Effect Audio cables thread
Aug 6, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #7,261 of 7,966

After months of work I've just completed the 2023 IEM cable shootout - 15 IEM cables (including 4 from Effect Audio) with awards & talking points. 😀

If you're interested in cables I invite you to read it here. Thank you to Effect Audio & @Damz87 for making the recent Effect Audio Australian cable tour a reality!
Well done Bosk, I know how much effort you put into the cable shootout & have been looking forward to it !
Let the reading commence…

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #7,262 of 7,966
Still super happy with my Code 23 with HE6SE <3

Attachments

• 20230806_201408.jpg
    20230806_201408.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 7, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #7,263 of 7,966
Aug 7, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #7,264 of 7,966
Does anyone have pictures of the u12t with the anniversary eros s? I am trying to decide whether to go with the og or the anniversary edition.

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #7,265 of 7,966
Hi.

To the European colleagues, or if there is any Spanish. How is the express shipping from the EA website in terms of customs? I fear customs. I have suffered from everything, from losses, delays due to vacations (last summer an IEM stayed for two months in a customs warehouse), blackmail from the transport companies that if you do not pay their abusive management fee, they return or destroy the package...

I bought my code23 through HifiGo because they have the service of taxes paid at origin, and thus avoid customs.

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #7,266 of 7,966
Hi.

To the European colleagues, or if there is any Spanish. How is the express shipping from the EA website in terms of customs? I fear customs. I have suffered from everything, from losses, delays due to vacations (last summer an IEM stayed for two months in a customs warehouse), blackmail from the transport companies that if you do not pay their abusive management fee, they return or destroy the package...

I bought my code23 through HifiGo because they have the service of taxes paid at origin, and thus avoid customs.
We are in the same boat regarding customs fee and VAT (France & Belgium).

I bought also products from Hifigo for the same reason.
Importing goods from USA and Asia is really a pain in the a** otherwise :rolling_eyes:

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #7,267 of 7,966
Hi.

I ordered from EA directly a few times.

Always had to provide invoice and proof of payment to the local customs office , digitally, and then paid import/custom fees on top of sale price.
I’m in Portugal.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #7,268 of 7,966
Does anyone have pictures of the u12t with the anniversary eros s? I am trying to decide whether to go with the og or the anniversary edition.
Anniversary edition is prettier either way. :)

Aug 8, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #7,269 of 7,966
We are in the same boat regarding customs fee and VAT (France & Belgium).

I bought also products from Hifigo for the same reason.
Importing goods from USA and Asia is really a pain in the a** otherwise :rolling_eyes:
Hi,

Same ... 🫣

In France for me so.... Hifigo too... 😉

It works fine 👍

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #7,270 of 7,966
So after a few more days of burn-in I would like to do a comparison mini review of the Eros S 1st AE.

I am still finding the 1st AE to be cleaner sounding than the OG Eros S mainly due to the smaller amount of diffusion in the background which I actually prefer but the two cables have the same DNA and I expect them to sound very very close in the end maybe after a month of use I guess?

Bass
In general it is a cable with more emphasis on the lower end than the upper end of the spectrum but it's never dark at all thanks to the use of mixed material. I find the bass to have great elasticity instead of a more blunt and direct impact presentation and it is on the slower side so giving a warmer feeling. Such presentation allows more width and depth to be created and I find it especially good for classical music like violin concerto. My favourite EDM music tracks also benefit from this kind of bass which are presented in a more relaxed yet fun and big sound.

Mids
The mids are not scooped nor bloated and work in harmony with the bass and the treble. I find it to be slightly more energetic in the middle-mids but still it's not enough to call it forward. The presentation is smooth as a result and never intrusive.

Treble
The treble has a rounder and smoother presentation supported by the wetter sound in the background overall and it is slightly not as pronunced as the bass. It is relaxed yet it responses very well to tracks with brighter instruments or sound effects but it is still a warm sound overall.

Staging, Imaging and Resolution
It is able to create an excellecnt sense of width and depth followed by height. When listening to live recording tracks, it is most obvious that the lower part of the spectrum is enlarged so creating a very good imaging and staging. However since the notes are rounder and slower so in this regard it is a tad behind the Fusion 1. Overall the frequencies work in harmony with a warm and smooth tone. It has great resolution but I find it to be more about a more relaxed and musical experience. And due to such characters it is a very versatile cable which I find it sounding good with any IEM and any kind of music.

VS other cables in the Signature Series (that I own :sweat_smile:)
Ares S

I always regard the Ares S as a standard benchmark cable in such price range. The most noticible difference I find between them is the size of the stage (this also depends on the stage information imprinted in the track, when comparing stage size it is much easier to tell the difference with live recordings). The Eros Ses simply have noticibly bigger stage. The Ares S on the other hand has a faster speed and a more holographic sound but the resolution falls behind with the background details harder to pick out.

Cadmus
The Cadmus has a very similar stage size as the Ares S so Eros Ses win here. The bottom end impact of the Cadmus is stronger and faster. Again, the background resolution is not as good but the Cadmus presents the notes faster and sharper and it's a cable packed with more fun factors. However It also has a bit less note weight so similar to the Ares S it sounds a bit more holographic.

Ares S 8W
The Ares S 8W is another benchmark cable I regard as but in a upper price range. In terms of stage size I find them to be presented similarly in size but in two vastly different ways. The Ares S 8W has more treble emephasis and the stage size is more focus on the upper end while the Eros S' stage is more created by the bottom end of the spectrum. Since we associate a bigger bottom end as a bigger foundation of the sound, so overall the Eros S actually has a bigger, warmer and more immersive stage. Again, I find this quality very good for classical music. In terms of resolution I find them to be similar and then the Ares S has a faster and dryer presentation.

To sum up, I find the Eros S 1st AE to be a great update of the original. It simply looks and feel nicer. Soundwise it's cleaner than the OG but I will update my review if I later find it to have undergone some changes in the sound.

Thank you @JordonEA for allowing me to participate in this review campaign again!

Is that real good there that inlay? :thinking:
Ok this is interesting :smirk: I am not hearing any change in the sound of the Eros S 1st AE yet and it is still cleaner than the OG. Maybe there is some dampening due to the new skin material so there is better control?

Aug 9, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #7,271 of 7,966
Okay, y'all weren't kidding when you said this might be a challenging cable to manage! The box weighed a ton foreshadowing what I would be dealing with inside...wow, I could kill someone with this thing! Burning in!
20230807_115236.jpg
20230808_115710.jpg

Yeah, it stands up on its own. Ergo nightmare!?

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #7,272 of 7,966
Okay, y'all weren't kidding when you said this might be a challenging cable to manage! The box weighed a ton foreshadowing what I would be dealing with inside...wow, I could kill someone with this thing! Burning in!
20230807_115236.jpg20230808_115710.jpg
Oh geez. I can hardly use my EVO10s now since they hardened noticeably above the splitter

Aug 9, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #7,273 of 7,966

Which... watch it is ? 😅😇😉

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #7,274 of 7,966
20230807_115236.jpg20230808_115710.jpg
Yikes! I placed an order for the Code 23 (and an Ares S 8W) so I guess this is a sign of things to come. How does it sound?

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #7,275 of 7,966

Users who are viewing this thread

Back