EHHA Rev A - Interest Thread
Nov 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #1,006 of 1,752
This is true for Jeff and GlassJar. I've worked with him for many years and he is indeed just one guy doing everything.

So how many amps are actually working now without problems?

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #1,007 of 1,752
Most people from the prototyping team I guess. Cobaltmute and I are experiencing hum, but I don't consider mine an issue, as mine is more about cable management than anything else.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #1,008 of 1,752
Mine is now fully buttoned up and working well. No hum at all. My initial hum was cured going to the alternate ground scheme back when I was running the Antek transformers. I never had any issues with the sumR part with regards to hum, so, I suspect ujamerstand and cobaltmute will eventually isolate their hum issues.

Not sure where studeb or stringgz stand with regards to their amps. I know they are up and running, but, I do not know the status of their casing efforts. Sachu appears to be finished and working as well, although he took down his casing pictures, so, he must be up to something interesting. :wink:

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #1,009 of 1,752
OK. Just trying to be sure that the new board/kit buyers will be free from problems. At least any problems inherent to the circuitry.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #1,010 of 1,752
Mine is all boxed up with no issues.  I had a fair amount of noise until it was in the case (random crackling, picking up the neighbor's circular saw) but it is dead-silent now.  I used the alternate grounding scheme.  

Awesome amp.  It's going to the ChiUnify get together this weekend.  We'll see what others think.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #1,011 of 1,752
One of my final items to procure are tube sockets.  For some socket types I have the option of silver or gold plating.  Does it matter, or is one type preferred for this application?  My current top pick is the teflon composite material with gold contacts.

BK

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #1,012 of 1,752

Quote:
One of my final items to procure are tube sockets.  For some socket types I have the option of silver or gold plating.  Does it matter, or is one type preferred for this application?  My current top pick is the teflon composite material with gold contacts.

BK

It doesn't really matter too much.  Silver is cheaper but it does tarnish over time, but IMHO it's not a big deal as a couple of cycles removing and reinserting the tube wears off the tarnish.  I tend to pick gold for tube sockets and things that don't see as much swapping of parts or cables. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #1,013 of 1,752

Quote:
It doesn't really matter too much.  Silver is cheaper but it does tarnish over time, but IMHO it's not a big deal as a couple of cycles removing and reinserting the tube wears off the tarnish.  I tend to pick gold for tube sockets and things that don't see as much swapping of parts or cables. 

Thanks.  Gold it is then.  Also opted for a nice TKD potentiometer.  Glad that I stopped keeping track of expenses!

BK

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #1,014 of 1,752
Made what I hope are the final tweaks to my Rev A:

- socketed R11 and increased it to 1.8k - definitely more play on the pot now
- received and installed the FPE panel and installed the LED's
- painted the case.  can't really see it in the picture but it's a very cool blue flake

It's now buttoned up, and hopefully will stay that way.

I've also tried a little tube rolling.  Mainly been listening with Tele's: very clear, clean, and firm.  Tried some holland ones (small halo getter) and they were pleasant but less defined.  Instrument location was more approximate.  Also ordered a pair of russian 6n27p Reflektors of eBay but one tube is flaky (DC offset never settles down) so haven't been able to listen to them.  Anyone have a Reflektor I can borrow?

This has been a fun project.  Much more wiring than anything I've done before (CTH, SOHAII), but one listen makes it all worth it.

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #1,015 of 1,752
Very  cool build Stringz aka melodiouspunk:D

I concur with your views on the teles vis a vis the hollands..the teles are the best of the 6GM8 variant i have tried in this amp and i've tried a  fair few.
Shame about the 6N27..was looking forward to some impressions on that tube.

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #1,016 of 1,752
By the way, a big thank you to Ujamerstand for creating the logo.  It turned out very well

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #1,020 of 1,752
I think R11=1.8k gives a great sound and more than enough play it the pot to be useable.  I had it at the ChiUnifi meet yesterday and many people commented on the transparent, solid, and musical sound of the amp.  I also had a chance to listen to the HD-800, LCD2, HE6, and K702 through the amp and it drove all of them extremely well (would probably raise the gain for the HE6 but it still sounded great).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back