Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 27, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,096 of 7,925
I'm wondering:

All of Mars, Leonidas and Horus are gold plated silver. So where the difference lies, in terms of technicalities and sound signature?

Well, technically speaking, only the Mars and Horus are gold-plated silver. The Leonidas is a gold-silver hybrid. The Horus is a successor to the Mars with EA's multi-size-strand technology (where the strands within each wire are different sizes) among other improvements. Based on my experience, the Mars is actually more similar to the Leo than it is to the Horus. Both have a rather full-bodied sound with a rumbly bass response, rich lower midrange, sparkly upper midrange, and smooth treble. However, where the Mars differs from the Leo is in the upper registers. The Mars carries more energy and extends further in the treble, where it is noticeably more transparent than the Leo. The Horus on the other hand, is technically far superior to either cable and carries a sound signature that's closer to neutral than it is to natural. The Horus has an accentuated bass response with gorgeous physicality and texture, with layering, depth and rumble that neither of its brethren can touch. Its midrange is leaner and more crisp, providing superior clarity and transparency at the cost of pure naturalness; it relies on the IEM having a natural midrange to compensate for this. The Horus's treble is insanely resolving, unrivalled in extension, yet smooth as a baby's bottom as well. As I said in my Horus impressions, its treble reminds me of the A18's treble, where it's extremely airy, clean, clear, crisp and extended, yet never harsh, unpleasant or strident.

Unfortunately, this is all I'm able to share based on memory, as I don't have either of these cables within my immediate vicinity. But, I hope these impressions can at least give you an idea of what each of them can do for your IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #1,097 of 7,925
Patiently waiting for the reviews of the Horus to come in before deciding which cable I'm going to pair with my WM1Z/W80's :L3000:
The WM1Z with W80's sounds like an excellent pairing! I have been hoping to demo the W80 (and W60) at some point. I sort of ignored Westone for a while because of the way they are built, it always looks as if it is cheap, but after reading Twister6's reviews I believe I have underestimated the advantages of the light but sturdy build quality and as a consequence missed the quality sound that Westone has. Live and learn! :wink:

I only heard Horus briefly at a show, but remember it to have been very dynamic while still maintaining exceptional clarity. From the first impressions I have heard of the reviewers, terms like "rich", "clear" and "natural" are characteristic of Horus. But the wait for the reviews should not be long now. Really looking forward to that myself! In the meantime, Deezel's impressions are really helpful to sooth the need for information about Horus. :D
Well, technically speaking, only the Mars and Horus are gold-plated silver. The Leonidas is a gold-silver hybrid. The Horus is a successor to the Mars with EA's multi-size-strand technology (where the strands within each wire are different sizes) among other improvements. Based on my experience, the Mars is actually more similar to the Leo than it is to the Horus. Both have a rather full-bodied sound with a rumbly bass response, rich lower midrange, sparkly upper midrange, and smooth treble. However, where the Mars differs from the Leo is in the upper registers. The Mars carries more energy and extends further in the treble, where it is noticeably more transparent than the Leo. The Horus on the other hand, is technically far superior to either cable and carries a sound signature that's closer to neutral than it is to natural. The Horus has an accentuated bass response with gorgeous physicality and texture, with layering, depth and rumble that neither of its brethren can touch. Its midrange is leaner and more crisp, providing superior clarity and transparency at the cost of pure naturalness; it relies on the IEM having a natural midrange to compensate for this. The Horus's treble is insanely resolving, unrivalled in extension, yet smooth as a baby's bottom as well. As I said in my Horus impressions, its treble reminds me of the A18's treble, where it's extremely airy, clean, clear, crisp and extended, yet never harsh, unpleasant or strident.

Unfortunately, this is all I'm able to share based on memory, as I don't have either of these cables within my immediate vicinity. But, I hope these impressions can at least give you an idea of what each of them can do for your IEMs.
Man, you consistently impress me with your memory of demos you did! It is a really excellent description of Horus, but I could not replicate that based on my own demo. I can just recognise it. Do you have a secret black book with notes of everything you demo? :wink:

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #1,098 of 7,925
The WM1Z with W80's sounds like an excellent pairing! I have been hoping to demo the W80 (and W60) at some point. I sort of ignored Westone for a while because of the way they are built, it always looks as if it is cheap, but after reading Twister6's reviews I believe I have underestimated the advantages of the light but sturdy build quality and as a consequence missed the quality sound that Westone has. Live and learn! :wink:

I only heard Horus briefly at a show, but remember it to have been very dynamic while still maintaining exceptional clarity. From the first impressions I have heard of the reviewers, terms like "rich", "clear" and "natural" are characteristic of Horus. But the wait for the reviews should not be long now. Really looking forward to that myself! In the meantime, Deezel's impressions are really helpful to sooth the need for information about Horus. :D

Man, you consistently impress me with your memory of demos you did! It is a really excellent description of Horus, but I could not replicate that based on my own demo. I can just recognise it. Do you have a secret black book with notes of everything you demo? :wink:

Thanks man! :D To be honest, I do take notes sometimes when there's an important sonic aspect I wanna make sure I don't forget, but I can usually retain signatures and frequency responses pretty well without them.

I think it comes from what I perceive to be slight synesthesia, where I associate sounds with colours, textures and images so they become easier to recall. But, I'm no scientist, so I may be overexaggerating here. :p

In fact, this will be pretty prevalent in my upcoming review, where the CIEM in question produces sound that's driven more by texture and energy than by colour, tone or melody. I've been trying my best to find the objective cause behind this trait, but it's been quite the challenge. :D

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #1,099 of 7,925
Thanks man! :D To be honest, I do take notes sometimes when there's an important sonic aspect I wanna make sure I don't forget, but I can usually retain signatures and frequency responses pretty well without them.

I think it comes from what I perceive to be slight synesthesia, where I associate sounds with colours, textures and images so they become easier to recall. But, I'm no scientist, so I may be overexaggerating here. :p

In fact, this will be pretty prevalent in my upcoming review, where the CIEM in question produces sound that's driven more by texture and energy than by colour, tone or melody. I've been trying my best to find the objective cause behind this trait, but it's been quite the challenge. :D
That is really interesting! I never really thought about the colours when visualising music, but I guess that I do that too to some extent, and a strong visual image is indeed easier to remember. It seems like you can build up that image really quickly (based on a relatively brief demo).

I visualise music in much the same way as the drawings Nic used for his shootout. It starts with a black background from which slowly the image starts to emerge. I can see the notes and if the sound is realistic enough, the instruments, their size and positioning relative to each other. With classical music the image becomes very complex and takes a bit longer for me to construct, but eventually it is like I am sitting at a certain venue, perhaps a concert hall, a certain distance away from the orchestra and I can see the individual instruments and how they work together. The funny thing is that I did not realise until you spoke of colour that I somehow also construct the lighting of the venue and the general atmosphere and give that something like a colour filter. That's interesting, need to be more aware of that and see what it tells me!

Now I am very curious to read your next review! :D

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #1,100 of 7,925
That is really interesting! I never really thought about the colours when visualising music, but I guess that I do that too to some extent, and a strong visual image is indeed easier to remember. It seems like you can build up that image really quickly (based on a relatively brief demo).

I visualise music in much the same way as the drawings Nic used for his shootout. It starts with a black background from which slowly the image starts to emerge. I can see the notes and if the sound is realistic enough, the instruments, their size and positioning relative to each other. With classical music the image becomes very complex and takes a bit longer for me to construct, but eventually it is like I am sitting at a certain venue, perhaps a concert hall, a certain distance away from the orchestra and I can see the individual instruments and how they work together. The funny thing is that I did not realise until you spoke of colour that I somehow also construct the lighting of the venue and the general atmosphere and give that something like a colour filter. That's interesting, need to be more aware of that and see what it tells me!

Now I am very curious to read your next review! :D

Yes, exactly! I think I do it quicker with tracks that I know by heart, otherwise I'd be lost as heck. I usually analyse signatures best earlier into the demo session; otherwise, brain burn-in kicks in and it becomes my new "normal." :D My upcoming review will be quite different - I reckon - from the Aether one. I don't know how people are gonna respond to it, but I'm relying on my well-renowned analogy-making skills here more than ever, for comprehension's sake. :wink:

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #1,101 of 7,925
I'd like to second that, impressive how he wrote a whole chapter after a brief < 15 minutes listen. What a talent to have.

Yes, exactly! I think I do it quicker with tracks that I know by heart, otherwise I'd be lost as heck. I usually analyse signatures best earlier into the demo session; otherwise, brain burn-in kicks in and it becomes my new "normal." :D My upcoming review will be quite different - I reckon - from the Aether one. I don't know how people are gonna respond to it, but I'm relying on my well-renowned analogy-making skills here more than ever, for comprehension's sake. :wink:
I like your crispy-potato-chips-electric-guitar analogy, keep up the good work Deezel! :D

Finally received a home for my Ares II+, and coincidentally reached a thousand posts. This hobby has been very interesting. Doesn't feel so far, but it's almost a year since I started. :) Happy listening everyone! Cheers.

P_20171027_133135.jpg

P_20171027_130811.jpg

P_20171027_130847.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #1,102 of 7,925
I'd like to second that, impressive how he wrote a whole chapter after a brief < 15 minutes listen. What a talent to have.

I like your crispy-potato-chips-electric-guitar analogy, keep up the good work Deezel! :D

Finally received a home for my Ares II+, and coincidentally reached a thousand posts. This hobby has been very interesting. Doesn't feel so far, but it's almost a year since I started. :) Happy listening everyone! Cheers.

P_20171027_133135.jpg

P_20171027_130811.jpg

P_20171027_130847.jpg

That blue is gorgeous!

Oct 27, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #1,103 of 7,925

P_20171027_133135.jpg

P_20171027_130811.jpg

P_20171027_130847.jpg
Very nice! I love how you have found two very simple designs that are both still strikingly beautiful!

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #1,104 of 7,925
Very nice! I love how you have found two very simple designs that are both still strikingly beautiful!
Thanks! Just need another in red colour, with the Eos cable to complete the RGB formation.

But alas, not enough puppies..

CYEWVPCWc_AAUda.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,105 of 7,925
P_20171027_133135.jpg

Love the colors in this pic.. :)

Let's talk Ranfan into buying a red IEM. I hear Jomo's and VE's red shells look gorgeous..

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,108 of 7,925
it is not too bright the Horus for outdoor use?

Er... what?

Physically bright, or audibly bright? Either way, I don't understand the relation to outdoors. Are you afraid the sun will gleam off Horus and blind a person for life? Or are you terrorized by treble when birds are present?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back