Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #7,441 of 8,006
So I just got the Cadmus 8W and I really didn’t like it with the 64 Audio Volur compared to the 64 Audio Premium Silver Cable ($500), it didn’t sound as detailed and the bass wasn’t so defined.

I then tried the Cadmus 8W with my U4s and the difference compared to the Cadmus 4W is quite evident. A nice improvement in sound.

However, even though I knew it was a thick cable from the photos and reviews, I didn’t expect it to be so thick… and it’s too heavy for me, it pulls down on my ears too much. So back to the 4W I go.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #7,442 of 8,006
So I just got the Cadmus 8W and I really didn’t like it with the 64 Audio Volur compared to the 64 Audio Premium Silver Cable ($500), it didn’t sound as detailed and the bass wasn’t so defined.

I then tried the Cadmus 8W with my U4s and the difference compared to the Cadmus 4W is quite evident. A nice improvement in sound.

However, even though I knew it was a thick cable from the photos and reviews, I didn’t expect it to be so thick… and it’s too heavy for me, it pulls down on my ears too much. So back to the 4W I go.
Should be an easy sale in the classifieds. Very popular cable.

Oct 15, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #7,443 of 8,006

So I read an older post by @jjxaker who had a similar issue with discomfort of the cable. I remoulded the head-shrink and it’s much better now 😀

Oct 16, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #7,444 of 8,006
DSC_0000_BURST20231010121732588~3.JPG
Its always amazing to me that a change of cable and source can reawaken my enjoyment for an iem the IMR acoustics EDP Ace just sings with this combination the bass drops just a bit lower the mids open up with just an incredible sense of staging and space between the instruments. I tried a few cable combinations and the Cadmus 8W was the only one to manage this. The Shanling H5 playing from onboard micro sd and the Effect Audio Cadmus 8w. Ignoring the absurdity that the cable cost more than the iem. My enjoyment of the combination is worth it to me.
Hey mate, I definitely feel you. I had so many good "re-in-love" situations with my A12t and LX recently due to cables or sources combinations. as you were asking before Ares S 8W is definitely part of my love list. it sounds great with most of the IEMs I tried. I may be suspect to say because I like lush and smooth sound, but Ares S does that without vailing much the top end, actually leaving it quite detailed. It's currently paired with LX. while Fusion 1 is paired with A12t.

12t_Fusion.jpg

Oct 17, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #7,445 of 8,006
Hey Guys,

For anyone who has a transparent sleeve copper cable or cable with copper content (doesn't matter if it plated), do be wary of its inevitable green oxidation which is a natural process. Use rubbing alcohol to wipe whole cable after each use and regularly put it in IEM dryer. For e.g., like this:

https://pacificears.com.au/product/sanidry-portable-uv-dryer/

Rest of the time, you can store it in airtight container with desiccant as well. This prevents the green oxidation. You can see on my cable on both sides on ear hooks and few cms below ear hooks. Its only little at the moment. If proper care is not taken, It can spread to whole cable.

Attachments

• IEM Cable.jpg
    IEM Cable.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #7,446 of 8,006
I'm quite smitten with Xe6 on Fusion1...which I'll be reviewing soon. I've also got Code23 in for review, and while I like C23 +Xe6, there's something about Fusion1 that trims the flab off Xe6's signature while still keeping intact it's warmth and smoothness. It's visual candy too fwiw.

PSX_20231017_163910.jpg

Oct 18, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #7,447 of 8,006
I'm quite smitten with Xe6 on Fusion1...which I'll be reviewing soon. I've also got Code23 in for review, and while I like C23 +Xe6, there's something about Fusion1 that trims the flab off Xe6's signature while still keeping intact it's warmth and smoothness. It's visual candy too fwiw.

PSX_20231017_163910.jpg
Which module are you using?

Oct 19, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #7,449 of 8,006
Just received the EA+hifigo Griffin cable which I bought because it was a cheaper way of getting a full set of conX and Term X with a decent cable. Got to say I'm very impressed with this cable it's hardly descernible from the Cadmus 8W In it's sound capabilities. There are slight differences but they match well with different iems. On the whole I do prefer the ergonomics of the Cadmus 8W (I like thick cables) but purely on a value for money basis the Griffin is superb

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #7,450 of 8,006
EA Fusion 1 - Australian tour impressions

Thanks to @Damz87 and @JordonEA for the opportunity to use demo the Fusion 1 for a couple of weeks.

After demoing the other three cables doing the rounds I was looking forward to trying this one out, I’ve recently bought the AK x VE Aura and I thought that this cable would look amazing with it (which it does).

I didn’t get the retail packaging with the tour unit, but the build of the cable is very similar to Code 23, anyone who wants a small cable should look elsewhere. That said, it’s certainly not as stiff as the Code23 and I could happily live with it.

Given the aesthetically pleasing match of Aura and Fusion 1 I tried it on those first, I actually preferred the stock cable after switching between the two a few times. The Fusion 1 didn’t sound bad, just moved it slightly away from what the stock delivers. EA created the stock cable for the Aura and based on this I think they got it right!

After that, I moved onto some others in my collection:

Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite: A revelation, the cable costs over three times what the IEM does, however the variance to stock is extremely obvious. Bass is elevated, and gains weight, which adds to the overall musicality of the IEM. With the stock cable I find the OL to be great with imaging, however on certain tracks everything can feel a bit disconnected. The Fusion 1 changes that completely. I’d pay double what I paid for the OL if they could pair it with something similar to this cable. A truly breathtaking variance over stock.

Fir Audio Kr5: Bass remained largely untouched (thankfully) - perhaps a little more refined, mids brought forward in the mix (maybe on par with the Eros S 1st Anniversary), with some more air up top. Overall a better experience than the stock cable, similar to Eros S that I generally use, however the improvement in the treble was better.

For fun, I got the Kiwi Ears Melody in the mail today, the stock cable on that IEM is possibly the worst I’ve experience so chucked the Fusion 1 on it after giving the stock a quick listen for comparisons sake. Improvements were extremely obvious as with the OL, bass is more controlled, mids are pushed forward a little with greater clarity, soundstage became a little bigger.

Overall I really enjoyed my time with the cable, it didn’t hit the mark I hoped it would with the Aura however that just comes down to synergy, and the Aura having a decent stock cable. When moving from poorer cables there is a marked improvement, it sounded like a very balanced cable across the spectrum to me, key points would be the great bass performance, forward mids, detailed treble with air. I particularly loved it with the Orchestra Lite, perhaps a good choice for all BA sets. If you’re in the market for a high end cable certainly add this to your shortlist. I would just caution to try and audition before purchasing, if I had bought this for my Aura I would have been a little disappointed (or convinced myself otherwise).

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #7,451 of 8,006
Hello guys and gals!!!

This weekend we are having the Australian Stereonet Audio Show and for the first time in ages we have a sector for Portable Audio with Minidisc representing our beloved area.

I did bring my Elysian Diva with my bespoke Cardas Clear Lite (aka PW 1960/August Fun) to the show and tried a few stuff with it and one thing that I really wanted to try was Chiron: Nova, since its release. I always had that thought that the extra VE Aura cable combined with Chiron would bring an amazing result.

Bear in my this is an Audio Show Floor and I had to listen much louder than usual, but the differences were noticeable.

Of course, I did put some of my prefered songs to get this pair grooving and myself, particularly when they're tasked with the challenging Pink Floyd's masterpiece, "Animals.". Here's how they shined, especially when linked with the robust and detailed Sony DMP-Z1.

Effect Audio Chiron Nova: Chiron Precision Meets Aura Power

Right off the "box", the Chiron Nova cable makes a substantial statement. Its build quality is impressive, hinting at its capability to handle some well-known classics. While playing the technically challenging progressive tunes of "Dogs," this cable distinguishes itself with clarity and vibrant dynamics that do justice to Gilmour's gritty guitar solos. The notes flow with smoothness but no distortion or overlap.

Integrating the Vision Ears Aura portion into the Chiron seems to refine these characteristics further. This combination particularly smoothens the sound, adding a layer of refinement to the textures, especially in the mid-range. It helps mitigate any potential harshness in the tracks, providing a more comfortable listening experience without sacrificing detail. This synergy eliminates any stridency without compromising the vivid details during the more turbulent passages of "Sheep."

The Synergistic Trio: Chiron Nova, Diva, and Sony DMP-Z1

When paired together with the Sony DMP-Z1 DAP, both the Chiron Nova and Diva seem to reach their full potential. The DMP-Z1’s superior, high-resolution acoustics animate "Pigs on the Wing", enhancing the soundstage and injecting an almost palpable sense of live performance into the mix.

The DMP-Z1, with its detailed and dynamic sound complements the Chiron Nova’s robustness and clear characteristics. It balances the sound, ensuring bass is tight and impactful without overshadowing the mids and highs, thus maintaining a coherent, unified sound profile.

Final Thoughts (kinda)

Chiron Nova and Elysian Audio Diva, especially when used with the Sony DMP-Z1, create an immersive and embracing audio experience. The Chiron Nova’s strength lies in its dynamic presentation and clarity, which, when combined with the Aura cable, provides a smoother, more musical sound. The Diva and it's price range, makes complex tracks more accessible.

Together, these elements resurrect "Animals" to life in a new, revealing manner. The experience got me smiling. Marked by clear instrument separation, nuanced musical textures, and a live stage/studio feel that is hard to replicate, especially for a non-live album.
PS.: I was so immersed, that I forgot to take a better picture....Sorry. :p

1697940699774.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #7,452 of 8,006
Since Michael said he has an adapter arriving now, I'm sure he is referring to their "Thor hammer" short right angled 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter, not a similar 2.5/3.5mm ddhifi is working on now as well. Thus, the difference will be connecting L+/R+/L-/R- from 4.4mm to 2.5mm without a ground. What this new EA and PWA adapters have is a more advanced design with additional separate 3.5mm connector just for the ground. So, audio signal diff pairs are connected to 2.5mm plug and ground goes to 3.5mm plug, plus there is internal shielding/isolation.

I actually have EA new adapter arriving today, depending on when DHL going to drop it off, so looking forward to test it.

Now, regarding the price and the discussion generated in EA announcement thread linked from the front page, yes, there are many different adapters. As someone mentioned in that thread, you can buy $9 pigtail 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter which going to "adapt" 4.4mm terminated cable to 2.5mm headphone jack. But that is the same as saying, you can buy $15k car and $115k car, the same functionality of a metal "box" on 4 wheel which can take you from point A to point B :) Yes, you can use either one to arrive to your destination but ride comfort and performance will be different :wink: And people who buy $15k car will think those who pay extra $100k are nuts and wasting their money. I'm not trying to justify the price or know the exact cost of material to justify the difference (especially since I already have been asked about EA vs PWA adapters), but when you are buying $9 adapter, by common sense it will probably cost half of that to make using 50 cent jack/plugs and cheap pieces of wire and lead solder. Versus something more high end using Pentaconn brand jacks and PSquare custom 2.5mm and 3.5mm plugs, along with custom housing, etc.

Regardless of what you believe in, we have a lot of options to choose from when it comes to audio gear and accessories, varying in performance and price. If you have 4.4mm cables and want to use it with your 2.5mm source, you can buy something cheap ($9 adapter) to get you to your destination. And if you spent $1k-$2k on your cable and $3.5k on your DAP, you have an option to buy premium component/design adapter priced up to $200 which could squeeze out maybe another 1% of performance by cutting EMI interference or quieting some background noise. It's all about options and what you can afford.
I’m a bit late to the party here… but wouldn’t the following device from ddhfi work exactly the same let’s say when connecting your SP2000 to an external portable amp ( Cayin C9) both “grounded” I would think they would perform the same exact function??

Attachments

• IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 25, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #7,453 of 8,006
just saw the halloween 13 nights of hi-fright event EA is doing. has anyone decided to upgrade their cables? feels exciting to mix and match the cables, wonder how the sound will change but it's sad that they don't have the option for eros s probably because it is already an 8wire... :weary:

Oct 26, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #7,454 of 8,006
just saw the halloween 13 nights of hi-fright event EA is doing. has anyone decided to upgrade their cables? feels exciting to mix and match the cables, wonder how the sound will change but it's sad that they don't have the option for eros s probably because it is already an 8wire... :weary:
I’m thinking really seriously to get Ares and Cadmus done. :)

I have been mentioning this here for ages… this two together has great potential, considering each one’s qualities.

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #7,455 of 8,006
I have got Leonidas 2 and Lionheart Bespoke 8 wire and it sounds fantastic with most IEMs. Sound is so holographic extending left and right and deep. Very immersive soundstage with very natural mids and vocals. Clarity is top notch as expected from Leonidas 2 along with sweet vocals from Lionheart.

Its great option provided by Effect Audio to customise and personalise sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back