Effect Audio cables thread
May 14, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #5,836 of 7,904
Effect Audio Prototypes. #32 and #38
DSC09840.JPG

The two cables I am about to show here are two of the 3 prototypes that were given out to various headfiers for feedback and impressions of them. I would like to thank Effect Audio and Jordon for the opportunity to give my input on these new fandangled cables.
DSC09847.JPG

First there is cable #32.
This cable was the most unique from what I have read from others that got to participate. It seems to be the only one out of the 3 that is a full 8 cores of the stuff. Initially I thought this cable was a pure silver cable variety as it is more analytical in how it presents sound. I assumed it was pure silver. If anything it has to have silver in its cores just due to the sheer transparency of these cables. I got word that it is a hybrid cable of copper and silver.

The #32 cables threw me for a bit of a loop as I was going back and forth from my other pure silver cables comparing them. It is like pure silver in many ways. The 32 cable does not accentuate and or highlight bass and thicken mids like pure copper does, it tightens bass lines more so a lot like pure silver. Its focus is more upper mids and treble vs adding any warmth or a fuller body of sound just like pure silver. Again more silver in properties. What is apparent after using them on easily over a dozen IEMs. These are some of the most transparent cables I have ever had the opportunity to try out. If there was such a thing as an analytical cable. These would be it.
DSC09848.JPG

Details, imaging are enhanced especially around the upper mid region with an added width of stage. I noticed these cables do not enhance depth as much as I would have liked but more width of sound. Again going back to that idea of being more neutral analytical in sound shaping form. It increases the technicalities of earphones they are attached to. Tonality can change from a warmer to cooler tonality, from using this cable.

So if they enhance technical traits, lifting the tonality of a given IEM to be a bit on the brighter side. Then it dawned on me these would be a perfect match for more warm smooth, dark sounding IEMs. Yes it was one of those Aha moments you get when you figure out a puzzle of sorts. A sound puzzle. Where have I heard this presentation on a cable before? Hmm. The warmest sounding earphones I tested them on are the Shozy SCB2 or B2 it is called, the Sony Z5 via adapter, ISN EST50 and last but not least the Penon Volts.
DSC09839.JPG

So these cables are not a good match for earphones that are already highly detailed and has the descriptor of being analytical in the first place. Enhancing detail that is already detailed is a no no. Meaning it might be a bit too much. However, full bodied warmer sounding earphones. It brings such earphones into a completely different realm.
On the Shozy B2 which is tuned a bit like an ear bud. More bass mids than upper mids and treble, and L shaped signature. These are like a warm blanket on a cold winter's day. Full bodied and very musical. Adding the #32 cable on these enhances them to the point where they sound like A TOTL type dynamic earphone. No exaggeration.

Another Aha moment. The included cable on the Shozy SCB2 also happens to be a thinner 4 cored variety of a similar hybrid make up. It is mostly pure silver but with strands of crystal copper mixed in the weaves. This particular cable seems to be the closest to the #32 cable as any other cable I compared them to. The #32 cable having much more material vs the ISN SC4. The added clarity, stage, details and imaging was evident. So basically the #32 is like a premium version of the SC4 cable. Both showing very similar tonal character. Aha much like the SC4 cable this #32 has to be mostly pure silver as it shows much more characteristics of silver than copper exactly like the SC4.

Positives
- Premium build,
- Supple, ear hooks that form to your ears.
- Highly detailed reference level presentation,
- Enhances upper mids, treble
- Enhances clarity
- Enhances technicalities, wider stage, imaging, detail with a better sound separation.
- Matches well with dark, warm, smooth full bodied sounding earphones.
- Tightens bass notes- for non-emphasized bass fans. ( Could be good or bad)

Negatives
-Somewhat of a niche cable due to its highly analytical presentation
-will not match well with neutral bright, highly resolving or harmon based IEMs with much upper mid presence.
-Leans out lower mids presence and bass- is the reason why stage sounds enhanced,
-Clean sound signatures end up being brighter than they need to be.
-Not a good cable for bass fans. Not the most natural presentation for cable enhancement.
DSC09849.JPG

Overall, while #32 is one of those cables that will not match well with all types of earphones but when it does, it makes them sound on another level.

#32 cable certainly looks higher end, no question the build quality is top notch with some of the best hardware and materials in the industry. The cables are soft and supple which is excellent for a thicker cable build. These clearly show more silver traits in cable effects and will enhance detail and imaging of your earphone while adding a wider stage. The negatives are than they seem to need a thicker sounding warm profile for their full benefits to really enhance such signatures. These are the type of cables that non cable believers need to try out as these clearly make your earphones sound different. I think for enthusiasts that want something to offset the darkness and warmth of your earphones the #32 will work its magic on such earphones and show just how good those earphones can sound with the right matching cable.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #5,837 of 7,904
Effect Audio Prototype #38
DSC09843.JPG

Pure copper cables are a staple of a well designed IEM. I will be the first to admit that in the past I have been skeptical of the myriad of copper descriptors and purity rankings among the industry. I mean when a manufacturer says it is 6N or 5N or 4N or UPOCC or Crystal copper. What's the difference right? I suppose you gotta take their word on purity and their make up. Truth is, higher end copper cables serve a purpose in the industry and some of the very highest end copper cables end up costing more than gold plated silver cables.

Whatever the process may be to get a higher purity and or level of copper makes its way to some of the highest end earphones in the industry and the new #38 cable from Effect audio looks to be a new revision of their ARES II series of copper cables. Supposed to be priced similarly as well.
Looking upon the #38 cable is a 4 cored variety so I would assume when these cables will be available in the market they will have an 8 cored version which effectively will cost double. The #38 copper cables are the opposite of the #32 cables I previewed in what they do. These look like it is a weave of two types of copper or at least its litz structure. Don't know exactly the sound science behind this particular design but hey it looks like a newer type of copper cable as a result.
DSC09841.JPG

The workmanship of these cables need not to be mentioned as it has been covered extensively from others that has tried these or any Effect Audio cables. What separates Effect Audio cables is their use of some of the nicest looking/ premium accessories.

Being based on pure copper properties the #38 cable leans more on its influence for natural tonal qualities. You're a timbre head meaning you want the most natural sounding timbre for both vocals and instruments. These are the type of cables you want connected to your highest most resolving IEMS.

As I mentioned previously it is just my opinion based on more cable ownership than I would like to admit. Connecting a highly resolving pure silver type cable to a highly resolving IEM is like throwing gas on fire. You want to actually go the opposite of that. Peanut butter to Jelly. Yin and Yang. You want that opposite harmony to achieve best synergy for sound and here the #38 cable will match up well with analytical, highly detailed transparent IEMS. You want some smoothening of the edges if you will. All BA IEMs are notorious for having that “ BA timbre” You want to lessen that effect with a nicely resolving copper cable.

Taking something like Tansio Mirai Akiba which is a highly resolving hybrid and adding the prior #32 cable to it will yield a whole lot of ear fatigue pie. Matching a 7 Sonion BA+4Sonion EST IEM with the #38? Now we are talking. Absolute superb pairing on a flagship IEM of the caliber of the Akiba. Its dimensional and body of note seems to be enhanced, bass ability are as good as it gets using the #38 cable. Emphasis on natural, Musical in the right way.
DSC09838.JPG

Tansio Mirai earphones in general always have extended treble frequencies so I had to explore more of their earphones. The LANDs which is a Tribrid and the new Sands. The #38 cable presentation is consistent with the other Taniso Mirai earphones. These cables enhance musicality as a good copper cable should. These highly resolving IEMs I always thought did better with pure copper and the #38 has been a great match up. Now connecting them on the earphones the prior #32 cables match well with. Warm on warm just like bright connected to bright is never a good thing.

Pros
-Highly resolving copper cable,
-Spacious non restrictive sound enhancement.
-Musical adding a moderate body boost to the sound signature of any earphone it is attached to
-Bass lines gets a boost, Mids gets a slight boost, Clean in its treble presentation
-Dimensional in how it manipulates the mids. Adding a bit more depth
-Fluid and harmonious with analytical, bright neutral and or harmon based signatures
-Does not overly smooth out the treble.
-Clean and natural and well balanced presentation.
-Mostly versatile with a degree of synergy based on how colored or neutral your earphones' tuning is.

Cons
-Not 8 cores- which would add additional note weight and body
-Not the best matchup for warm, thick or dark sound signatures
-Not the most detailed presentation for cables. But this is not necessarily a con.
-Not revolutionary for copper sound.
DSC09845.JPG

Overall- Copper is analogous, smooth, musical. Emotive and grand in delivery and the #38 cables is all about presenting your earphones with a musical natural edge. It is an accomplished cable that will bring everything good about pure copper to the masses with an EA finish. It does not enhance the brightness of a given earphone but at the same time brings a more natural fluid flavor to your earphones. It is what you would expect a great copper cable should be but at the same time it is up against some very stiff competition on the express with vendors that offer very similar type cables at budget prices. These other cables that are cheaper claim to be of a certain level of purity and such but you have to wonder if all that purity claims and such are true.

But I do know Effect Audio is not going to cut corners for their cables in any way and perhaps that is what you're really paying for. The workmanship and materials and a bit of piece of mind. The #38 I can believe it is a highly resolving copper cable just by sheer virtue of testing them against some of my highest end copper cables, I can say without a doubt they are indeed a higher end copper offering. #38 turns out to be the more versatile cable vs the #32 cable. While the #32 enhances the sound of earphones more than the #38 copper cable. They require a certain type of signatures to synergize. But once they synergize you will most definitely benefit from their extremely resolving transparent tuning. As all good copper cables goes the #38 synergizes with more neutral brighter signatures as it cleans up a bit of glare from BA timbre and sounds more natural in the end. It has been fun testing out these cables. I will post more observations as I try out more earphones to match up with these cables. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #5,839 of 7,904
My impressions of Prototype 38

I have to say a big thank you to the Effect Audio crew for sending me this beautifully constructed cable, Prototype 38.

20220511_132221.jpg

My declaration: I do not attribute sonic properties to cables. Let us be clear, I am not saying cables do not have sonic attributes, no! What I am saying is that I do not hear it. That is not to say I doubt what anyone else hears. I cannot question what anyone hears. This is not intended to be one of those silly arguments we find elsewhere, just my take. Despite my declaration of my view on the sonic attributes of cables, the broad minded crew at Effect Audio sent me Prototype 38 anyway. Incredibly open minded folks!

Thankfully, we have a highly subjective hobby and long may it remain so. Quite apart from our huge range of choices in music, we get all sorts of variations in recording methods at the production stage, then the chain of gear, before eventually playback. Who am I to question what anyone else hears?

I love cables for aesthetics, if, one day in the future, I do discover the sonic attributes of cables, believe me, I would be delighted.

Now to Prototype 38, a 4 strand copper cable, beautifully designed and constructed.

20220511_131703.jpg

The copper cable has clear transparent sheathing on each of the four strands which are then woven. It has a solid 4.4mm plug (as requested). The cable is chunky, but not excessively so, given its chain-like weave, but it flows well. It is not as soft as other cables I have seen but that could be down to the chain-like weave.

20220511_131327.jpg

Mid cable, there is a solid chrome plated metal splitter with carbon fibre inlay matching the style of the plug. The splitter has a small but highly effective chrome plated slider, almost unnoticeable, yet when you slide it in place it remains resolutely in place. I have seen many slider which are impossible to slide, and those which do slide but that is all they do, they just do not maintain their position.

After the splitter you have the four strands split in two, with each of the two strands twisted rather than woven. There is a generous shrink wrap leading to a chrome plated tube housing with a rectangular plastic support (for recessed IEM connections) terminating in gold two-pin connection.

20220511_131238.jpg

All I can say is, Prototype 38 is a just reassuringly solidly constructed beauty!

Enjoy your music.

May 15, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #5,840 of 7,904
@deafenears there24AWG for prototype 37 and 38 I’m not sure the AWG of 32 maybe 26AWG hopefully someone else can confirm this?

With so many excellent reviews and thoughts posted everyone seems really impressed by them going be interesting to see which one make it to production.
I want to thank effect audio for the opportunity to test these prototypes. Compared some of the other tester I’m more of a mid level consumer than a well versed reviewer. I think that was smart of them to get opinions from people with different level of experience.

I feel these cables are going be priced at a level that will appeal to people like me. Honestly I don’t see myself spending $1000,s of dollars on a cable. At the same time I want to get the best sound possible with the Mest MKii. I tried many different cables and always return to the stock cable. Prototype 37 really works excellent in my system, I could see myself buying either the 4 wire or maybe the 8 wire depending on price.

Listened to couple other copper cable and then gave prototype 38 another listen. I have to say it’s signature has grown on me, it has around 20 hours on it now. I also listened to it without the tube amp and impressions are much more positive. It’s a tends to bring out the lower end and the tubes with it are too much. Going listen to it on my portable setup have a feeling it work even better for me in that setup.

Without tubes involved the bass is more balanced sounding instead of overwhelming. The midrange is more natural and a better presence now. Well listening to classic rock this cable sound really shine’s with it. Some of the recordings of older classic rock pushed voice forward and 38 balanced out the sound and helped on the high end to mellowing things out.

Reading my initial thoughts I feel it might have come across as I had dislike this cable. So wanted to add some addition thoughts on it now that I spent more time and tried different gear with it. In a warm system I wouldn’t recommend it but would if system was more bright sounding it worth checking out. Should have more thoughts once I try other gear with this cable.

I was thinking of possible reason to use different wire type with prototype 38. In a balanced Cable each channel uses two signals with opposite polarities, meaning a negative and positive signal. My thoughts is that they found using a different wire type for the positive polarity and negative polarity improves the signal that might add improvements in sound?

Love to hear other thoughts on why affect audio used different wire strand size on prototype 38?

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #5,841 of 7,904
If anyone has the NF Audio NM2+, try Prototype 38. They make a perfect pair IMHO.
Prototype 37 pairs very very well with Tripowin Olina on the other hand. Interestingly P37 + Olina sounds a lot more 3D compared to P38 + Olina. Bass response is also a lot better almost at basshead level.

And both P37 and P38 sound very good with Variations. P38 + Variations get a very dark background with a very good sense of deep stage, while P37 + Variations get you more excitment and deeper bass.

BQEYZ Autumn, NF Audio NA2+ don't match with either cable thou.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #5,842 of 7,904
I ideally want to give them another two days to burn
Going continue to burn it in more

Yeap, do give some time for them to open up! 🙌🏽

I want to thank effect audio for the opportunity to test these prototypes. Compared some of the other tester I’m more of a mid level consumer than a well versed reviewer.

You're welcome! We are glad to have more people join in and have fun with our prototype cables!

Prototype 38 is a just reassuringly solidly constructed beauty
Thanks! The secret recipe is love and some magic 😉

- Jordon

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
May 17, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #5,843 of 7,904
If anyone has the NF Audio NM2+, try Prototype 38. They make a perfect pair IMHO.
Prototype 37 pairs very very well with Tripowin Olina on the other hand. Interestingly P37 + Olina sounds a lot more 3D compared to P38 + Olina. Bass response is also a lot better almost at basshead level.

And both P37 and P38 sound very good with Variations. P38 + Variations get a very dark background with a very good sense of deep stage, while P37 + Variations get you more excitment and deeper bass.

So you are hearing stronger bass with 37 (silver) than 38 (copper)?

May 17, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #5,844 of 7,904
I finally got some "free" time today to play around with EA prototype cables and, for today, I settled down with LX + P38.

LX is known for it's lower end to shake your skull when needed, once a dream for DD lovers, before even the idea of Bone Conduction Drivers. As tech advances the later drivers are almost taking over this post from LX of skull shaker. But I still love the LX and would still prefer it over many other recent releases. What not many people know is that LX can also be a master in the upper mids and highs technicalities if you don't overload it with low end songs...

All in all...I felt today was a good day for some Black Metal and I'm actually rediscovering the LX with the P38, which gave it a nice and extended soundstage. Controlled and extended rumble down the frequency curve. This control is something many have wanted or complained about the LX. I also got more details, separation and imaging on the upper range. As I mentioned before, the P38 brought a balance to the LX that is really enjoyable compared to the stock cable. (All of that compared to, what is supposed to P38 be replacing, Ares II)

The low end details and extension I am getting on this pairing is bringing smiles to every new song popping up.

Sample of today's playlist.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #5,845 of 7,904

Totally agree with you on sound improvements you hear with the moondrop variations. The variations work excellent with EDM music. P37 work especially well when listening with this style of music thru the tubes. Direct connection to the Shanling M6 pro 21 sounded better when using P38 with P37 the upper end was slightly bright for my taste.

The variations have been outa rotation for the past few months. I feel if they where used more with P37 my brain would adjusted to the treble increase and they wouldn’t sound as bright.
Maybe bright might not be the correct term since it’s more of a increase in upper end presence. It wasn’t Piercing or shrill just has less of the roll off of the treble than I’m become accustomed to with tubes.

Currently have around 50 hours of burn in on P38 it’s sounds better than my initial impression of it. Overall I still feel P37 is my favorite.
It really comes down to the pairing and type of music used with each cable. On system like iPhone and apple dongle I lean more towards P38, but with my home tube setup I prefer P37. Considering both cables are of excellent quality it really again comes down to the rest of the gear your using with them. Of course the price point will factor into my decision on there value vs another cable that’s in the same price range.

It’s been a fun experience for me to be involved in this testing. It gave me a better understanding/appreciation on what the experienced reviewers consider before they express there thoughts. Most of mine where based on comparing prototype to my limited number of sources and cable’s along with the sound signature I enjoy.
It’s a bit different than the ability to express a review based on just a product sound quality without adding personally bias to the review.(hope this made sorta sense).

Considering everyone hears sound differently reading others views that also coincides with changes I’m hearing is interesting. Being part of this test group has increased my feeling that the reviewers I already trusted are doing reviews with the mindset to help others instead of just to shill a product.
As a consumer I wanted to express my thanks for all the work you guys do for the headfi community.
It’s still up in the air if you guys saved me from wasting money or have lead me to spending more. In all honestly it’s a bit of both.

May 17, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #5,846 of 7,904
In the spirit of paying it forward, and as a small token of my gratitude to Effect Audio for allowing me the privilege of reviewing these two cables, I am going to happily forward the Prototype 38 (copper) cable to the first person to PM me their shipping address (within the continental USA) so they can evaluate and review this cable as well. No charge.

I am going to hang onto cable #37 for at least a while longer. It's not going anywhere just yet.

Thanks!

EDIT: Cable has been spoken for. Hope the new owner enjoys it and provides a thorough review.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #5,847 of 7,904
So you are hearing stronger bass with 37 (silver) than 38 (copper)?
It depends on the IEM. I tested deliberately with NF Audio NM2+ and NA2+ which are meant to have the same drivers but different resistance (16 vs 32 ohms).

In terms of bass,
NM2+ + P38 > NM2+ + P37
NA2+ + P37 > NA2+ + P38
NA2+ + P37 > NM2+ + P38

It confirms that the P38 has better bass extension so more sub- bass and P37 can be more bassy than P38 (bass only, not sub-bass but depending on the IEM).

And seriously P38 + NM2+ sound really good.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #5,848 of 7,904
P37 and P38 have now had 100 hours of burn in. I had a few listens along the way and this evening I thought that the P38 felt really musical and I was getting quite a holographic feeling where the sounds seemed to be coming from all around me. This sound and feeling was from my burn in set up, which was - Blon BL03 > P38 > 4.4mm to 3.5mm > iPhone 6 Max > iTunes ALAC. So I’m thinking, if I can get such an enjoyable sound from that set up, what will it be like when I try the cable with my other gear? I will find out soon enough. I think it would be fair to say that my favourite right now is the P38, but that might all be set to change when I introduce both it and the P37 to different IEMs and a different source.

May 17, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #5,849 of 7,904
Totally agree with you on sound improvements you hear with the moondrop variations. The variations work excellent with EDM music. P37 work especially well when listening with this style of music thru the tubes. Direct connection to the Shanling M6 pro 21 sounded better when using P38 with P37 the upper end was slightly bright for my taste.

The variations have been outa rotation for the past few months. I feel if they where used more with P37 my brain would adjusted to the treble increase and they wouldn’t sound as bright.
Maybe bright might not be the correct term since it’s more of a increase in upper end presence. It wasn’t Piercing or shrill just has less of the roll off of the treble than I’m become accustomed to with tubes.

Currently have around 50 hours of burn in on P38 it’s sounds better than my initial impression of it. Overall I still feel P37 is my favorite.
It really comes down to the pairing and type of music used with each cable. On system like iPhone and apple dongle I lean more towards P38, but with my home tube setup I prefer P37. Considering both cables are of excellent quality it really again comes down to the rest of the gear your using with them. Of course the price point will factor into my decision on there value vs another cable that’s in the same price range.
I initially thought that P38 has better overall quality due to the better extensions, less colouration and darker background but pairing the P37 with the Variations changed my mind. Which cable is better really depends on the set.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #5,850 of 7,904
It depends on the IEM. I tested deliberately with NF Audio NM2+ and NA2+ which are meant to have the same drivers but different resistance (16 vs 32 ohms).

In terms of bass,
NM2+ + P38 > NM2+ + P37
NA2+ + P37 > NA2+ + P38
NA2+ + P37 > NM2+ + P38

It confirms that the P38 has better bass extension so more sub- bass and P37 can be more bassy than P38 (bass only, not sub-bass but depending on the IEM).

And seriously P38 + NM2+ sound really good.
Interesting how that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back