Effect Audio cables thread
Apr 4, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #4,892 of 7,911
IMG_20210327_171337.jpg

EA pig tail adapter for 2.5 to 4.4 convertion. Really high quality and extremely luxury. If you love your EA cable, you may consider getting a pig tail adapter to maximize your listening experience.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #4,894 of 7,911
What cable did you get for your pigtail? Approximate cost since I assume that was a bespoke order? Thanks. :beerchug:

Please contact EA for your choice of cable for the pig tail. Since it is a bespoke order, a different cable will be priced sllghtly differently

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #4,895 of 7,911
So I have had Code 51 over for a while now and even though I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment (hence the recycling of some pictures), wanted to share some initial thoughts because I am very impressed with this cable.

Build quality is as always with EA very good and it is a strikingly beautiful cable. The titanium parts are very nice. I have quite a soft spot for titanium and so I love seeing a cable with parts like this. The y-split often looks bulky on pictures, but is actually really nice in real life. A little on the bigger side, but very light thanks to the titanium. The plug too has some titanium details, which I think looks superb paired with the carbon. The connectors are the new ConX, which makes Code 51 highly adaptable for use with a large number of IEM connectors. I just have 2-pin and MMCX IEMs, but to be able to switch this easily between those is amazing. I have done it a few times now and everything feels surprisingly solid and easy to use.

IMAGE_01.JPG

IMAGE_02.JPG

IMAGE_03.JPG

I have listened to a few different IEMs with Code 51 now, mainly the Empire Ears Wraith and Phantom, the 64 Audio Tia Trio and the Final A8000. I have a few more IEMs to go, but what I noticed is that Code 51 seems to pair well with everything. The Phantom are warmer, more intimate IEMs and there Code 51 seemed to open them up and increase transparency without introducing any brightness. The A8000 on the other hand are really bright, brutally so if you are more treble sensitive, and yet again Code 51 managed to lift the already insane level of detail of the A8000 to yet another level, while making the treble sound even more ethereal and perfectly smooth. I can be quite treble sensitive and the pairing A8000/Code 51 is still one I greatly enjoy listening to. It is like nothing is hidden with that pairing while at the same time it avoids piercing your ears with brightness. The Trio pair really well… Oh that bass… Excellent extension, great control and the mids feel clean and unaffected by the violence at the low end (sorry, been listening to Slipknot). Treble again has the Tia quality and nothing that could be remotely seen as peaky. Just gorgeous extension.

IMAGE_04.JPG

Then IEMs I have brought in especially to create a true summit-fi pairing for classical music: the Empire Ears Wraith. These have an unfortunate reputation thanks to their paradoxical highly sensitive yet power-hungry nature. I have been driving them with an external amp (Dethonray Honey H1) on high gain and the result is super airy and quite unlike other closed IEMs. They feel almost as spacious as IEMs with pressure relief systems (like ADEL that EE used to offer). This pairing is less warm than with the stock Cleopatra, but I personally prefer it, especially for classical music. Transparency is incredible and tonally it balances very well and very natural.

I think that Code 51 has something neutral about it, but without sacrificing naturalness, a combination that is not easy to achieve. Usually I find that cables add some level of colour or inject brightness, but not Code 51. Code 51 is absolutely there, it extends the stage, extends the bass and treble, provides air, clarity and improves transparency and resolution, yet somehow manages not to put its mark on the sound. There are very few cables I have heard that are like this, even in this price range. Usually I find TOTL cables to add something clinical to the sound, even EA’s own Horus did that in my opinion (read: distant memory) and that is not what I personally prefer. Like some exceptionally niche cables I have tried and couldn’t use because those were an ergonomic nightmare, Code 51 brings something especially natural at the highest level and does it with outstanding ergonomics. In every aspect (e.g. sound, synergy, build quality, ergonomics) I consider Code 51 to be among the very top contenders at this price range.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #4,896 of 7,911
I’m considering getting Leonidas II with ConX connections but I have a couple questions before doing so 1) Is the mmcx connection in the ConX compatible with the Z1R? 2) Do the connections get unintentionally unscrewed from the monitors from normal usage?

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #4,897 of 7,911
I’m considering getting Leonidas II with ConX connections but I have a couple questions before doing so 1) Is the mmcx connection in the ConX compatible with the Z1R? 2) Do the connections get unintentionally unscrewed from the monitors from normal usage?
I can't answer your first question, but I personally haven't had the ConX connectors unintentionally unscrew in everyday use. I've had them loosen ever-so-slightly - by about a quarter-turn, and usually only on one of the two sides - as I'm taking the IEMs out of my ears. But, it's never occurred when I'm just listening, whether sitting down or moving around.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #4,898 of 7,911
I’ll test it with the Z1R when my cables get back to me from EA and let you know :)

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #4,899 of 7,911
ConX will work with all standard MMCX connectors, so if the Z1R's connectors are not any different from others it should be fine.

But best to confirm that on the Z1R thread, or hear it firsthand from someone like @Damz87 :wink:

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Apr 6, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #4,900 of 7,911
It is definitely compatible with ier-z1r. I tried it, it plugs in, the sound comes out. I have to say though, IER-Z1R is the only iem I have that is mmcx, and it's darn tight. I worried I might break the cable or the iem when I tried to remove it, so I only put it in twice and haven't done it again, the second time I just left it on, but it definitely works.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #4,901 of 7,911
It is definitely compatible with ier-z1r. I tried it, it plugs in, the sound comes out. I have to say though, IER-Z1R is the only iem I have that is mmcx, and it's darn tight. I worried I might break the cable or the iem when I tried to remove it, so I only put it in twice and haven't done it again, the second time I just left it on, but it definitely works.

Yeah, this was exactly why I was asking. The Z1R have a slightly non-standard mmcx connection. EA folks, it might be worth considering having a Z1R connection for the ConX system.

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #4,902 of 7,911
Yeah, this was exactly why I was asking. The Z1R have a slightly non-standard mmcx connection. EA folks, it might be worth considering having a Z1R connection for the ConX system.
I had no issues removing my original MMCX Leo II from the Z1R sockets.

FA61CF33-0FF7-493B-98A0-F9D64428D5BF.jpeg

The ConX connectors do look a bit thicker though, so it might be more difficult. We shall see :)

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #4,903 of 7,911

The ConX connectors do look a bit thicker though, so it might be more difficult. We shall see :)
That Sony though... 🤤

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #4,904 of 7,911

As much as I love the Leo II I also love the stock Z1R cable. They definitely set the bar hella high for OEM cables.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,905 of 7,911
As much as I love the Leo II I also love the stock Z1R cable. They definitely set the bar hella high for OEM cables.
That's definitely a nice cable quality and sounding cable, but the hook design and materials would be a -1 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back