. 

Yeah i rolled a bunch of output devices when i had the stacker and the 2232/968s sounded the most neutral and to my liking. This is the first time am using them in the EHHA so I am hoping it'll sound better than the mosfet version.

From every description I've read the 2232/968's seem to be of the sound signature I'd like, so I would like to hear them in an amp.  My issue was sourcing them and ensuring that they were good.

There may be a meet in the Toronto area in late November, so I'm hoping that happens so I get to hear ujamerstand's EHHA which is a mosfet build and compare the differences.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #940 of 1,752
Aye...I have only used the mosfet version for the last 2 years...don't have any of the ones i built since the first one, but I have a very good idea of how the mosfet amp sounds for me to compare to the BJT version. I hope to have some initial impressions tonight
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back