Effect Audio cables thread
Jan 19, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #7,726 of 8,007
IMG_5741.jpg

After a fast and furious 2.5 weeks with the Code 24 and 24C prototype and production cables, I have posted reviews!

The Code 24 represents much improved ergonomics from the Code 23 as well as a spacious and well resolving sound signature with whatever IEM that I threw at it.

The Code 24C improves on ergonomics even further with smaller hardware than the 24 and the 23 and creates a more intimate sound signature that seems to be quite upper-mid forward, highlighting female vocalists more in my testing.

Ultimately, I feel that the Code 24 represents the best balance of sound and ergonomics in the Code series and feels like a safer choice for those looking at Code series cables specifically. The Code 23 sounded great but felt a little too coloured and was an ergonomic nightmare to be able to recommend to everyone and the Code 24C leans a bit too hard into the ergonomics when there's stiff competition of more traditional cables in the market.

All-in-all, I still don't think the Code series of cables are for me given ergonomic difficulties but both cables definitely represent evolutionary steps in improving user experience and for that I commend Effect Audio!

Thanks to @Damz87 and @EffectAudio for arranging the Australian tour of these cables!

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #7,727 of 8,007
I placed an order about a week ago for some cables but I haven't heard anything since the initial order confirmation email. How long does EA typically take to ship out cables?

Jan 20, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #7,728 of 8,007
I've spent considerable time with both the C24 and C24C over the last week in casual listening but the last 24 hours I've really been listening and honestly I'm blown away by them. Both of these cables (soundwise) pair beuatifully with every IEM in my stable with subtle differences between them. One of my all time favorite IEMs at any pricepoint has been the IMR EDP (Every Day Planar) which I sold twice and recently re-acquired - never to sell again. It's a magnificent Hybrid with a 9mm wideband DD and 10mm Planar operating without crossovers. It comes with a high quality UPOCC cable and sounds amazing in it's native set up. The bass reaches down low, mids are luscious as one would expect from a planar with perfect vocal postioning and gorgeous texturing. It's a bit of a Unicorn, this IEM. If I ever had complaint about the EDP it would only be that I wish it reached a little higher in the treble and had a bit more energy up top - which is why I kept selling it - to make room for a successor to replace it, which never happend. Anyway, I give you all that not to review the EDP but to provide some context for what these cables have done to / for this EDP. I remember writing about the Code 23 like this: "It's like the CODE 23 just hits you with a wall of sound. Take everything you like about your favorite IEM and multiply and magnify it - without ever overdoing it."

Well, that's how I feel about the 24 and the 24C. I ran both these cables with my UM Indigos, the EDP and also my IMR RAH CIEM and in all three cases all of these cable accentuated what I love about each of these IEMs with a few subtle differences between them. I'm going to focus my comments on the EDP because it is the one that got the most noticeable jump in performance - but I want to say that the reason I threw the RAH into the mix is because it is a BEAST of a Tribrid with a 15mm Beryllium DD 12mm Planar and 10mm Piezo. It's technical, muscular and musical and it is a bass monster. As a universal it was semi-openback which controlled the bass output but I had it converted to CIEM which magnified both the sub and mid bass output. With the right cable its a beautiful custom with the wrong cable the bass is simply overwhelming, so I've used it for a couple of years with an inexpensive XINHS silver to tame it down. Suffice it to say each of the Code Series: 23, 24, 24C paired beautifully with the RAH. On the one hand magnified everything but it didn't over accentuate any of the frequencies. I really dont know how EA do it but none of them are typical copper cables. All of the CODE series provide warmth of copper but the kind of detail you'd expect to get out of silver. I use the C23 with the RAH now and it is a very satifying emotional listening experice.

OK onto the 24 and 24C with the EDP. Like I said the EDP reaches down nice and low without any muddiness but the Mids in planar fashion are the star of the show, I've never heard drums presented like the EDP does, One can literally feel the texture of the skins on the toms and reverberation of plucked strings. It's quite viceral. Both the 24 and 24C took the low end and the mids and just fattened them up without any bloat. So when I say fattened them up - I mean there is just MORE of the properties that bring such emotional engagement. Brilliant cables, both. For me the big test was the treble response with these cables. Like I said the only shortcoming of the EDP lies in the upper end extention - it's there but a little rolled off. I can tell you that somehow both the 24 and the 24C somehow manage to squeeze more shimmer, air and sparkle in the upper registers. I'm listening to "Your Touch" off Santana's Milagro album as I write this and the bassline is rumbling, bongos are reverberating, the guitars are crying above it all but the cymbals have a new level of sweet crispness to float above it all, with everything else as I said, fattened, widened and extened. Honestly, I'm completely swept up and and in love with what I'm hearing. I've gone back and forth between the 24C and 24 with the same tracks and same IEM and I think I can confidently say that they have both a similar effect in terms of maginifying the sound with the biggest difference to me being in the upper end energy. The CODE 24 which is silver plated simply takes everything I'm loving about the 24C and gives just a bit more energy up top.

I've gone through the same tracks with my UM Mest Indigo and have a similar experience. Like the their predecessor, the Code 23, both the 24 and 24C pair beautifully with the Indigo just amplifying what I love about them. The Indigo has 4 ESTs in it and although the the Silver Plated 24 gives a bit more energy to the treble, it doesn't add any sibilance. So Here's how I landed. The 23 has gone onto my RAH because it sounds fantastic and that IEM can stand up to to the greater stiffness of that cable. The CODE 24C is permanently staying on the EDP - deepening, widening the sound stage and extending the treble in a noticeable way while at the same time making visually beautiful pairing. And although more treble is what I hoped to get out of the EDP and the 24 does add a little more that the 24C, the 24C provides the desired effect and it's a little more flexible than the 24 which has found it's home on the Indigo.

The Code Series are not your typical Copper or SPC cables. They add depth warmth and detail in a way I've never experienced. Any one of theses cables prove to be great investment, the only place I wouldnt recommend them are with shallow fit IEMs where they may have a tendency to pull the earphone from your ear. I tried them also with my Xelentos and they are just too lightweight and so shallow fitting that the Code cables are inappropriate for them. Aside from that, these are gorgeous cables both sonically and aestheticly that should pair well with any IEM you want to elevate.

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_133837.jpg
    IMG_20240105_133837.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240116_162853.jpg
    IMG_20240116_162853.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #7,729 of 8,007
IMG_0388.jpeg

Code 24: Bullet the Blue Sky!

Knowing me, I wouldn't bring a bold cable to talk about tame symphonies and lullabies. The Effect Audio Code 24 impressions will be themed around the fury of "Bullet the Blue Sky", not the U2 ballad, but the Sepultura's punch on your face. :)

Thanks to @JordonEA and @EffectAudio for the opportunity to review this great release.

Its silver-plated copper strands put together on a bolder and thick wire like a chain summoning the spirit of Sepultura aggressiveness. This isn't your every day's braided cable; it's a sonic weapon, primed to sonically attack your ears. Buckle up, audiophiles’ friends, because we're about to dissect this cable's technical performance (with some fun metaphors in-between), using the Cayin N30LE source and three IEMs as our test subjects: the shapeshifting Unique Melody Mentor Multiverse, the seasoned 64 Audio A12T, and the thunderous Empire Ears Legend X.

IMG_0414.jpeg

PS.: The song is thematic, doesn't mean it was the only song used on this relaxing listening. U2 version, together with other Sepultura, Slayer, Pantera, Metallcia and recently found HELGA.

Sonic Uprising:

Imagine Max Cavalera himself weaving the Code 24's wires, channelling the song's rage into each strand. Well, that's not what happens here, but it's fun to think of. With the Mentor Multiverse, "Bullet the Blue Sky" explodes like a bomb. The bass kicks harder than what would be a punch from Derrick Green, rumbling the sonic foundations while Derrick's vocals soar deep and low across a blue sky.

The A12T

A well bashed IEM in my collection, gains newfound clarity, its attacks sharpened and extended, its guitars rhythms push new dynamics, but not as crazy Code 23 used to be, from my memory. An IEM that is a bit intimate, slightly opened, like opening a window on a closed room. The deep sensation is that you get improvements like stronger propulsion, but still feels like another SPC rocket that will take you deep into the sky like others just slightly different.

IMG_0419.jpeg

And the Legend X?

Oh boy, the Legend X roars like old times Andreas' with a throat full of thunder. Its bass/lower mids is a Solar wave crashing against the Code 24's Sky, well… analogies aside, it maintains the well-known deep bass from LX and slightly more controlled than stock Ares S. But its upper mids/treble, usually forgotten within the sky full of stars (bass!), get slightly opened and extended, giving a feeling of a bit more details and technicalities.

What about UM Mentor Multiverse?

This pairing synergizes exceptionally well, with the Mentor Multiverse adapting to the Code 24's signature while retaining its inherent versatility. The cable's warmth, bass, and airy treble perfectly complement the IEM's adaptability and detail. They paint an immersive soundscape with impactful bass, clear vocals, and shimmering highs. Technicality on a spot, rendering instruments with pinpoint precision and revealing hidden musical gems. This synergy isn't just compatibility, its bullseye shot.

IMG_0387.jpeg

Not everything is perfect... The synergy between them it’s great and remarkable, but MM stock cable still extract more light from this star. But again, costs double the price.

Beyond the ground and heading to the blue sky:

But like any design revolution, there are compromises. The Code 24, while shedding the Code 23's cumbersome armour, still retains a touch of stiffness and thickness, a serpent coiling around your body. Its ergonomics, though improved, it's still not malleable like Fusion 1's effortless shapeshifting as the best of the bunch. And while its balanced signature and extension are commendable, its neutrality may leave some hunger for the seductive smoothness of the Cardas Clear light, the unparalleled detail of the Cardas Clear, or the depth of the PW "Deep of the universe". All Copper cables that are well known by the community as providers of some smooth rides, but full of technicalities.

IMG_0431.jpeg

Technical pre-flight check:

Yet, the Code 24 remains a worthy power in this audio cable design revolution. Its technical capabilities shine through, quite well, but if that flight is enough, one has to decide. It paints the soundstage with good precision, layering instruments and vocals with accuracy, like Sepultura's intricate guitar riffs and Derrick's layered growls in "Bullet the Blue Sky." Imaging is sharp, placing every sonic element in its rightful place (As one would imagine the instruments placement would be :p), offering a holographic listening experience, like flying through the sky, like relativity law, it's all about reference.

IMG_0416.jpeg

Detail retrieval is definitely a step up from stock cables on A12t and LX, which I can clearly hear the guitars on top of drums and vocals. Drums and bass guitar being a hard one to separate all layers, but Code 24 does it without breaking a sweet. Not all is a perfect shot, in UM Mentor's case, which it's stock cable pairing is impressive. But if one wants a palate cleansing, Code 24 is a good contender.

Comparing the Code 24's audio impact as a clash of titans. With the Mentor Multiverse, it's a symbiotic dance, each element adapting and amplifying the other's strengths, but a clear downgrade from stock cable, depending on the preferences it can be a side grade. The A12T benefits from the added clarity and extensions, gaining clear vocals and an slightly detailed body. The LX plays on a different role as its main signature is focused on lower end, but that with the right cable it brings LX's great capabilities into the upper mids and treble, I can say that Code24 awoke that engine for sure.

Twisted Snakes fight:

The Fusion 1 boasts superior comfort, and its technical capabilities is still a step up on the Code 24's prowess. Not that Code 24 doesn't rock, just Fusion that is a remarkable cable and the pinnacle of Effect audio "single" core design.

The Cardas Clear, a well-known and regarded high-end reference, surpasses the Code 24 in overall refinement and smoothness. But costs twice the price. While the PW "Deep of the universe" goes more into the Code 24 bullet shot direction into the clarity treble, smooth low and spacious upper mids, they both still play in different leagues in the sense of price to performance race.

Revolutionaries with Reservations (preliminary final thoughts):

The Code 24's ergonomics, while improved, might still feel like a serpent's embrace for some. 16.5 AWG is not as thick as we think, as I said on Code 23 comments, when compared to other 4w and 8w cables. Code 24 with the split central core into 3 wires definitely makes a difference compared to Code 23.

But for those who value sonic rebellion and technical precision, its strengths outweigh its quirks. It's not for the faint of heart, nor the budget conscious. Talking about budget, Code 24 at $799 will have to fight a bit more for attention than Code 23 at $599. But for a good colour match, a nice SPC, a special sound signature…it's worth the shot.

IMG_0433.jpeg

If you're ready to unleash a sonic uprising and experience the potential of high-quality SPC cables, the Code 24 is your weapon. Just remember, not all rockets are comfortable, but the sonic victory may be worth the flight. So, raise your IEMs, and let the Code 24 rip through the air like a Bullet to the Blue Sky. Just be careful, your ears might never be the same.

I'm now with the thought at the back of my mind of how it would go as a headphone cable as how my Code 23 is now. I think it will be a great contender for lots of other well-known cables around.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #7,731 of 8,007
IMG_0388.jpeg

Code 24: Bullet the Blue Sky!

Knowing me, I wouldn't bring a bold cable to talk about tame symphonies and lullabies. The Effect Audio Code 24 impressions will be themed around the fury of "Bullet the Blue Sky", not the U2 ballad, but the Sepultura's punch on your face. :)

Thanks to @JordonEA and @EffectAudio for the opportunity to review this great release.

Its silver-plated copper strands put together on a bolder and thick wire like a chain summoning the spirit of Sepultura aggressiveness. This isn't your every day's braided cable; it's a sonic weapon, primed to sonically attack your ears. Buckle up, audiophiles’ friends, because we're about to dissect this cable's technical performance (with some fun metaphors in-between), using the Cayin N30LE source and three IEMs as our test subjects: the shapeshifting Unique Melody Mentor Multiverse, the seasoned 64 Audio A12T, and the thunderous Empire Ears Legend X.

IMG_0414.jpeg

PS.: The song is thematic, doesn't mean it was the only song used on this relaxing listening. U2 version, together with other Sepultura, Slayer, Pantera, Metallcia and recently found HELGA.

Sonic Uprising:

Imagine Max Cavalera himself weaving the Code 24's wires, channelling the song's rage into each strand. Well, that's not what happens here, but it's fun to think of. With the Mentor Multiverse, "Bullet the Blue Sky" explodes like a bomb. The bass kicks harder than what would be a punch from Derrick Green, rumbling the sonic foundations while Derrick's vocals soar deep and low across a blue sky.

The A12T

A well bashed IEM in my collection, gains newfound clarity, its attacks sharpened and extended, its guitars rhythms push new dynamics, but not as crazy Code 23 used to be, from my memory. An IEM that is a bit intimate, slightly opened, like opening a window on a closed room. The deep sensation is that you get improvements like stronger propulsion, but still feels like another SPC rocket that will take you deep into the sky like others just slightly different.

IMG_0419.jpeg

And the Legend X?

Oh boy, the Legend X roars like old times Andreas' with a throat full of thunder. Its bass/lower mids is a Solar wave crashing against the Code 24's Sky, well… analogies aside, it maintains the well-known deep bass from LX and slightly more controlled than stock Ares S. But its upper mids/treble, usually forgotten within the sky full of stars (bass!), get slightly opened and extended, giving a feeling of a bit more details and technicalities.

What about UM Mentor Multiverse?

This pairing synergizes exceptionally well, with the Mentor Multiverse adapting to the Code 24's signature while retaining its inherent versatility. The cable's warmth, bass, and airy treble perfectly complement the IEM's adaptability and detail. They paint an immersive soundscape with impactful bass, clear vocals, and shimmering highs. Technicality on a spot, rendering instruments with pinpoint precision and revealing hidden musical gems. This synergy isn't just compatibility, its bullseye shot.

IMG_0387.jpeg

Not everything is perfect... The synergy between them it’s great and remarkable, but MM stock cable still extract more light from this star. But again, costs double the price.

Beyond the ground and heading to the blue sky:

But like any design revolution, there are compromises. The Code 24, while shedding the Code 23's cumbersome armour, still retains a touch of stiffness and thickness, a serpent coiling around your body. Its ergonomics, though improved, it's still not malleable like Fusion 1's effortless shapeshifting as the best of the bunch. And while its balanced signature and extension are commendable, its neutrality may leave some hunger for the seductive smoothness of the Cardas Clear light, the unparalleled detail of the Cardas Clear, or the depth of the PW "Deep of the universe". All Copper cables that are well known by the community as providers of some smooth rides, but full of technicalities.

IMG_0431.jpeg

Technical pre-flight check:

Yet, the Code 24 remains a worthy power in this audio cable design revolution. Its technical capabilities shine through, quite well, but if that flight is enough, one has to decide. It paints the soundstage with good precision, layering instruments and vocals with accuracy, like Sepultura's intricate guitar riffs and Derrick's layered growls in "Bullet the Blue Sky." Imaging is sharp, placing every sonic element in its rightful place (As one would imagine the instruments placement would be :p), offering a holographic listening experience, like flying through the sky, like relativity law, it's all about reference.

IMG_0416.jpeg

Detail retrieval is definitely a step up from stock cables on A12t and LX, which I can clearly hear the guitars on top of drums and vocals. Drums and bass guitar being a hard one to separate all layers, but Code 24 does it without breaking a sweet. Not all is a perfect shot, in UM Mentor's case, which it's stock cable pairing is impressive. But if one wants a palate cleansing, Code 24 is a good contender.

Comparing the Code 24's audio impact as a clash of titans. With the Mentor Multiverse, it's a symbiotic dance, each element adapting and amplifying the other's strengths, but a clear downgrade from stock cable, depending on the preferences it can be a side grade. The A12T benefits from the added clarity and extensions, gaining clear vocals and an slightly detailed body. The LX plays on a different role as its main signature is focused on lower end, but that with the right cable it brings LX's great capabilities into the upper mids and treble, I can say that Code24 awoke that engine for sure.

Twisted Snakes fight:

The Fusion 1 boasts superior comfort, and its technical capabilities is still a step up on the Code 24's prowess. Not that Code 24 doesn't rock, just Fusion that is a remarkable cable and the pinnacle of Effect audio "single" core design.

The Cardas Clear, a well-known and regarded high-end reference, surpasses the Code 24 in overall refinement and smoothness. But costs twice the price. While the PW "Deep of the universe" goes more into the Code 24 bullet shot direction into the clarity treble, smooth low and spacious upper mids, they both still play in different leagues in the sense of price to performance race.

Revolutionaries with Reservations (preliminary final thoughts):

The Code 24's ergonomics, while improved, might still feel like a serpent's embrace for some. 16.5 AWG is not as thick as we think, as I said on Code 23 comments, when compared to other 4w and 8w cables. Code 24 with the split central core into 3 wires definitely makes a difference compared to Code 23.

But for those who value sonic rebellion and technical precision, its strengths outweigh its quirks. It's not for the faint of heart, nor the budget conscious. Talking about budget, Code 24 at $799 will have to fight a bit more for attention than Code 23 at $599. But for a good colour match, a nice SPC, a special sound signature…it's worth the shot.

IMG_0433.jpeg

If you're ready to unleash a sonic uprising and experience the potential of high-quality SPC cables, the Code 24 is your weapon. Just remember, not all rockets are comfortable, but the sonic victory may be worth the flight. So, raise your IEMs, and let the Code 24 rip through the air like a Bullet to the Blue Sky. Just be careful, your ears might never be the same.

I'm now with the thought at the back of my mind of how it would go as a headphone cable as how my Code 23 is now. I think it will be a great contender for lots of other well-known cables around.
So as much as I liked your writing in this review, do u still like the stock Mentor cable better? I was thinking about getting the Code 24 for my mentor and thought it may give a bit more airiness to the sound but from reading your review it doesn’t?

Jan 21, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #7,732 of 8,007
So as much as I liked your writing in this review, do u still like the stock Mentor cable better? I was thinking about getting the Code 24 for my mentor and thought it may give a bit more airiness to the sound but from reading your review it doesn’t?
Don't you think the Cleopatra II Octa is better for Mentor? I'm not sure so asking here..

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #7,733 of 8,007
Hello Friends,

Today I have the Effect Audio’s latest Code 24 and Code24C cables with me. They are sent to me by my dear friend @nihalsharma who got these prototypes from Effect Audio for an audition and stuff. These cables that are with me are simply prototypes and don’t reflect the final build of the cables. At the time of this impressions write-up, Code24C is available for like 500$ and Code24 is available for 800$.

Design and Build we can skip since these prototype cables don’t have any splitter or connector, we just got bare cables with 2-pin connectors and 4.4mm plugs. Although Code 24 is the thicker one of the two. It is similar to Code 23 but a bit softer. Code 23 had a lot of memory in comparison and was a little hard to deal with. No such issues with Code 24. Code 24C has a slimmer cable diameter in comparison. It is even more easier to manage while using(the Purple one is the 24C and the Blue one is 24).

Sonically, now sonically both the cables are extremely good, but each one of them has its own characteristics. Let’s dive deeper into that department.
1.jpg

Effect Audio Code 24C:-

Warm, this is the first impression that I get for Code 24C. This cable has a warm presentation. The bass get a noticeable boost with more slam and character. I tried it with the Hype 10(which is already quite solid in the bass) and the response was damn good. The slam is increased, and the overall presentation get a noticeable boost. It is not a bad kind of boost, but yeah it’s there. Code24C although has a bit of intimate staging, tried it with two IEMs, Hype10 and Nezha, both already have an intimate presentation, but they sounded a bit closer to me with the Code 24C.
2.jpg

Pros:-

>Adds a noticeable boost to the lower-end frequencies.

>Treble frequencies also feel a bit more refined.

>Midrange is transparent and doesn’t show much of a change with the cable.

>Slimmer than Code 24 and is easier to manage.

Cons:-

>Stage feels closed and intimate.
3.jpg

Effect Audio Code 24:-

This is the real deal, I am telling you guys, this cable is the real deal. This literally takes the performance of my Hype10 and Nezha up a mark. The Code24 has an open and transparent response. I don’t find it coloring the output in any way, I mean the original tone and timbre of the connected IEM are there but we have much more details(micro details basically), Bass sounds refined and clearer, basically the overall sound of the pair gets cleaner and crispier. With the Hype 10, this is probably the cable I enjoyed the most, The bass is tightly controlled, the midrange is smooth and accurate, and the treble frequencies feel more detailed and more open. These impressions are basically based on my usage with their respective stock cables.

Code 24 brings an open presentation, it doesn’t feel close or intimate as the Code 24C, in fact, I find the Code 24 to have a bigger and more open staging. With improved micro-details, Code 24 unleashes the full potential of my Hype10 here. My probable cons with the Code 24 would be its thickness (which is easily manageable thanks to the soft nature of the cable), and the price tag. Yeah, the cable is available for the same retail cost as my Hype10 here.
4.jpg

Pros:-

>Open, more details.

>Sound is lively and transparent.

>Refined throughout the frequency band.

>Reminds me greatly of PW Audio FTS Shielded with its openness in sound.

Cons:-

>PRICE(I would buy for myself but the price won’t allow me to).

>Thickness(although soft but still feels bulky).
6.jpg

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #7,734 of 8,007
I wish there was Code 23 with improved ergonomics but without any change in sound...🤤

I think that's a dream of some folks around here, for sure. But I think is a really hard one to achieve without that thick centre core. 🤷‍♂️

Don't you think the Cleopatra II Octa is better for Mentor? I'm not sure so asking here..
Both have good points. In my liking (smooth presentation) if I have to chose between stock, Code 24 and Cleo II octa. I’d still prefer Cleo II Octa. Even it being double the price of Code 24. It's versatility in sound and premium pack is hard to beat at that price.

Doesn't mean C24 is bad or you shouldn’t try or consider it, it’s a different presentation that can be easily perceived. So as I mentioned above, it can be a good palate cleanser or something different to hear depending on mood. C24 is still a good option. It will give you a bit more weight into the high mids. But looses a bit of definition and technicality that Mentor is known for. Some people actually thinks that is a good thing. Again, taste. :)

PS.: as you can see there, they look great together. :p

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #7,735 of 8,007
I think that's a dream of some folks around here, for sure. But I think is a really hard one to achieve without that thick centre code. 🤷‍♂️

Both have good points. In my liking (smooth presentation) if I have to chose between stock, Code 24 and Cleo II octa. I’d still prefer Cleo II Octa. Even it being double the price of Code 24. It's versatility in sound and premium pack is hard to beat at that price.

Doesn't mean C24 is bad or you shouldn’t try or consider it, it’s a different presentation that can be easily perceived. So as I mentioned above, it can be a good palate cleanser or something different to hear depending on mood. C24 is still a good option. It will give you a bit more weight into the high mids. But looses a bit of definition and technicality that Mentor is known for. Some people actually thinks that is a good thing. Again, taste. :)

PS.: as you can see there, they look great together. :p
Yes they do look great together…

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #7,736 of 8,007
My take on CODE 24 & 24C prototype cables :

Received these prototype cables from Effect Audio and thanks to @nihalsharma for sending them across for me to try.

Just to give some background, I for the most part believe that cables don’t completely alter the sound signature of an IEM/HP.

From my years of experience in car audio, I do however believe that purity of the copper/silver cores and good shielding does make a difference as the wires run for longer distances and it’s essential for better signal conductivity and eliminate any interference.

When it comes to personal audio, the cable of an IEM/HP doesn’t have to be as long as it has to be in car audio setup so I’ve always appreciated a cable that felt good to touch, no memory and microphonics and was of decent quality as I felt that there wouldn’t be much signal loss in the short distance.

Cable rolling wasn’t something that’s at the top of my list when I needed a change in sound and it still isn’t however my opinion changed when I set out to change the ageing stock cable of my Z1R. The stock Sony cable was not easily available for me to buy without jumping some hoops so I got a custom 4 core silver litz cable made and when I tried it, I hated how my Z1R sounded. It made the Z1R sound extremely thin and was brighter than ever. I was confused as to why this would be and did an A/B and compared the silver litz cable with the stock Sony cable. Lo and behold! there was a difference and a noticeable one at that.

I tested few other MMCX cables that I had and borrowed few other cables that were apparently a good match for Z1R and to cut the story short, I did hear a difference and there were few cables that improved few areas of the frequency range that I usually miss in Z1R and there were other cables that didn’t.

The reason for such a long preface is that I know there are few folks out there who do not believe in cables contributing to the sound of IEM/HPs and I urge you all to test different cables if you have the opportunity and you may find some difference in sound.

Coming back to my impressions of Code 24 & 24C cables, at the time of testing, I had no idea what the make of these cables was or any other details apart from the information that these are prototype cables in two different colours (Purple and Blue). So my impressions below are absolutely blind and not influenced by technical specifications and pricing.

IEMs I paired them with : Simgot EA1000 & MoonDrop Variations.

These being prototype cables with unfinished terminations, I cannot comment on the comfort of wearing them near the ear but I can definitely say that they were thicker than any other cable I’ve used and heavy too. Due to the ear loop not being completely formed, it was a struggle to test these cables and I had to wear a headband to keep them from pulling the IEMs out of my ear but the final product may have better or completely different ear loop design.

The cable was soft to touch and it was a pleasure to keep fiddling with them because I loved how the cable felt.

I cannot emphasise enough about the weight of these cables.

Purple Cable (Now I know it’s 24C) :

Results were fairly similar on both the IEMs

Mid forward vocals
Warmer sound
Deeper bass impact
Slightly better mid bass (EA1000)
Bass had good texture that I really liked.
Narrower stage width
Toned down the treble
Details are less noticeable.

One of the reasons why I love Variations is because how airy it sounds and the sub bass rumble. It although does not have my preferred sound signature and the mids are thin (I prefer some heft and note weight in mids) it still has a place in my collection for few genres I occasionally listened to.

24C brought the vocals slightly forward and added some heft to the mids which I absolutely loved and the bass impact was much more meaty but I felt the stage was a little closed in and it didn’t sound as airy. I honestly liked how 24C paired with Variations (as it fit my sound preferences)

EA1000 had better mid bass impact which I always felt was a little lacking in EA1000 with the stock 3.5mm cable but I didn’t like the fact that the already limited stage width almost completely collapsed.

Blue Cable (Now I know it’s 24):

Balanced sound
Better details
Slightly brighter
Noticeable increase in stage width
kept the mids as they are
More control over bass frequencies.

It definitely made variations sound more transparent and I felt it sounded tad bit brighter which I don’t usually prefer but the perceived level of detail did increase. I did however like the fact that it did not meddle with the sub bass rumble that I love in Variations and I felt it had more control over bass frequencies. I felt it tightened up the bass a little.

The pairing with EA1000 on the other hand was a pleasure to listen to. The stage was slightly wider and I felt it also had better control over imaging and the details were easier to notice as it was slightly more transparent sounding. It kept everything else that was good about the EA1000 intact.

Conclusion: I won’t be able to say one cable is better over the other as it depends on which IEM you’re pairing it and I still haven’t checked the pricing of these cables (now released) so it completely depends on your budget if you can afford to get these cables. Going by the pricing of their predecessor Code 23, I think they would be out of my budget but I honestly can say that if you can live with the physical attributes of these cables, they are definitely something worth considering as long as you get the pairing right.

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

IMG_1896.jpeg

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #7,737 of 8,007
I have the Ares S and like it but I am curious to know about the Ares S vs a couple other cables I am considering. One being the Moon Audio Bronze Cable and the other being the Eletech Azrael - obviously I'm looking to stay around the 200 dollar mark, or maybe up to 300.

I'm looking for which one adds the most warmth and smooths treble out between the three or any similarly priced copper cable.

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #7,738 of 8,007
I have the Ares S and like it but I am curious to know about the Ares S vs a couple other cables I am considering. One being the Moon Audio Bronze Cable and the other being the Eletech Azrael - obviously I'm looking to stay around the 200 dollar mark, or maybe up to 300.

I'm looking for which one adds the most warmth and smooths treble out between the three or any similarly priced copper cable.
I don't know either the Moon Audio Bronzee or the Eletech Azrael but you'd be hardpressed to find a better Copper under $200 than the Ares S. I spent a bit of time A/B between stock UM Indigo (PWA) Cable and Eros S - Eros S is a clear winner with the Indigo. A lot more clarity in the vocals mids are just more present but the bass is much tighter also with a little more impact. If youre will to go a little higher, like you say, just under $300 the Ares S 8W is outstanding.

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #7,739 of 8,007
Just want to give a shout out to the excellent customer care at EA. My Cleo II has a loose connection on the left channel where the wires terminate into the fixed end of the TermX connector. One email to EA and the the RMA was issued without question. So I asked if I could send my Cadmus in alongside to upgrade to 8W and the answer was YES. So 2 cables, 1 shipping charge and the Cleo is getting fixed while the Cadmus is getting upgraded. Thank You EA for being so easy to work with!

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #7,740 of 8,007
Finally my Christmas arrives in Chile. Awesome in every aspect. The portable case gift have a good construction and fits my DAP too.
20240123_094702.jpg
20240123_095127.jpg
20240123_095456.jpg
20240123_101326.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back