Effect Audio cables thread
Jan 23, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #7,742 of 7,968
CODE rolling Tuesday

It's been a busy work we and haven't had much time to jot more impressions of the latest CODEs. Signatures across all 3 are distinctive, while C23 and 24C has been perfect with FiR's first single 12mm DD in taming the spicy and shouty highs while running in.

PXL_20240123_211711222.jpeg

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #7,743 of 7,968
Cleopatra II OCTA 4.4mm vs Cleopatra II OCTA TermX

20240123_163353.jpg

The moment we are all waiting for!

Who cares about sound quality. TermX is heavier by 0.6 grams.

Winner is 4.4mm!

Attachments

• 20240123_163447.jpg
    20240123_163447.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240123_163505.jpg
    20240123_163505.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jan 23, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #7,744 of 7,968
Holy smokes, got my Cadmus 8w in exactly one week after ordering, which was unexpected. What a superb cable. Ultra clear, detailed, transparent, and still with a bold bass backbone. I like my Cadmus 4w, but the 8w is on another level. After only about 15 minutes of listening, I went ahead and grabbed the Ares x Cadmus from Musictek while it was still available. My wallet is quite a bit lighter, but my ears are both happy and excited at the same time.

Can't wait.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #7,745 of 7,968
Holy smokes, got my Cadmus 8w in exactly one week after ordering, which was unexpected. What a superb cable. Ultra clear, detailed, transparent, and still with a bold bass backbone. I like my Cadmus 4w, but the 8w is on another level. After only about 15 minutes of listening, I went ahead and grabbed the Ares x Cadmus from Musictek while it was still available. My wallet is quite a bit lighter, but my ears are both happy and excited at the same time.

Can't wait.
I got today the Ares S x Cadmus and it's an awesome cable.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #7,746 of 7,968
Interesting you opted for Term-X over Pentaconn. I assume you valued the convenience of its modular system over the "purist" route? From my experience, there is definitely an audible difference between the two so it certainly isn't just a choice of having a modular system or not.

I compared two Code 23 side-by-side a while back - one terminated in its standard Term-X and the other in OFC Pentaconn.

The left plug here is the Term-X variant and has a slightly elevated pedestal compared to Pentaconn on the right.

The two Code 23 were identical in tonality, but the Pentaconn variant clearly had a more transparent and resolving midrange. The difference was appreciable enough for me to choose the Pentaconn variant over the other, and something I would encourage others to give some consideration as well.

Regardless, really happy to see you with the upgraded hardware! I've debated on sending my Chiron over, but have kept it for now as I'm very much enjoying it in its current state.

Update on my Cleo II Octa TermX vs Pentaconn OFC.

I could attest that the Pentaconn OFC variant does indeed sound better than the TermX version. I was hoping that the difference would be insignificant and ignorable so I would keep the convenience of being able to change between 3.5mm single ended and 4.4mm balanced. I was listening to piano and it comes more alive with extra air and weight on the strings. Whitney Houston's voice sounds more full. Even the very faint "clack" sound from some instrument gets this extra air/echo sound. I checked if there are other areas that worsened since sometimes some areas improve while other areas worsen (ie warm vs bright). I can't identify any. I also adjusted volume to see if maybe the other one just has less loudness but result is the same. Pentaconn OFC will be keeper for me.

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #7,747 of 7,968
Anyone care to share videos of how the Code 24 and 24C handle ergonomically? I understand that they're more pliable and flexible than the Code 23, but how do they compare to EA's 8w cables? Seems like most, if not all sound impressions have been very positive.

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #7,748 of 7,968
Anyone care to share videos of how the Code 24 and 24C handle ergonomically? I understand that they're more pliable and flexible than the Code 23, but how do they compare to EA's 8w cables? Seems like most, if not all sound impressions have been very positive.

I saw these 2 videos this week.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #7,749 of 7,968

Can't wait.
I've had mixed results with cable burn-in, but in general I think I'm a believer. While the Cadmus 4w didn't seem to respond to burn-in, the 8-wire version seems to have shifted its signature a bit in the last 10 hours or so (mellowed out for the better). Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but it certainly sounds like it to my ears. Oddly, it is starting to sound like what I would imagine the Ares x Cadmus would sound like, which is the reason I placed the order for it. Now it's going to be interesting to compare the two. I'm really digging the sound out of the Cadmus 8w at this point. Really works well with the ISN EST50. Incredible sound for <$1k total. Quite frankly I think this setup sounds better than the much more expensive IEMs/cables I've heard.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #7,750 of 7,968
CODE rolling Tuesday

It's been a busy work we and haven't had much time to jot more impressions of the latest CODEs. Signatures across all 3 are distinctive, while C23 and 24C has been perfect with FiR's first single 12mm DD in taming the spicy and shouty highs while running in.

PXL_20240123_211711222.jpeg
Great setup there mate. I need one of those signal spliter, it makes our life much easier when comparing side by side.

Signatures across all 3 are distinctive, while C23 and 24C has been perfect with FiR's first single 12mm DD in taming the spicy and shouty highs while running in.

First impression is spot on what I would expect there. :)

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #7,751 of 7,968
I've had mixed results with cable burn-in, but in general I think I'm a believer. While the Cadmus 4w didn't seem to respond to burn-in, the 8-wire version seems to have shifted its signature a bit in the last 10 hours or so (mellowed out for the better). Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but it certainly sounds like it to my ears. Oddly, it is starting to sound like what I would imagine the Ares x Cadmus would sound like, which is the reason I placed the order for it. Now it's going to be interesting to compare the two. I'm really digging the sound out of the Cadmus 8w at this point. Really works well with the ISN EST50. Incredible sound for <$1k total. Quite frankly I think this setup sounds better than the much more expensive IEMs/cables I've heard.
All the S series 8w cables are just outstanding cables in my experience I've yet to find an iem that one of these cables doesn't improve the playback adding to the fact they are just beautiful and with changeable connections pretty much untouchable value wise.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #7,752 of 7,968
Alright, so I have a few things to share and basically I am here to ask for @EffectAudio 's help.

I bought a Centurion early May and five days later, this happened:

Now if anyone remember me from last year, the same oxidation happened to my other Centurion, but for context, that one was kept in a VE leather case without any moisture protection, and the oxidation was only clearly noticeable after 5 months. This one I kept in a Pelican case with dehumidifiers, and the Pelican itself was kept in a dry box, again with dehumidifiers.

I thought that was impossible since it is only less than a week since I got it, but I recognise these oxidated parts immediate because it is exactly the same as last year. So I emailed effect audio asking for help. Their reply was that these looked like colour stains on the outer jacket. The stains were clearly inside on the wire, but I did not press the case further since it is only a small part.

Another week gone and the oxidation worsened - it is clearly noticeable in many parts of the wire:

So I went to Crystal Sound Audio (CSA), the Hong Kong dealer for Effect Audio, for help. They recognised that it was oxidation but stated that EA might not be able to "fix" it. (I sent my Chiron for RMA in March due to bad contact and oxidation and it was returned to me after two months with a new 4.4, but the oxidated wires remained - which I don't mind because it is not very noticeable through Chiron's matte black jacket)

Today CSA came back to me saying that EA said oxidation cannot be fixed.

Basically I am a bit disappointed because last year EA offered me a brand new exchange once I posted my issues on Head-Fi. This time I thought the problem was more serious because the oxidation happened within a month and with my best efforts of anti-humidity - dry box, dehumidifiers, and basically using it indoors only. I am finding it very strange because:

- my last Centurion oxidised after 5 months and that was without any protection. This one lasted 7 days.
- I use the exact same placement method for my Chiron x Code 51 (which has identical materials as the Centurion for some of the wires) which I have had for two months longer, and NOTHING happened to that cable - still looks immaculate. And I used this cable outdoors.

Anyway, what I am saying is that I experienced great customet service from EA last year - they replaced my Centurion very quickly. I eventually ended up selling it due to synergy issues with my new IEMs and fear of oxidation. I purchased another one this year because I loved it with the Annihilator, and seeing that my anti-oxidation methods worked for my other wires, I was confident to give it another shot. Needless to say I am a shocked and disappointed that it happened that quickly.

Seeing that I bought two Centurions at full retail price, I'd like to ask for EA's help and see of you could do one of the following for me:

- a brand new exchange (but I don't prefer this option because I might end up selling it again)
- a full/partial refund
- an exchange to other cable options
- just a thought: if you can build the Centurion with Chiron's matte black jacket, then I probably wouldn't mind the oxidation as much.

Or if you have any other options, please feel free to discuss it with me.

Thank you.

@EffectAudio @JordonEA

Hey man, just got a centurion myself. I'm going to keep it in a cigar box when not in use. Same thing I do with cigars before I smoke them, let them sit in a drybox(wooden cigar box) a day or 2 before I smoke them. Solves any humidity issues. Wish me luck, centurion sounds awesome!

I love how centurion tightens up the bass, making it more impactful. The pairing with Jewel is sublime, it's exactly what jewel needed, a bit of a lift in the mid trebel and a dash of dynamism.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #7,753 of 7,968
Now then, it has been a while (busy with that strange thing called life) since I posted on HF... and at that time these were my main listening combinations:
20240107_153644.jpg
EA Axiom + CODE 24 & CA Vega OG + CODE 24C

But some things have changed over the past weeks. For starters: I hunted down a used UM Mext and CA Supermoon HK (grey shells instead of black) in the classifieds. I have to admit that both came with pretty decent cables to begin with. The Mext with its PW black stock cable and the Supermoon with an Onso 06 copper upgrade (instead of stock) cable. Of course I started listening with these iems/cables that way for the first days... but during the end of this week and the weekend I decided that it was time for some serious cable rollllllingggg... which resulted in the following combinations:

First of all the Axiom went back to the Fusion 1 => a synergy combination that I have used frequently before because of its wonderful holographic signature. It always reminds me a bit of the sound of the Tralucent 1plus2 that I had in the past. The lows almost seem to get some extra rumble dimension, which I don't hear in my other iems...
EA Axiom (Fusion 1).jpg

After that I moved the Vega OG to the Ares S x Cadmus cable, which also resulted in some great (I certainly prefer it over the ALO pure silver litz upgrade cables that I used on both Andro & Vega for many years) synergy...
CA Vega OG (Ares S x Cadmus).jpg

Also gotta love that splitter, right? :heart_eyes:

Next stop: the CA Supermoon
CA Supermoon (CODE 24C).jpg

When I first listened to this iem I was immediately highly impressed by its superb technical performance. I've always had a soft spot for the CA Andro and Vega, since I picked them up in 2016/2017. The Andro for its excellent resolution / details and wide soundstage. The Vega for its more full bodied sound signature and its fantastic (sub)lows. The Supermoon somehow manages to combine all these strenghts, but when I listened to it for a longer time, it also unfortunately resulted in some ear fatigue for me. However, changing the tips (to the included marshmallow ones) and shifting it to the copper CODE 24C cable took completely care of that and the sound remained clear and detailed like before.

And last but certainly not least, the UM Mext
UM Mext (CODE 24).jpg

Now this is truly a golden combination imho, both to the eyes and ears!

Listening to the UM Mext was already a nice experience with the stock cable. A very relaxed sound signature with still great lows, imaging and a wide soundstage. The lows however sometimes sounded a little bit bloated and the treble seemed a bit rolled off as well, especially when I compared it to the high technical standards of the CA Supermoon.

So, I thought that the Mext probably could benefit from the CODE 24 cable and boy was I (luckily) right about that! The resolution scaled up, the treble became less rolled off and I could hardly notice the bloated lows (they definitely tightened up to my ears) after that change => totally love this (and it might even become my favorite atm) combination!

Anyhow, whichever of the above synergy combinations I picked during this week/weekend... it always ended up for me feeling somehow like this
Blown away.gif

Oh... and then one more thing (which I just discovered yesterday)
Columbo.gif

The seller of the Supermoon told me that he had heard it sometimes with the Ares S 8 wire cable and that he was very impressed with that combination. Now, as I don't have the Ares S 8w here, I decided to hook it up with the Ares S x Cadmus cable instead...
CA Supermoon (Ares S x Cadmus).jpg

And I can only say that this is also a superb synergy combination, with a possibly even enhanced wide soundstage compared to the 24C. So now I have a hard time deciding if I will keep listening this way, or that I should move it back to the 24C instead :thinking:

Anyway, long story short: I still totally love this hobby (and music in general) after all these years!!!
Have to fix some diner over here right now => cheers and happy listening to ya'all :)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #7,755 of 7,968
Nice to see the OG Vega again BTW!

Have you tried the Bonneville? They pair so well with EA cables so much better than the stock cables that actually hurts Campfire's potential sales from how they make their hybrid IEMs sound disjointed and incoherent. I found my current Audio Nirvana for Bonneville and have a fellow head-fier discovered a cool experience of actually experiencing what a synergy an Effect Audio cable makes with Campfire Audio IEMs :)

@theveterans got me to listen to his Andromedas for a bit. Very respectable and pleasant set, especially given how long they've been around. Admittedly, my demo was all of 25 seconds as they suffer the same problem as any other set with BAs playing remotely into the bass for me, giving me a headache after a short bit of listening.

We also had a very fun venture seeing the most dramatic change I've heard a cable cause with the Bonneville. The Bonneville had some very extreme bass bloom that made them sound extremely muddy off of my M8 with the stock cable, with mids and treble being... okayish. Switching out the stock cable to his Effect Audio Thor 8 wire? I believe it was, was a dramatic shift. The bass bloom was completely gone and the sound became significantly clearer, better, separated, and just all around incredibly good. Also an interesting demo as I heard none of that bass bloom and muddiness listening to the Bonneville at CanJam SoCal with my Shanling M6 Pro and its stock cable.

IMG_9154.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back