EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Nov 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #947 of 1,752
Yeah..Justin at  headamp hooked me up with those. I love them.

The amp sounds pretty rough right now..Needs to burn in. Atleast a good 2-3 hours.  The tubes are NOS as well . So far its decent but not up to the level I expect this amp to be performing at. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #949 of 1,752
using standard of 11 so far..I have them socketed. This works fine with the LCD-2..but for the wharfedale I still need to crank it to over 12 o clock to similar listening levels as on the LCD-2  ( 9 o clock for the lcd-2)

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #950 of 1,752
Looks great Saachi.  I've heard of a tuning fork before, but never a tuning spoon.

The closest MOSFET to the 2238/968 are the Toshiba 2SJ313/2SK2013s. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #952 of 1,752

Quote:
Those mosfets are mighty expansive. >.>

I paid $2.50 or $5 each.  I forget.  Brought in 30 pairs from China through a trusted source on diyAudio.  Also brought in 120 pairs of the SJ74/SK170s for all the amps and phono stages, upgrades for my Yammie receiver and a few other projects.  Both sets of Toshibas will be going in all my Cavalli Audio amps except the Liquid Lightning. 

Saachi had a quad, but let the fairies out of one set. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #955 of 1,752
Last Proto up and running, and in need of a permenant case.

Still need to get the e12s into the circuit and I will be good. "Cased" it up this way to see what the fit would be like on a 12"x12" base.

Have a hum issue I need to track down in the right channel, goes away as the volume goes up.

Have Tons of detail, gobs of bass.  Little too bright in the high end for my personal taste, but am going to wait and see what happens with regards to that as things burn in.  I also have the OL gain to play with (as well as possibly changing output transistors).

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #957 of 1,752
Looking good cobaltmute.

You might want to try the alternate grounding scheme Alex posted on his site. I had a slight hum until I went with that scheme.

I also think you will find the OL gain setting has a pretty dramatic effect on the overall sound. You can really tame the highs and reduce the bass by adding more NFB to the mix. I am finding less NFB makes for an exciting sound, but, not always the most compelling. The 'as built' settings are pretty much spot on for a good overall balance.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #958 of 1,752
The thing about the hum is that it is inversely dependent to the volume.  Pot all the way down and the hum is loud.  Gets quieter until about the 10:30 position where it "clicks" off - it doesn't just fade away.

I've got 10K resistors in for setting the OL gain right now. 
biggrin.gif
  An exciting sound that some would like, but I prefer a bit more laid back presentation..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back