EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Nov 17, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #1,021 of 1,752
I'm considering trying this build. What are the smallest enclosure dimensions I could get away with while still having ideal spacing between components? I am considering the HWCHAS series (http://www.hammondmfg.com/HWCHAS.htm) or the 1441 (http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg20CWW.htm). What sizes of these two would be appropriate. Any other similar recommendations would be appreciated (preferably <$150).

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #1,022 of 1,752
Size wise the 13 x 10 might work and the larger one would definitely work.  The bigger issue is ventilation.  This baby puts out lots of heat so you're going to needs a bunch of holes on the top and bottom.  Not sure you want to do that to either case you showed.  

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,024 of 1,752

Quote:
I think R11=1.8k gives a great sound and more than enough play it the pot to be useable.  I had it at the ChiUnifi meet yesterday and many people commented on the transparent, solid, and musical sound of the amp.  I also had a chance to listen to the HD-800, LCD2, HE6, and K702 through the amp and it drove all of them extremely well (would probably raise the gain for the HE6 but it still sounded great).

So, I've been back listening to the HF-2's lately. Man, they really fit this amp well! I ended up reducing to 1.5k at R11 (still 75k at R13/14). I think I like this as the best balance between top-end clarity and bass presence yet still gives you some travel on the pot.

If you feel adventurous and do not mind losing some of the low end presence, 2.1k at R11 is pretty interesting with the HF-2, especially with acoustic and/or acoustic guitar-based music. Not sure I would live there full time, but, it is a nice place to visit.

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #1,025 of 1,752

Quote:
I'm wondering if it's OK to use a high input impedance pot for this amp? I have a spare 250k DACT in the drawer from my last project. Would be great if I could use it.

So, not sure about the 250k pot, but, I asked the following question of Alex during the BOM/schematic checkout phase of this project:

What size pot are you recommending? 50k? 100k?

Answer:

50k would best. 100k would be ok.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #1,026 of 1,752
My boards arrived today...

They do look very good... excellent work Alex!
And thanks Jeff for fast delivery to Germany!

Untíl you guys see the first european build it'll probably be a few months... too many other things to finish.
Finally have to get my Aikido cased up (80% finished), but then I have my Mouser order ready to be sent...
tongue.gif
??

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #1,027 of 1,752
Casing update.

I received another top plate for the Par Metal 12x12x3 case. This one has an extra row of slots right down the middle (I also painted it correctly this time):

This extra set of slots has helped with heat build up in the center of the case. I posted this to show it as an option to consider as well as to let you know that Par Metal did not charge for the extra row of slots, which, was a nice surprise. Ideally, I would have the bottom plate redone as well, but, there is too much work involved at this point in the project. For those going forward, it is certainly an option to consider.

All packaged up, screwed down tight and still sounding great! Hopefully this keeps me from playing with the gain/NFB anymore....

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #1,029 of 1,752
Yeah, the anodized black is a great undercoat, but, really shows the marks if you are not careful with it (which, I wasn't).

I think this case mod was so simple, there was little room for failure. Still, I had my fingers crossed. :wink:

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #1,031 of 1,752

Quote:
Anyway this build can be modified to run speakers? I am stuck between this and the original EHHA, really wanted something that could run a pair of efficient speakers. 

The original EHHA is better designed for speaker use.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #1,033 of 1,752
yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back