Effect of the 3.5mm plug on sound quality
Jul 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

forcooler

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently bought the Sennheiser hd 448's recently.But unfortunately,I've managed to break the 3.5mm plug already 
mad.gif
,I was wondering how to go about replacing it.

As a quick solution i have a few plugs,one of  which, i can solder on,but they arent gold plated or of exceptional build quality.Would the missing gold plating , affect sound quality and by how much?

Also,just wondering,does changing the plug change the impedance of the headphones?

I just fear that the headphones might never sound like before again.

Where can i get order good quality plugs?(in India or at least some place which ships to India)

Thanks in advance.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 6
The plug has some small impedance and actually is the major source of crosstalk in some systems.  I wouldn't call that changing the characteristic of the headphones, but rather the source.  Both impedance and crosstalk effects should be pretty small in general though.  The gold plating is potentially helpful but shouldn't make a difference if absent, if the connection is solid and tight.

I would be very surprised if there were a perceptible change in sound quality, unless the plug is defective.  i.e. if somebody changed the plug on you without you knowing, you wouldn't notice it.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 6
I like the ones at Radioshack

But then I get the 1/4 inch and use an adapter

Get a gold plated, for more clarity and a screw on body with a spring cable shock to protect the cable. Make sure you solder good, not too much solder and made sure you sure heat shrink and don't heat the heatshrink as it comes out of the spring end. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I like the ones at Radioshack

But then I get the 1/4 inch and use an adapter

Get a gold plated, for more clarity and a screw on body with a spring cable shock to protect the cable. Make sure you solder good, not too much solder and made sure you sure heat shrink and don't heat the heatshrink as it comes out of the spring end. 

I'll check radioshack out,I dunno if they ship to India though. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
The plug has some small impedance and actually is the major source of crosstalk in some systems.  I wouldn't call that changing the characteristic of the headphones, but rather the source.  Both impedance and crosstalk effects should be pretty small in general though.  The gold plating is potentially helpful but shouldn't make a difference if absent, if the connection is solid and tight.

I would be very surprised if there were a perceptible change in sound quality, unless the plug is defective.  i.e. if somebody changed the plug on you without you knowing, you wouldn't notice it.

Alright,for now,I'l try on the nickel ones and see how well they work.Meanwhile if needed,I can order a plug.

And i agree about the part where i would notice if I didnt know the plug was switched
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

I'll check radioshack out,I dunno if they ship to India though. Thanks anyway.

Alright,for now,I'l try on the nickel ones and see how well they work.Meanwhile if needed,I can order a plug.

And i agree about the part where i would notice if I didnt know the plug was switched
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Oh, shipping to India

Radioshack is exclusively stateside, sorry

Isn't there any electronic stores near you? There should be a good section of plugs there. Just gold plated with a screw side would be good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back