Effect Audio cables thread
Mar 13, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #4,381 of 7,919
Just to mention, I did go to their website to check before I posted.
I read that exact description too, but it occurred to me that a silver plated copper cable (SPC) could also be described as being made of "ultra-purity OCC pure copper and pure silver materials". Since both materials are genuinely involved in the construction of an SPC cable too.

So it doesn't necessarily confirm that either of us is right or wrong I suppose :)

Also, when posting on here, it can be hard to convey the spirit in which my comments were intended.
The thought about SPC just occurred to me and I thought it might be helpful to seek clarification.
It's not in any way intended as a criticism of Headfonia's review, which was both in-depth and helpful :)
EA's description is quite vague, if you ask me. I kind of still think it is spc, because of the pricing.

Mar 17, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #4,382 of 7,919
Just to mention, I did go to their website to check before I posted.
I read that exact description too, but it occurred to me that a silver plated copper cable (SPC) could also be described as being made of "ultra-purity OCC pure copper and pure silver materials". Since both materials are genuinely involved in the construction of an SPC cable too.

So it doesn't necessarily confirm that either of us is right or wrong I suppose :)

Also, when posting on here, it can be hard to convey the spirit in which my comments were intended.
The thought about SPC just occurred to me and I thought it might be helpful to seek clarification.
It's not in any way intended as a criticism of Headfonia's review, which was both in-depth and helpful :)

Hopefully my answer is official:) Grandioso is made of OCC Pure Copper and OCC Pure Silver Material. SPC material will not be described as Pure Silver material, at least not from EA :)

EA's description is quite vague, if you ask me. I kind of still think it is spc, because of the pricing.

Haha its hard to believe a 7N OCC Copper + 5N OCC Silver hybrid cable just costs $199 right? This is what Grandioso made of:)

Last edited:
Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Mar 17, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #4,383 of 7,919
Hopefully my answer is official:) Grandioso is made of OCC Pure Copper and OCC Pure Silver Material. SPC material will not be described as Pure Silver material, at least not from EA :)

Haha its hard to believe a 7N OCC Copper + 5N OCC Silver hybrid cable just costs $199 right? This is what Grandioso made of:)
Thanks for clearing that up. That description makes more sense.

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #4,384 of 7,919
SPC material will not be described as Pure Silver material, at least not from EA :)

This is one of the reasons why the EA brand is so highly regarded. Many thanks @Suyang for the clarification :)

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #4,385 of 7,919
Has anyone had an issue with their LEO II cables? My right channel has stopped working completely, and the left channel seems to be on a similar path to not working. It did something like this a while back but started working again. . . now it just isn't working. . . hasn't been working for the last two weeks. . . anyone with similar problem?

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #4,386 of 7,919
Has anyone had an issue with their LEO II cables? My right channel has stopped working completely, and the left channel seems to be on a similar path to not working. It did something like this a while back but started working again. . . now it just isn't working. . . hasn't been working for the last two weeks. . . anyone with similar problem?

Did you check the audio jack connector? The barrel should just unscrew and you can see if any of the wires are losing contact with the metal contacts inside.

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #4,387 of 7,919
Did you check the audio jack connector? The barrel should just unscrew and you can see if any of the wires are losing contact with the metal contacts inside.

How would I even fix it if that is the case? I believe the insulation sleeve runs all the way to the end...?

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #4,388 of 7,919
How would I even fix it if that is the case? I believe the insulation sleeve runs all the way to the end...?

If channels are cutting out, the most probable cause is the connector (provided there is nothing wrong with your music player). The audio jack connector is more likely than the IEM connectors because there is more strain on it. It's worth examining it yourself.

If you unscrew the barrel on that connector you'll see that the insulation goes to the bare solder contacts. Take a close look at the connections under good light and a magnifying glass if you have one. If you don't have a glass just use your phone's camera and get in close as you can without losing focus.

If you don't see anything, you could–gently–pull on those points of contact. If they're solid you won't do any damage at all. If a wire comes loose with a little tug, it was going to come off all on its own. You've found your problem.

If this is the issue, the fix is simple. Unfortunately, this is not something you can do unless you're comfortable with fine soldering work. One option would be to send it back to EA. I'm sure they would be happy to take care of you, but with the current situation, I think you would be looking at a long turn around time. The better option would be to spend a little money and get it resoldered locally. There are many gadget repair shops that work on phones and laptops (e.g., ubreakifix) and guitar repair shops (e.g., guitarworks), The job is so simple any one of them could do it for you cheap and quick.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #4,389 of 7,919
If channels are cutting out, the most probable cause is the connector (provided there is nothing wrong with your music player). The audio jack connector is more likely than the IEM connectors because there is more strain on it. It's worth examining it yourself.

If you unscrew the barrel on that connector you'll see that the insulation goes to the bare solder contacts. Take a close look at the connections under good light and a magnifying glass if you have one. If you don't have a glass just use your phone's camera and get in close as you can without losing focus.

If you don't see anything, you could–gently–pull on those points of contact. If they're solid you won't do any damage at all. If a wire comes loose with a little tug, it was going to come off all on its own. You've found your problem.

If this is the issue, the fix is simple. Unfortunately, this is not something you can do unless you're comfortable with fine soldering work. One option would be to send it back to EA. I'm sure they would be happy to take care of you, but with the current situation, I think you would be looking at a long turn around time. The better option would be to spend a little money and get it resoldered locally. There are many gadget repair shops that work on phones and laptops (e.g., ubreakifix) and guitar repair shops (e.g., guitarworks), The job is so simple any one of them could do it for you cheap and quick.

SNAP... I’ll try and see if I can take a look at it... thank you mucho mucho!!

So.... I took a look at the connections... 4 wires should have four solder contact points right?... I only counted three to the 2.5mm contact point but couldn’t find the fourth one..the fourth wire seemed to not be connected to anything at the bottom of the whole unit, but not sure if that means anything... :thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #4,390 of 7,919
SNAP... I’ll try and see if I can take a look at it... thank you mucho mucho!!

So.... I took a look at the connections... 4 wires should have four solder contact points right?... I only counted three to the 2.5mm contact point but couldn’t find the fourth one..the fourth wire seemed to not be connected to anything at the bottom of the whole unit, but not sure if that means anything... :thinking:

Okay, since you're running 2.5mm balanced, all four wires–must–be connected. The two contacts I circled in red are the right channel. If one of them is not connected, that is the problem. The other contact and the long terminal on the bottom are the left channel contacts.

If this is the problem it is an easy fix as I said. Take it to one of this repair places and have them check all the connections.

I do have to say though, if this is the issue, you have to look at what is causing so much strain on your wires. It is no easy to pull one of these connections loose.

Hope this helps and you can get it fixed quickly. I know how frustrating it is to be without your favorite gear.
50PCS-2-5mm-Stereo-4-Pole-Repair-Headphone-Plug-Cable-Audio-Solder-DIY-CONNECTOR.jpg

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #4,391 of 7,919
dhl.jpg

ANNOUNCEMENT: CHANGES/UPGRADES TO SHIPMENT METHODS (EA ONLINE CUSTOMERS)

Dear Effect Audio Customers,

Due to the current Covid-19 situation, we’ve been encountering problems in terms of parcel delivery via normal shipping to certain countries. Parcels delivered to affected countries by normal shipping are said to be delayed due to the prevailing circumstances.

In order to resolve this issue and minimise the disruptions to all of our customers, Effect Audio shall be upgrading all of our shipping deliveries to express courier shipping (eg. DHL/FedEX/UPS,etc.) worldwide to any of our customer whose order has yet to been shipped. The delivery fees charged by Effect Audio shall remain the same at a flat USD 9.95 irregardless of whichever part of the world the parcel is sent to, in spite of this upgrade. The difference in cost shall be borne by Effect Audio as a service to our customers who are affected.

Moreover, Effect Audio strongly care about providing as safe an environment as possible for our customers, and that by arranging these express door-to-door delivery would allow our customers to receive their product in a quick manner while being able to enjoy their Effect Audio products in the safe and comfortable environment of their own home.

This arrangement is to stay indefinitely until further notice, and may change as the situation develops. In the meantime, we hope everyone stays safe and healthy as we ride through this situation hand-in-hand together.

NOTE: This announcement is only applicable for EA online customers. This shipping arrangement does not apply to the following countries/areas:

Mainland China
Taiwan
Hong Kong
South Korea

Mar 20, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #4,392 of 7,919
I posted earlier about replacing the IEM connectors on an EA Horus because of the possibility that the conductor material was bronze or brass. There was an old post that stated that the pins were brass.

I got confirmation from @Nick Chia that the conductor material is in fact copper. This is a good thing as copper is a superior metal for the conductors.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #4,393 of 7,919
Okay, since you're running 2.5mm balanced, all four wires–must–be connected. The two contacts I circled in red are the right channel. If one of them is not connected, that is the problem. The other contact and the long terminal on the bottom are the left channel contacts.

If this is the problem it is an easy fix as I said. Take it to one of this repair places and have them check all the connections.

I do have to say though, if this is the issue, you have to look at what is causing so much strain on your wires. It is no easy to pull one of these connections loose.

Hope this helps and you can get it fixed quickly. I know how frustrating it is to be without your favorite gear.
50PCS-2-5mm-Stereo-4-Pole-Repair-Headphone-Plug-Cable-Audio-Solder-DIY-CONNECTOR.jpg

Easy fix yes . . . but I believe I'd rather send it back to Effect Audio to check. . . even if it means going without it for some time. . . :sweat: @Nick Chia or @Paul Zhang any idea how I can go about doing this considering all that is going on right now in the world please? My cable is labeled as number 077, so it is one of the earlier made cables. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #4,394 of 7,919
Easy fix yes . . . but I believe I'd rather send it back to Effect Audio to check. . . even if it means going without it for some time. . . :sweat: @Nick Chia or @Paul Zhang any idea how I can go about doing this considering all that is going on right now in the world please? My cable is labeled as number 077, so it is one of the earlier made cables. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi there,

You may send the cable back to us for a check and we will advise accordingly if any repair is required (along with the charges). You would have to arrange for your own shipping for the cable to be sent to us though, or if you're willing to pay for the service, we could arrange for an express courier service to do a two-way pick up and delivery as well to Singapore and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back